State trooper problems---need help!!!!

busastalker05

Registered
On thursday morning i was headed to work on my busa when at aprox. 7:40 a state trooper pulled me over. he got out of his car and as he walked to wards me asks me "do you know what i pulled you over for? " i said no because i wasnt speeding and my tags are all current, i had my helmet off sitting on the tank when he points to it and says do you know what those mean, ( refering to my 2 mohawks i have on the helmet) i said no, he then ask it again my answer is still no, and he asked again still the answer is know, i told him put them on for fun, he said fun huh? i said yes, he then asked again if i knew what they meant, i said no and i am not a part of any group or have any affiliations. he then went to his car where he wrote me a ticket. He came back and said that according to the NEW law that mohawks and spikes are now illegal, and that you cannot have anything protruding from your helmet. He then said that those where the Legion of Doom mohawks, i said nothing and then he asked you dont want to know what legion of doom is? i said i know what it is and i want nothing to do with them or any other m/c. he then said that if i rip of my hawks and take the helmet to court they will most likely dismiss the ticket. and to have a nice day. here is what the ticket it for this

operators and passengers on motorcycles and mopeds must wear a motorcycle safety helmet of a type that complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218 (nc Gs 20 - 140.4a)

which i have research the nc helmet laws and the federal motor vehicle safety standards sec 218,, and the only thing about helmets in the Nc law is it must have a chin strap and be Dot and snell approved. i read the Fed law and all i could find was the same along with all of the engineering specs for the manufacters to meet dot and snell approval.

my ticket basically says this --- that i was not wearing a helmet that doesnt comply with the law...

well here are some pics of the helmet ----it is a scorpio and still has the dot and snell sticker on it, the hawks are only glued on and do NOT affect the structural integrity of the helmet..
This is a wrongful ticket along with i believe Profiling a biker,
there is nothing that states in any of these laws that says i can have them...
My question to the board is what should i do.....have it dismissed???
sue for the profiling and wrongful ticket?
try to get everyone involved and make this as public as i can to make sure that this doesnt happen to anyone else the rides, and make the cops learn the laws better????

I need all the advice, help, and MAINLY LEGAL advice i can

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

102_0233.jpg

102_0234.jpg

Personally I wouldnt waste the time trying to sue the dept. You would wind up spending far more than you would get out of it. as for fighting the ticket in court? Absolutely.

If you really think you could get somewhere with a suit though, ask a lawyer - most of them will consult for free. I can already tell you though, it's probably gonna be a "your word against his" kinda thing. And with no proof, you're just wasting your time.

go to court sounds like a bad movie......:banghead:

Last edited:
I never heard of such a thing.

Must come under the "bad taste law"

You sure it was not April fools day?:laugh:

Last edited:
Profiled for sure.

You would think that the officer would have done a few things differently with all of the bikes around the Asheville area.

positive no aprils fools. what i forgot to mention was that he ws very ugly and demeaning, thats why im so upset, its like he was pist at me for the whole thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!i did remain calm and polite the whole time so he couldnt say anything bad about me just my helmet

does anybody have the number of a Nc motorcycle attorney?????

Last edited:
I know a NC trooper, I am going to call him, this seems way out of bounds to me.

I'll let you know ..............

consult with an attorney and take it to court

if that airborne sticker and sober sticker on the helmet are indications of your service and your personal life...i would be certain to point them out in court and be certain to ask if the officer is best servicing the community by pulling over a law abiding serviceman that always rides sober and issuing tickets that appear to be based more on personal feelings vs what the law is...

wow sounds lime every rider at the bash need a Mohawk for their helmet!
Posted via Mobile Device

PM me the details, when, where, violation code and wording. The trooper's name or badge number.

Can't wait to hear the follow up on this one. Sounds like the officer has an personal issue of some sort.

Bored and bullying trooper looking for someone to pick on. It would make me feel like is was back in the 3rd grade to be involved it that event.

After it is all said and done I would write a letter stating the facts and the outcome of the case (if positive) to the base commander asking that this information be put into the Troopers file. They take that sh*t seriously and at the least he'll get a talking to and it will be put in his personal file to follow him forever. You could end the letter with "How do you like me now?" BS we have a similar problem with Ohio State Troopers (IMO) profiling motorcyclists and I'd had my bouts with them on this issue. Good luck and please post the outcome. Wardie

"I love my country but fear (all forms) my government".:poke:

Back