Ohio State Police pulled me over

mvanlone

Registered
I passed my endorsement and in this fantastic state of ohio with no helmet law. Even if you pass your endorsement you still cannot ride a motorcycle without helmet for a whole year (did not know this). Buddy and I were going up 270 to the keystone bike night today. We weren't speeding or anything. We just merged from I70 to I270 going north and when we merged to the left there was a state trooper behind us like 8 car lengths. He sped up some and when traffic lightened up we merged to the right. Police car merged left and lit me up. I pull over. The very next thing out of his mouth when he got out of car was where was my helmet. I explained to him that I did not have my helmet and I have my endorsment. He stated before I even gave my license that even after you pass your endorsment you MUST wear a helmet for a full year. He gave me a $110.00 ticket. Besides people trying to call me a squid and all that, I normally do wear my helmet and this very day the helmet was left in my car at columbus of motorsports since I got my bike from there about a hour ago. I asked the trooper why he pulled me over he stated that he ran my tag to see if the bike was stolen and than could tell that I am still supposed to be wearing helmet. Again, I did not get pulled over for probable cause, but from him running plate and than knowing that I did not have helmet and than pulled me over. Is this still probable cause? I think this whole thing is BS. I HATE OHIO......

I think you're screwed bro. Take it as a lesson that you should be wearing it at all times. You should know that Columbus cops are pricks. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??

hell no id fight it in court. first of all it could have been one of your friends who has had an endorsement for over a year he was just being a typical jeroff that some leos are there wither good or jerk offs you just had a run in with one of the pricks.

YOUR PLATE DOES NOT TELL WHEN YOU GOT YOUR ENDORSEMENT ONLY YOUR LICENSE TELLS THAT. i WOULD GO TO COURT ON THAT ONE.

I don't even want to start to get into this conversation. I'm done. If people want to be a stupid then so be it.

YOUR PLATE DOES NOT TELL WHEN YOU GOT YOUR ENDORSEMENT ONLY YOUR LICENSE TELLS THAT.  i WOULD GO TO COURT ON THAT ONE.
This cannot be true. He already knew before I got off the bike and gave him my license. He was also telling me when I got my permit off the computer screen in his cruiser and everything. So he knew. He probably checked my tag got my name and than scanned my name....all I can say....He had the info and that is why he pulled me over.

I don't even want to start to get into this conversation. I'm done. If people want to be a stupid then so be it.
What Paul said
thumb_up.gif

How am I being stupid? I have not lived in Ohio that long less than 2 years. Other states that I have lived once you have gotten your endorement and if you are in a state that you can ride without helmet if you wish, you can. There is no wait time. I am not stupid, I just did not know about that information. So if you don't have anything constructive don't post. ONLY STUPID people post when they have no information that is worth posting.

How am I being stupid? I have not lived in Ohio that long less than 2 years. Other states that I have lived once you have gotten your endorement and if you are in a state that you can ride without helmet if you wish, you can. There is no wait time. I am not stupid, I just did not know about that information. So if you don't have anything constructive don't post. ONLY STUPID people post when they have no information that is worth posting.
I think they are talking about the absence of the helmet, not about the knowledge of the law.

I'm with GMbusa on this one, I couldn't even imagine getting on the busa without a lid.
That's prolly because you have a helmet law and have no choice. We dont have a helmet law. I wont ride without one either but I used to not wear one at all. Had to change my entire way of thinking in order to want to wear it. Now it's just like putting on socks before boots.
winkold.gif

YOUR PLATE DOES NOT TELL WHEN YOU GOT YOUR ENDORSEMENT ONLY YOUR LICENSE TELLS THAT.  i WOULD GO TO COURT ON THAT ONE.
This cannot be true. He already knew before I got off the bike and gave him my license. He was also telling me when I got my permit off the computer screen in his cruiser and everything. So he knew. He probably checked my tag got my name and than scanned my name....all I can say....He had the info and that is why he pulled me over.
Thats what im saying the plate only gives you the owner, and vehicle reg. info. He then got your name and license from the actual reg. and with out probable cause thats illegal to run a plate. Just like its illegal to run radar with out them sitting there with there parking lights on. But the trick is proving it. YOur word against there's.

Blah blah blah, don't be so damn condescending. I agree that on the freeway or when you know you are going to be riding in unsafe environments, you should wear your lid. Otherwise it is your digression. Him not wearing a helmet isn't putting anyone else's lives in danger but his own! I understand your frustration with the law however if you took the endorsement test, you should be aware of the law. Go to court and plead no contest with no explanation and you should get your ticket reduced. Furthermore, I am sure you all with turbos, nitrous, and built motors never speed on public streets...right? Should we start a discussion about how unsafe that is?

Regardless of what the cop is doing, I hate to tell you but ultimately it's drivers responsibility to know, period. It's not someone else's responsibility to tell you, period.

i dot like wearing a helmet but i do itbecause  i value my head.. Cant afford to smash my head into the ground. yes i feel restricted but im not trying to end up in the morgue for a little bit of comfort.

Even if i have my screen up on my helmet i always get hit with bugs and rocks and such. Can imagine not having one at all.

He was talkin about not wearin a helmet. And to racerV, yea it's his decision, but saying that the highway is the only unsafe place to ride is just ignorant. People get hurt and killed all the time riding around town. It's never smart to ride around without a helmet, period. Still his decision, but the highway is no more dangerous than riding around town.

Think of it as a $110.00 stupid tax,,,jk dude,,pay it,put the helmet on,and live another day.
cool.gif

Back