Sad Story

It's truly a sad story... And no matter what we can never say anyone deserves it despite his mistake not wearing protection... But riding without a helmet is sorta like swimming with the great white - without a cage!

Gee thanks Randy, didnt need that visual!
puke.gif

I have to admit I have come to the realization after buying my 'Busa that a helmet is always a good idea. I used to ride cruisers and never wore, well any protective gear, I decided to get the 'Busa and with it riding jacket, gloves, and helmet, still working on the boots. I will say all the arguments I had against the gear I now see where all imature and quite frankly stupid when you come right down to it.

I met a guy who told me how he ended up in a wheelchair. He was riding one day and when he came to the stop sign he put his feet down and one side touch and the other side did not and he went over. He was not wearing a helmet and his head hit the road. He never walk or ride again he was paralyzed . After that day I always wear my helmet. So even in these hot days always wear your helmet.
On december 18th '06 I was speeding to work around 308pm. I took the freeway on ramp and as I was gaining speed a harley rider blew past me like a bat out of hell. I even said whoa $*!& cause I thought I was going fast. I was going about 75mph. There was a small veer to the left before the tunnel ahead and the harley rider couldn't /didn't lean hard enough to make the turn. He drifted into the guard rail. As soon as this happened it severed his leg and he did a 360 spin around followed by slamming into the pavement. The guy was a goner. His bike kept on going unmanned for about 200 yards before it hit the other guard rail and came to a halt.

I remember the cars in the front jamming on their brakes. I panicked and swerved into the shoulder to prevent flying into the car in front of me. I pulled over and called 911. A guy driving a boat pulled over and ran up to the guy and shook his head no at me.

I then called my job explaining I would be late to work.

The first copy arrived quickly. Less then 6 minutes. As soon as he showed up he stopped the entire freeway. I was about 15 feet from where he stopped everything. So I got off my bike and just sat there looking at the guy. The cop comes up to me and asks if I was heading to work (I was in uniform) I told him yes I was. He radio's to the cop ahead who is inspecting the downed bike and then tells me to follow the instructions of the officer ahead. Ride slow and don't run over any pieces of the bike or the guy. I ride slow. As I approached the cop by the bike he tells me you see that guy back there? You punks better take it easy on the road before you end up like this guy. I nod then start riding off...it's like 328 and I start at 330. I figured i'm late already so I cruise it to work.

I show up at work and as i'm parking my bike this guy in a harley pulls up with a tank top, surf shorts and flip flops on. I explain to him what I just saw and I told him he's crazy to be out riding like that.

He tells me "You know what the only difference between me and you is?"
I said "What?"
He said "If we both got into an accident, you'd live to regret it."

A part of me was thinking he was right. Thinking back on that story how that guy got paralyzed. It saddens me because I don't know if I could live being paralyzed. As much as i'd rather just go like that harley guy did. A lot of me has a lot to live for but not sure if I could handle life after that.

Back