Don't hit deer!!

Gpmo

Registered
Got a call yesterday, my buddy was on the way home from work on his F4i around 9pm and hit a deer doing between 50 and 65. He's not really sure. Spent 24 hour in hospital. He broke his pelvis, collar bone, and two ribs. Said he landed on his shoulder and head. The guy randomly wears a helmet and jacket. But this time he was wearing both. He told me today he will no longer not wear gear again.

He also said he was driving w/o his high beams and only saw the deer when it was right in front of him, within 10 feet. I think that my group of friends will all be purchasing some HIDs here short and hope it helps a bit.

Anyhow bike faired ok.

And Tried to keep the deer but was old no way :p.

Be safe guys, never know what will jump at ya.

image-1922205580.jpg

image-2605748440.jpg

image-566463786.jpg

ahh man my biggest fear besides a car turning in front of me. Some make it out ok and others get jacked up. One of my buddies hit a dear and broke his collarbone 2 weeks after getting his Ducati. Another hit a dear with a passenger on the back and actually jumped it. Both wer ok, the deer not so much. I wonder if anyone runs deer whistles on their bikes.

now im back on 2nd shift....going to be doing those late night rides home.... gonna have to be watching for sure...

Ouchy, hope he heals up quick.

Its because of things like this that Im goin hunting this year. I dont like the woods, sitting in trees, getting up early or really any aspect of hunting, but Im gonna sleigh Bambi this year on princepal. Mmmm, Jerky.

Damn Deer :firing: Blow Em Up!!

Glad your buddy survived it!

I see deer on a regular bases on my road YES a 55Watt HID does light em up while they are standing on the side of the road.

ahh man my biggest fear besides a car turning in front of me. Some make it out ok and others get jacked up. One of my buddies hit a dear and broke his collarbone 2 weeks after getting his Ducati. Another hit a dear with a passenger on the back and actually jumped it. Both wer ok, the deer not so much. I wonder if anyone runs deer whistles on their bikes.

Funny you should say that because I was just thinking the same thing yesterday...

...actually I was thinking "I wonder if I should get a deer whistle for my bike?... do deer whistles actually work?... and I wonder if the turbo on my bike will act as a deer whistle?"

Hmmm

I'm glad he's OK and thank goodness for gear!

One of the biggest worries where I live are all the deer. I had one very close call and it was while on The Ride for Kids a couple of years ago. My friend (on an XX) and I were in the middle of a sea of Harleys, going maybe 35 or 40 mph. I guess all the noise from all the bikes scared a deer, and he darted between the guy in front of me and my Busa. It was so fast, all I recall is seeing the flash and hearing his hoof hit the pavement right by my front tire. Somehow, he didn't cause an accident, and when we stopped for lunch, my friend on the XX behind me said "How in the hell did you NOT hit that deer!" I wished I'd had it on video...it was scary as hell and surreal all at once :laugh:

Don't care for a repeat though...

He also said he was driving w/o his high beams and only saw the deer when it was right in front of him, within 10 feet. I think that my group of friends will all be purchasing some HIDs here short and hope it helps a bit.

If your friend didn't see a deer standing in his lane until he was ten feet from it, he don't need HID's he needs glasses!

now im back on 2nd shift....going to be doing those late night rides home.... gonna have to be watching for sure...

Hey, don't be messin around with them deers, snatch that "Peace Maker" off yore hip and pop that vermin! Be Safe & protect yourself! :thumbsup:

If your friend didn't see a deer standing in his lane until he was ten feet from it, he don't need HID's he needs glasses!

The deer wasn't in his lane standing there. It was running across the road. He hit it while the deer was jumping the lane. The road runs right next to a field.

i was riding home one nite through a farming area, about 40 mph & saw a deer standing on side the road. as i was coming up on it & figured i'd beep to scare it back... apparently suzuki horns must sound like a deer mating call because the damn thing started to run along side of me as i was going by. was the weirdest thing.

i was riding home one nite through a farming area, about 40 mph & saw a deer standing on side the road. as i was coming up on it & figured i'd beep to scare it back... apparently suzuki horns must sound like a deer mating call because the damn thing started to run along side of me as i was going by. was the weirdest thing.

hhaa it wasnt the suuki horn it wanted.. :lol:

Een a video of a guy on a gsxr hit a deer and cut the deer in half. He had a camera on his bike. He pulled over and all his buddies were freaking out!! He then turned around picked up his broken fairings and kept on riding. Probably decided 2 check his underwear when he got home:rofl:

Ill be getting my deer by rifle not bike this year. Maybe I could paint my bullets nose like a Busa or is that just tempting fate?

Hope he recovers. I hit a deer 2 years ago. Installed this Powered Kuryakyn unit on the left fork leg. Does it work? Not totally sure but after hitting a deer at 45 I am doing anything to prevent a future crash. Maybe a false piece of mind for me!

Bike 2011 016.jpg

Hitting a deer is my biggest concern in the areas I ride in, and the occasional bear. Sometimes there is nothing you can do when they dart out of the woods at a full sprint. Hope your friend heals up quick.

I was riding a twisty road last week with a friend up here in Oregon and he's out in front about 200'.

I came around the next corner and my buddy is flashing his brake light for me while doing about 10mph with 2 deer crossing the road about 30' in front of him.

I lay on my horn and head straight at the 2 deer...accelerating towards them as if to attack them...

Aside from them looking at me, it had nearly zero effect. They just kept walking.

I always try to "chase" animals off the road in the hopes that they will get the idea that vehicles aren't friendly. It seems to work with dogs and cats, but deer it has little effect.

The only time I've seen an effect with a deer is when driving my Freightliner with roof mounted air horns... those actually made the deer jump a little and clear the road, but these things are so loud that you can *feel* them in your body if you're standing in front of the truck when they go off. That was about the case when I used them on deer... 30-40' in front of the big truck, laying on the air horns and running the truck right at the deer.
That made a *little* difference, but not enough that it would have avoided an accident if I hadn't already seen the deer start to cross the road.

I think nature has built a 2-3 second delay into the flight response of deer so that slower animals can actually feed on them... it's the only thing that makes sense to how they respond.

Sean

Just to add:... GSXR 1000 with Brocks exhaust (really flippin loud), and a Turbo Busa with the turbo whining away.... I'm sure they heard us coming for at least a mile away.

Back