MULLET gets its hairdryer...TURBO

Vid cam has been busted...need to see if my camera shoots vids? After this build..no pennies left over for a new vid-cam:laugh:

Well... how did it go. You haven't posted since yesterday so that either means your out riding and having a blast, or perhaps something terrible happened while on the dyno (hope not). Of course I could be completely wrong on both.

Let us know either way.

Let me say I HATE NY roads and traffic. I thought DC was nuts.....NY has it beat.
After 5.5 hr drive the tuning started. Frank got it all mapped at 11.5 A/F..then he started with a full HP run.

Running 8 psi boost....He got 250 hp at 140 torgue on the first pull.....then the head lifted and pop the gasket. So the day was done..though NOT finished 100%.

Loaded up and headed home. DID I say I hate NY traffic and road! Got home at 11pm.
Now I need to pull all the turbo stuff and tilt the motor out to change the gasket and stud the head. Then put it all back together and go back to see Frank to final the high end Rs of the tune.

All in all.....a stage -2 ( not realy needed when only on 8 psi boost )...on stock compresion motor ( NO spacer ).....with a OSD 330 set up = 250 HP. IM happy:thumbsup:

For now:laugh:

sorry to hear that, I talked to a couple of turbo guru's as well as yourself about the stock bolts pulling away with 8lbs boost, i was told you will need , spacer plate, head gasket, stud kit, adjustable gears, degree the cams ( some only do intake side), pull some timing, flash the ecu, this will make a reliable f stage one, etc, etc, alot of the sponsers here will give you a discount on the engine internals,
Good luck,

I was also wonderng, didn't you have the intercooler working? because I was under the impression you could run a stage one with intercooler at 8-12lbs without going into the engine.

That sux big time. I hate engine problems and I am sure you wanted to be spooling instead of wrenching. Man.. I keep checking back to see updates on your ride.

I would be more inclined to think the head gasket failed due to running lean before the dyno session.

Many stock bikes running around with more boost then that and the head gaskets stay in place.

I recieved a call from Frank before the dyno session, as he was not getting a connection to the Microtech fuel controller. I talked with him for a few minutes and concluded the Microtech fuel controller did not have a power wire running to it, so the couple of short runs under boost before the dyno session were not getting any fuel from the secondary injectors, which would have been very lean, leading to premature failure of the head gasket.

Richard

sorry to hear that, I talked to a couple of turbo guru's as well as yourself about the stock bolts pulling away with 8lbs boost, i was told you will need , spacer plate, head gasket, stud kit, adjustable gears, degree the cams ( some only do intake side), pull some timing, flash the ecu, this will make a reliable f stage one, etc, etc, alot of the sponsers here will give you a discount on the engine internals,
Good luck,

I was also wonderng, didn't you have the intercooler working? because I was under the impression you could run a stage one with intercooler at 8-12lbs without going into the engine.

Only time the stock bolts stretch and head would lift at 8 psi would be a bad tune resulting in detonation, not really gurus if they detonate an engine at 8 psi. But I would not suggest running over 7psi on a stock compression engine on pump fuel,

Richard

I know that when I burned up my pistons my head gasket was fine when I popped the head. At least it appeared that way. Good luck getting it back together quickly.

Before the tune..I only had small rides and only brought boost in breif in 1st and 2nd then out of it. Never enought to harm anything, yet alone need the secondaries. But anything is possible? Just sucks to take everything back off the get to what needs done now.

As soon as the bike goes into boost it needs more fuel, which is supposed to be delivered by the secondary injectors, what makes you think it was not enough boost to need the secondaries?

Richard

As soon as the bike goes into boost it needs more fuel, which is supposed to be delivered by the secondary injectors, what makes you think it was not enough boost to need the secondaries?

Richard

The main injectors are s2000? It would still be running like a stage-1? But then if thats the case........PRob what did it then. So seconds into boost and out of it would be long enough if lean to damage?

So the main injectors are s2000 injecotrs, what did you do to get the bike to idle properly, lower the fuel pressure? If you lowered the fuel pressure it would really be lean once it got into boost, but if you have a power commander, with a turbo map in it for s2000 injectors it should idle ok, but when it goes into boost it will be wanting to see the high fuel pressure that comes with an FMU, which you do not have, you have a 1:1 regulator which would not raise the fuel pressure high enough for the fuel you require, and it would be lean.

Each time you went lean it would have caused some detonation, the detonation is what would have lifted the head and started the head gasket problem,

Richard

The kit was used and the prev owner/tuner gave me the 8spi map for the hole set up. First fire up it idled great right off the bat. Idle fuel psi is around 43 I think. Gauge is under the tank.

The kit was used and the prev owner/tuner gave me the 8spi map for the hole set up. First fire up it idled great right off the bat. Idle fuel psi is around 43 I think. Gauge is under the tank.

So you have an 8 psi map for a power commander, with s2000 injectors, and a 1:1 reg, plus the microtech? Wow what a way to complicate things!!!!!!

Typically a stage2 bike (a bike with secondary injectors and a microtech) will use stock injectors, and allow the bike to run off boost with those einjectors just as it left the factory, and allow the microtech a secondaries to do their job while in boost. Really not sure why anyone would put bigger primaries in a bike with seconday injectors, the whole purpose of the secondary injectors is to look after the fueling from 1psi to 24 psi.

Richard

So you have an 8 psi map for a power commander, with s2000 injectors, and a 1:1 reg, plus the microtech? Wow what a way to complicate things!!!!!!

Typically a stage2 bike (a bike with secondary injectors and a microtech) will use stock injectors, and allow the bike to run off boost with those einjectors just as it left the factory, and allow the microtech a secondaries to do their job while in boost. Really not sure why anyone would put bigger primaries in a bike with seconday injectors, the whole purpose of the secondary injectors is to look after the fueling from 1psi to 24 psi.

Richard

My thoughts exactly. But it was already mapped for the s2000 mains...so I put them in...other wise I would have left my stockers for mains.

Back