TRE discussion- 2005 edition

I've got a "Smart TRE". The reason I went with the smart one is that I wanted to be able to pick the gear (I used 4), whereas most TREs use gear 5.

When I investigated this a long time ago, I read that there were issues related to using 5th gear, and the 4th was a better gear to use. I don't remember the specifics as it was over 2 years ago.

The other thing I liked about the smart one is that I could easily disable it (pull the fuse or change the dip-switches). I'm not sure about Ivan's.

Another reason I didn't go with Ivan's was I talked to him, and he was an ass, so screw him, I went with somebody who gave better customer service.

My personal experience is that I DID notice a difference. It was the low RPM stumble that the TRE fixed. When my buddy bought his Busa, I did a test, and I noticed that the stumble was gone with the TRE on.

That said, I'll be selling mine soon. When I was up at the Busa Bash, I went to Wheeler's, and Ken changed the settings on my ECU (using the Teka box -- I think that's what it's called). No more stumble, and it's not running as rich. It feels like it has stronger pull.

I'm not sure what somebody will charge you (Ken charged me $90), but I got 5 dyno runs, plus Ken took the bike out to tweak the non-full throttle response.

I didn't have to buy any hardware, all the changes were done to the stock ECU.

Let me know if you have any questions, or are interested in purchasing a used smart TRE.

Back