1397 turbo?

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I bought my turbo 06'Busa with the plans of selling my 1397 04' Busa. Then i got to thinking of just installing the turbo on my 1397 Busa and have a wicked bike. Why doesn't anyone do that? I could install studs and a spacer, why couldn't it work? If all that's needed is low comp pistons, what's the big deal?

something about the cylinders being wallowed out enough and this causing problems overheating and such when adding in the turbo?

it would be sick, but there has to be some good reason.

firedevil.gif

I don't know about the cylinder wall thickness, but logic says some low comp pistons, low boost and a retune might be ok. Just guessing tho.

Don

Most, if not all of the 1397 kits are 12.5:1 or higher compression. Adding boost to that will turn the motor into a grenade. Also, I'm not sure if its worth the money to go 1397 with the turbo when you can turn up the boost for more HP.

Thing is, i have the 1397 already. It would just be a matter of swapping the turbo over and mking the needed mods to the engine.

I would go with the practicality of the change myself... (mind you I only did turbo builds on 4 wheel vehicles)

when you add a turbo with around 7lbs of boost you up the torque curve by about 50%.. the additional displacement is not going to make much difference and it is going to cost you a pretty penny to do the custom pistons and possibly liners to contain the additional pressures.

In the case of a big bore kit, you are now pushing on a thinner cylinder wall (we have pushed out a bunch of cylinder walls over the years), this can cause problem as well as the slightly thinner sealing surface at the head. (we use o-rings on all of our automotive turbo builds that are going over 7-9lbs) So you pick up a few ponies for a lot of bucks...not very cost effective

I read somewhere they push Head gaskets out pretty easy due to less mating surface area or something like that.

there are guys running 1397 big bore with turbo, but they useing costom low compression pistons, and i believe .125 spacer plate, but there are some draw backs like the less meat between the cylinders which equals more heat and less gasket surface...so studs and a must, i believe the 81mm stok bore is the way to go..some  guys also complain of low bottom end torque on the turbo busa after installing the spacer plat to lower the compression, if you want to keepm that torque in the bottom end then that's the only reason i can see for you wanting to do a 1397 turbo...other wise stock bore is the way to go...

Theres no reason you cant do a 1397 turbo but most guys keep the cc's stock for the above reasons. More compression(have to run a thicker spacer),Less headgasket surface(risk of blowing headgasket at hi boost levels even with studs)

Theres no reason you cant do a 1397 turbo but most guys keep the cc's stock for the above reasons. More compression(have to run a thicker spacer),Less headgasket surface(risk of blowing headgasket at hi boost levels even with studs)
pretty much figures, now is there room to o-ring the heads or is that practical on these motors?
-
Also cylinder wall distortion an issue? we torched a good number of pistons/rings figuring out that the walls were pushing out at about 30lbs of boost on our drag motors..

There was a great discussion on this over on sh.org. A lot of big names chimed in. I recall something about wall thickness deficits and such. Howecer, I also recall John Noonan contributing by saying that his bike is 15?? in displacement, and we all know how he dives his!!
wowold.gif

One thing I wont understand is pushing the engine out to 1500cc with bore and stroke + turbo. You are sending the piston speeds through the roof and loading a now shorter rod and piston skirt into the bore for less service life. Talk about a hand gernade. Spend the cash on a good turbo kit with stock block, and shelf stock Wiseco or JE pistons and make 650~700whp all day. Ride it rather then work on it. Put the money saved from this tip into other go fast goodies.

It will overheat and it will have head gasket problems. It will require a rebuild more often as well.

I got a turbo motor here with a 1397 setup in it and has made 400hp or better for a long time now...the key is builder knowing his stuff.....motor was just freshened and looked new.Hint ORINGS..going in a bike let's see how it turns out....

I bought my turbo 06'Busa with the plans of selling my 1397 04' Busa.  Then i got to thinking of just installing the turbo on my 1397 Busa and have a wicked bike.   Why doesn't anyone do that?   I could install studs and a spacer, why couldn't it work?  If all that's needed is low comp pistons, what's the big deal?
use a 2-5mm stroker kit.

You CAN do it, but as mentioned...it isn't needed. Your 1300 turbo will get you to where you want to go and put a big grin on your face. If you do turbo your 1397 you will need to o-ring the cylinder.

Back