Ohio State Police pulled me over

Sorry for the misfortune.........I however did not know you were required for 1 year after either. As for the sans helmet in general, just dismiss the conversations and comments here, as it's one you can never win.

Think of it as a $110.00 stupid tax,,,jk dude,,pay it,put the helmet on,and live another day.
cool.gif
thumb_up.gif

Ya, the law has been like that for a long time, but I grew up here, so it was just known that you have to wear a helmet while you have your temps and then 1 year after you have your endorsment. It has been so long, but I remember there was something on my license. Sorry that happend man, you are right, of course they can tell from your plate, assuming the person riding is the person it belongs to, they can see why type of endorsement you have.

With bike nights being every night of the week they are all out there looking for us.. Last week two cops were just sitting in front of Iron Pony (for those not from here, it's a huge motorcycle parts store) and pulling people over right and left, it sucks.

Im sorry that you got a ticket. Troopers are extremely strict so its no surprise. As a point of clarification though. It is not illegal to run a plate bdog. An officer can run the plate any time for any reason. The Supreme court has established many years ago that A license plate is in the public domain and therefore not subject to any expected privacy. The plate can be run any time for any or no reason at all. Just bad luck. Wish it had not happened to you.

Sucks man but you really have no grounds to fight it. Sounds like you caught the LEO in a bad mood for sure.
bs.gif

As for the helmet,
I rode bikes for 8 years without a helmet. But that was also cruisers that could hardly get out of their own way. Dumb reason? sure but that was my thinking at the time. Now I wear my helmet 95% of the time. I sometimes don't give the bike enough respect and I would hate to NOT have a helmet on when the Busa bites back. That and the "Sunday Drivers" scare the hell out of me. The other 5% would be 1 mile trips to the store during lunch break at work and so forth.

I am to the point now where I feel just as weird without my helmet as I did with it on when I 1st got my Busa..

Not wearing your helmet is about as taboo as buying a Busa as your 1st bike on these forums. They are things you just don't want to talk about without feeling like you are in 1st grade and being sent to the corner for a time out.
poke.gif

screw that. go to district attorney's office, explain that you didn't know, promise to wear your helmet, see if they'll drop it.

If our bikes ever get stolen(knock on wood)its nice to know the cops are running every plate so we are all guaranteed to get our bikes back!!!! NOT

+1 on going to Da and pleading your case. If you sound sincere they will probably drop. don't go on Monday's everyone haste being at work on Mondays. HAHA!

As far as when and when not to wear helmet? Well there isn't any safe time to ride without one if you are dealing with the public. But the helmet thing is
deadhorse.gif

Yeah, Ohio sucks. I can attest to that. I got a $120 speeding fine for doing 73 on the interstate in a moving van, towing a car.
OK, maybe I was going at a fair clip.
cool.gif

How did you ever get your endorsement withought even knowing about the 1 yr. minimum with the helmet?

How did you ever get your endorsement withought even knowing about the 1 yr. minimum with the helmet?
Easy, the class never said at the tuesday class meeting or the weekend either. I never heard of it period. My wife took the course the week before I did and she never heard of it either. Plus she is from columbus, ohio and she never heard of it. I apologize to all for previous posts if I was a little disrespectable, I was assumming you were talking about me not knowing. I normally, 98% wear my helmet. I got caught yesterday, picking up my bike without my equipment. So I assummed that I was ok since the endorsement. Either way, I do agree and I personally will use my helmet.

I didn't even read all of the responses. But will say this. If you just got your endorsement, there are all sorts of things you have to do for the first year. You need to re-check your rule book. Just two that come to mind are the helmet rule, and your passenger has to have a helmet too.

As far as them running tags, get used to it, they are doing it everywhere. Some places even have automated tag runners that scan every plate the cars come across. And if they run a tag just about every popo can tell who the owner is supposed to be and whether or not the owner is licensed.

Easy, the class never said at the tuesday class meeting or the weekend either. I never heard of it period. My wife took the course the week before I did and she never heard of it either. Plus she is from columbus, ohio and she never heard of it. I apologize to all for previous posts if I was a little disrespectable, I was assumming you were talking about me not knowing. I normally, 98% wear my helmet. I got caught yesterday, picking up my bike without my equipment. So I assummed that I was ok since the endorsement. Either way, I do agree and I personally will use my helmet.
If I remember correctly, it should have been covered in the class.

It was also covered in your temp packet.

It was in the class book.

It was in the motorcycle specifc rule book.

I'm in Ohio, I remember hearing it and reading it.

Ask for a court date. Plead your case in front of a judge. What do you have to lose?

...oh, and please wear a helmet always.
beerchug.gif

Thats what we are talking about. Most of us on the forum feel that not wearing a helmet on ANY bike is insane. If we didn't care about the members we would make no comment at all. I have more than 45 years riding experience, and last Sept. a deer ran out in front of me while I was in a corner doing no more that 45-50mph. I went down hard and I don't think I would have survived had it not been for the helmet that absorbed the shock of taking out a 6"x6" metal sign pole with my head.

IMG00289.jpg

This is where you get to hear "Ignorance of the law is no excuse......Blah,Blah,Blah" crap. Pay the ticket and be done with it......The state isn't gonna give up their bulls*#t revenue voucher (i.e.-your ticket)just to help you out.
guns.gif

Oh and BTW- freddom of choice is ..................................nevermind..........don't get me started on this

This is whats left of my helmet after my wreak. At the time I was 50 years old with 26 years ridding experience. Guess what, it wasn't my fault. A 64 year old lady gabbing on her cell phone ran a stop sign the stopped right in the middle of the Hwy in front of me. I got some road rash, but no broken bones and from the looks of the helmet it would have been fatal if I wasn't wearing the helmet!
This is why everyone here jumps the minute we hear "No helmet or No gear" We all care that's why. If I could get just on person to ware a helmet and or all the gear, than maybe my accident can be of some use, a lesson some one else will NOT have to learn the hard way.

KBC_sm.JPG

Back