I did some Top Speed runs today...

Lucky34

Registered
Hey guys. Here's the deal. I got my Smart T.R.E. and wanted to do top speed runs BEFORE and AFTER installing the T.R.E.
Here's my conclusion... Going fast is NOT easy. Clothing is KEY! I've lost some weight, and my jacket is a little loose... at 170+mph it HURTS (didn't stop me from doing more than one run though
tounge.gif
)

Ok, My bike is ALMOST all stock. Before I installed the T.R.E. the only mods I had done to the bike were putting a Xenon High Beam light, Putting Fairing Grills, removing warning labels and reflectors, and a Dark Smoke Zero Gravity Double-bubble Screen. Nothing that changed "performance", except maybe the double-bubble screen.

I did 3 runs. In the first run, I burried the needle in the speedometer (185 mph indicated), and the GPS said 168mph.

Second run: Also burried the needle. Held the throttle until around 10,400 rpm's, and the GPS reading was 176mph.

Then I took a little break. Pulled over to the side of the road. Took off the seat, popped up the gas tank, took the TRE out of it's "Schnitz Racing" bag, and installed it on the busa. A fellow biker on a cruiser saw me on the side of the road and stopped to see if I needed help. It was very nice of him (no cager would EVER stop to help a biker
tounge.gif
....) I told him I was ok, and he went on his way. After finishing the TRE installation, I was ready for the Third Run.....

Third run: As I started the bike, I realized the throttle was more responsive in the lower gears (TRE). Again, the speedometer needle got stuck at the 185mph indicated, and I kept reving up until I felt like the jacket was gonna pull my arms out of their sockets (I was as tucked in as I could be... don't laugh... but I even stretched before this run
tounge.gif
) Anyways, with TRE and all, and ALMOST at 11,000 rpm's, the most I could get was 183mph out of the GPS.

After all the runs, I was pretty happy that not only did I burried the needle in a Hayabusa (which is faster than most people will EVER go on land), but also broke 180mph ACTUAL speed, GPS recorded and all! Now, many people say "Top speed is retarded because it doesn't take any skill", but that's not entirely true. Any mistake at that speed could cost you your life, and holding on is pretty hard, too. After I finished the 183mph run, I was sore. My arms were really tired, my neck was sore, and I'm pretty sure my pants were soiled
tounge.gif
... just kidding... but still... going past 180mph GPS is not as easy as people make it sound.

Now for the pics...
thumbs-up.gif

I know you all love the pics
wink.gif

First pic: The Road! This is the only curve there is... after this cuve, theres about 20+ miles of perfectly STRAIGHT road...

01._The_Road___Start.jpg

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Some of the scenery... it was a BEAUTIFUL day today.... clear skies, temperature in the 70's.... don't you just love Florida
smile.gif

03._The_Road___Roadside_Scenery.jpg

Ok, NOW for the PROOF....
This was my first run. I pegged it until the needle hit 185mph as indicated by the speedometer. I think it was about 10,000 rpms... This was before I installed the TRE, and the GPS read 168mph.

<!--EDIT|Busaman86
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101664191 -->

04._First_Run___168mph___No_TRE_edit.jpg

My second run: Also without the TRE installed. Burried the Needle at 185mph indicated. I believe I was at 10,400rpms or so, and the gps read 176mph. (you can see where I had the GPS mounted on the bike. I just used the velcro strip that came with the GPS... It holds up pretty well.

<!--EDIT|Busaman86
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101664248 -->

05._Second_Run___176mph___No_TRE_edit.jpg

The busa all ready to go... Smart Timing Retarder Eliminator Installed!!!
thumbs-up.gif

<!--EDIT|Busaman86
Reason for Edit: "pic??"|1101514936 -->

Third, and LAST run. This is AFTER I installed the Smart TRE.
Going 183mph GPS, is INSANE. it is an unbelievable experience...
Anyways... I felt that the bike was at it's limit... It was accelerating really slowly at that speed. I thought with the TRE mod, it could go 200mph...
rock.gif
.... eitherway, it was kind of windy, so that slowed me down. My jacket wasn't the right size, so it was acting like a freaking parachute... the rear tire is kind off worn out (1,000 miles plus a few burnouts on it).
Anyways, here's the picture of the 183mph GPS recorded...

<!--EDIT|Busaman86
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101664705 -->

09._Third_Run___183mph___With_TRE_Installed.jpg

Now for the consequences of going 183 mph....
See the roadkill on the bike???
these friggin bugs are HUUGE...

11._Bugs_on_Bike.jpg

Well... this was my ride for today
smile.gif

I'm sorry about the size of the pics for you 56k'ers... it's about 2mb's worth of pictures... but I hope you guys enjoyed them...

Now for some discussion....
Why couldn't I go faster?
What should I do to go faster? (besides wearing tight-fitting clothing, and hoping I've got tailwind)
Should I do the Airbox Mod? (I'm still a little unsure though, because I don't know what are the results of CUTTING up the airbox. From what I can see, when you are off the throttle, there is a flap that closes the hole in the airbox... If I do the mod, this flap would be gone and air would ALWAYS be comming into the engine... Didn't suzuki engineers put that flap there for a reason?)
I'm also planning on getting some Yoshimura Slip-ons... Both cans for under $500.00. (I'm not doing this for strict racing purposes... I just REALLY like the way it sounds/looks, and I definitely want to have 2 pipes comming out the bike, even though the 4
cool.gif
1 full systems would give me better performance gains)
Should I expect any performance improvement from the slip-ons? (My guess is very little... just a nice deep sound, and a couple of beautiful cans...)
Can tyres help me out? Does the fact that they are a little bit worn out cause a big difference in top speed? or would it not be very significant?

Great pics & story! Good tight-fitting armored leather jacket solve that problem.

bluegrab.gif

Yeah... the jacket would help alot... I for the 183mph run I actually TUCKED the leather jacket IN MY PANTS
laugh.gif
. It must have looked real odd... a guy in the middle of nowhere putting his jacket in his pants... I also folded the extra leather around the torso in front, and pinned it down against the tank (when in full tuck position).

sounds like a fun day
thanks for the pics
My new Vanson jacket is so smooth at speed such a big difference from my fieldsheer jacket

<!--EDIT|atticdog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101521061 -->

I've noticed that the jacket makes a real difference also. I'm sure a tailwind won't hurt things either.

What does a GPS like that run you, I may need to put that on my Christmas list?
rock.gif

Back