Topped out a 2005 Hayabusa

Good testing, idea was right, but keep in mind a GPS is no where near accurate for speeds unless your doing it for many many miles and even then it would only be plus or minus 20mph. Only way to get true speed is a calibrated speedo for that bike. You can take your bike to the state patrol and they can tell you how far your speedo is off. Apply that precentage to your displayed speed and you have an idea of your real speed.

Thanks guys! I AM pretty happy that I hit 188mph
smile.gif
- that's over 300kph GPS speed ;)
ZeF, I'll be expecting some reports from you too
cool.gif
. Btw, my speedo tops out at 185 mph (300kph), but when I hit 185mph on the speedo, I'm really only.. hehe.. "only" doing about 168mph. The busa's speedo is quite optimistic
tounge.gif

Also, I know that the GPS is also not exact (if something, I think it shows a slower speed than your actual, because there seems to be a lag when you're accelerating). Up to know though, I think th eGPS is the most accurate device available to me.

I want to get into drag racing too. I'm waiting for some things to get in before I can take the bike to the track.
What's better for the 1/4 mile, having the TRE on, or not having the TRE ?

I want to get into drag racing too. I'm waiting for some things to get in before I can take the bike to the track.
What's better for the 1/4 mile, having the TRE on, or not having the TRE ?
Start a thread on that topic, it's the proverbial can of worms. Everyone will have an opinion, prolly all different. My suggestion is try it with it, and try it without, back to back 5 runs w/ it, 5 w/o. See which average is faster.

Get your speed checked by a speed trap, Try getting some bike speed loving cop to help you out in testing.
i read somewhere that the mirrors do not slow you on a busa because they are part of the aerodynamics or something (dont know how true this is)

get a powercommander, have it tuned,.... your bike is pretty much good-to-go.. but a lil' more ponies would help to break the 190 mark for u.

thx, nice bike, nice write-up.

c.

Get your speed checked by a speed trap, Try getting some bike speed loving cop to help you out in testing.
HAHA, that's funny
tounge.gif
. I'm sorry... it's just that for me a speed-loving cop is an oxymoron
sad.gif
. I wish I knew a cool cop like that... but so far, no luck. They all think that going a few miles per hour over the limit immediatly makes me a criminal that puts other people's lives in danger .....................
sad.gif

so I try to stay away from them.

sad.gif

Question...how does the busa know when to start limiting speed? I would assume it goes by whatever the speedometer goes by, so why doesn't it limit it about the time the speedo reads 185?...or is the speedo off because of a mechanical tolerance issue inside the mechinism?

Busa limits speed by knowing it's in 6th gear and what RPM it's running. The speedo has nothing to do with it.

To the best of my knowledge, the limiter works by restricting the fuel and ignition to 1 of the cylinders...effectively shutting it down.

That's why a TRE works...the ECU never sees the 6th gear input.

It doesn't use the same input.

The speedo is off the sensor on the sprocket/tranny.

The Limiter is off the ECU/RPM!

It shuts the bike down at 10,200RPM IN 6TH GEAR regardless of the speed or speedo reading. That's why even if you change sprockets you can go faster or slower depending what your speed in 6th at 10,200RPM's is!
wink.gif

I ain't bustin' chops or anything, but what kind of fuel mileage did you get by doing those runs? I'm totally curious how the machine consumes fuel at high speeds.

That's the great thing about motorcycles: you can run them hard and fast, and they still deliver better fuel economy than most passenger cars.

Tell that to the next doofus who pulls up next to you at the pump in his Hummer H2 and asks, "What kind of mileage do you get on THAT?" Make this your standard reply: "40 MPG (I have a '98 Honda VFR800), 140 MPH (yeah, the 'Busa blows THAT to sh*t), cuts through traffic like a hot knife through butter, and I can fart all I want and will never smell it."
jump9.gif

<!--EDIT|VFRGuy008
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119719442 -->

Very cool write-up ! Do you think that the fender can cause drag also at that speed?!
rock.gif

Very nice run there. I just gps'd mine the other day and got a whopping 177 out of it and the only thing done is the reflectors are removed. Could prolly have gotten more out of it if i wasnt heading into the wind when i ran it. Oh yeah just dont try it in a baggy shirt it WILL beat the snot outta your sides from the sleeves.

Back