Pulled over yesterday by LEO

Shanling

Man ***** Extreme
Donating Member
Registered
I have been told many times to expect to be pulled over at random in SoCal and the LEOs check bikes and their riders to make sure that they are not stolen and the riders have their endorsements. It happened to me yesterday as I was riding along the coast. Pulled into an overlook to check my voicemail on my cell phone and after a couple of minutes, I pulled out. I saw the LEO pulling in as I was pulling out. He slowed and spotted me and came right after me. Rode behind me for 2-3 minutes then the lights came on. Thought about running but my SIDI boots are not like tennis shoes and he was younger and probably had more stamina. Did I mention that thought occurred after I had pulled over, removed my helmet and had given him my license and registration? Small detail...
ices_rofl.gif

The guy checked me out and let me go. He did compliment me on the bike though. And with my warped sense of humor, I asked that if he ever saw someone else riding it, please pull them over too! Lastly, he was a little surprised when he saw that I was 48. LEO was really nice about it and commented that he normally sees younger people on that type of bike. It was a little embarrassing to be standing on the side of the road with every car that passed staring at you. Bet they were thinking that it served me right!
jump9.gif

THAT'S GOOD TO HERE, BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN HARD ON THE PO-PO THE LAST OF COUPLE OF THREADS. BUT STILL THEIR IS SO MANY DIRTY PO-PO OUT ON THE STREETS. JUST BE CAREFUL. (SORRY TO MY FELLOW PO-PO MEMBERS BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS )
mad.gif

In my area that wouldn't wash, it's called probable cause and around here it's required. Anyway I hear that soon in SC an officer will have to issue either a warning or ticket if a vehicle is pulled. The Supremes still hold to Reasonable Suspicion, but in the middle of the day, pulled over, that would be hard to articulate.
rock.gif

(dadofthree @ Mar. 18 2007,07:55) In my area that wouldn't wash, it's called probable cause and around here it's required. Anyway I hear that soon in SC an officer will have to issue either a warning or ticket if a vehicle is pulled. The Supremes still hold to Reasonable Suspicion, but in the middle of the day, pulled over, that would be hard to articulate.  
rock.gif
I omitted something. He gave me probable cause as soon as he walked up to me. He said he couldn't read my plate because it is mounted vertical and not horizontal. Also he advised that California law requires the plate be mounted vertical and lite at night. I know I was being checked out because he wanted to know where the VIN number was and as we were looking for it, he said nevermind. His dispatch radio'd him telling him that the bike was not reported stolen and registered to me. After that, he didn't want to see the VIN anymore.

I thought the guy was very nice about it and he didn't make me feel like I had done anything wrong. Other than the embarrassment of being stared at by every passer by, it was a pleasant experience. Now I am not saying that I want to be pulled over but since I was in the situation, I am giving my assessment of it.
smileyexhibit.gif

(DC TONY @ Mar. 18 2007,09:14) THAT'S GOOD TO HERE, BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN HARD ON THE PO-PO THE LAST OF COUPLE OF THREADS.  BUT STILL THEIR IS SO MANY DIRTY PO-PO OUT ON THE STREETS. JUST BE CAREFUL.       (SORRY TO MY FELLOW PO-PO MEMBERS BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS )            
mad.gif
The fact that you continually refer to them as "PO-PO", that you type in all caps, and that you hate the cops for reasons you have not specified....

Makes me wonder about your maturity, english skills, and legal nature in regards to running.

Most of the people who hate the police force on a continual basis that I know ... have a reason to hate them (because they did something!)

So live on "DIRTY PO PO" keep shooting bikers who try to run over you, and while your at it, thank you very much for sending the SWAT Team into my girlfriend's neighbors apartment unit.  You scared the Sh*t out of her, but you did bust up a meth lab.  

Nothing but props to the 90% of the police force that is really out there doing a civil service.  For the bad apples, thanks for not being criminals instead.

I like how they do random stops like that to see if the bike is stolen, it will definately help someone out that has had their bike stolen.

(GhostRiderTL @ Mar. 18 2007,12:35) I like how they do random stops like that to see if the bike is stolen, it will definately help someone out that has had their bike stolen.
I don't know about Cali, but in Texas they would have to get real lucky to catch someone though.

Most bikes stolen are never seen again, since you can brake the bike down (with a team and tools) in less than a day.

In Cali, if your bike isn't COMPLETELY stock, they have probable cause to pull you over.

Undertail, signal lights, license plate, HID headlight, license plate light, exhaust, etc....

And you can be sighted for any of them. Most cops don't, but the exhaust mods are becoming a hot topic now
sad.gif

"Other than the embarrassment of being stared at by every passer by, it was a pleasant experience. Now I am not saying that I want to be pulled over but since I was in the situation, I am giving my assessment of it."

Hopefully you were wearing some cool duds, and the chicks were checking you out !!!. Besides you were standing next to a Busa, and it was yours !!!! "Have a nice day officer", VROOmmmm........
super.gif

It has been my experience that if your polite to the cops, they usually give you a break. (unless you got busted for breaking the sound barrier
eek2.gif
) The last half dozen times I've been stopped for speeding, (and thats a span of about 12 years) I either got a verbal warning and 'please slow down' or a non-points ticket.

Ps: Got pulled over in our DD for a spot check, thats what the MD trooper said anyway. "I have to check your numbers". This was in an 86 Grand Marquis. ROFLMAO

I would prefer to get stopped for a random check than to have my ride stolen and never found any day.

Cool story!

I've had a few random stops around here. Mostly checking for stolen bikes. That's fine with me--just scares the SHID out of me when they hit the lites. Last guy happend to be a friend of my son's (son is a County Sheriff). Wound up taken about bikes and his GSXR 1000! COOL!

I have been pulled over three times on the busa in the last year and a half. No tickets because I wasn't breaking the law, at the time.
biggrin.gif
I don't mind, just think they wanted to check out the busa. LEO is surprised to see my 56 year old mug when I take my helmet off too. I think most will cut a busa rider some slack especially when you are geared up.

At the end of my last traffic stop, as he was getting back in his car, the following exchange took place:

"Hey, just remember one thing..."

"What's that?"

"I didn't run!"

"Thanks for that!" He smiled as he said it.

cool.gif

Back