new turbo , burnt piston

hey mate, feel for ya, mine motor blew within the first 200kms of my turbo kit been installed... melted the pistons... ran lean.

It sucks, but thats what ya gotta expect with turbo's the are so tempermental.
blush.gif
sad.gif

hey mate, feel for ya, mine motor blew within the first 200kms of my turbo kit been installed...  melted the pistons... ran lean.

It sucks, but thats what ya gotta expect with turbo's  the are so tempermental.
blush.gif
sad.gif
No, no, no...We don't want to lead members to believe that boost is not reliable nor that all installs are destined for failure...However, we do want to caution that these are delicate setups and nothing can be taken for granted during the install and setup...

No, no, no...We don't want to lead members to believe that boost is not reliable nor that all installs are destined for failure...However, we do want to caution that these are delicate setups and nothing can be taken for granted during the install and setup...
stunah , what problems if any have you had with your turbo set up ? any burnt pistons or any major problems ?

hey mate, feel for ya, mine motor blew within the first 200kms of my turbo kit been installed... melted the pistons... ran lean.

It sucks, but thats what ya gotta expect with turbo's the are so tempermental.
blush.gif
sad.gif

<marquee><span style='color:GREEN'><span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>YES YES & YES</marquee></span></span>

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121580584 -->

I have about 298 hp tuned at 12 a/f on pump gas.  Stage 2 Vel kit with water injection.  it can be done, I have stock pistons and only a spacer and HD clutch springs installed.  so with the proper kit and the proper tuning with a spacer.  stock engine can do 300 hp on pump gas.  thats 94 octane pump premium gas.

you need to get enough fuel, the limit will be the stock injectors. so with a stage II kit with the extra fuel rail you can add enough fuel to keep it from going lean.

<!--EDIT|Clueless
Reason for Edit: "adding stuff :)"|1121606013 -->

I have about 298 hp tuned at 12 a/f on pump gas.  Stage 2 Vel kit with water injection.  it can be done, I have stock pistons and only a spacer and HD clutch springs installed.  so with the proper kit and the proper tuning with a spacer.  stock engine can do 300 hp on pump gas.  thats 94 octane pump premium gas.

you need to get enough fuel, the limit will be the stock injectors.  so with a stage II kit with the extra fuel rail you can add enough fuel to keep it from going lean.
I'll bet I make 320-330 hp on pump gas.

stunah , what problems if any have you had with your turbo set up ? any burnt pistons or any major problems ?
I have not had any problems with the turbo system but the additional HP caused me to have drive train problems, shaft and tranny had to be replaced...I also blew a head gasket which I probably had done before the turbo not sure...No major motor problems...

you need to get enough fuel, the limit will be the stock injectors.  so with a stage II kit with the extra fuel rail you can add enough fuel to keep it from going lean.
hey Gary whats up? long time no chat. my bike could make 320 hp but the Velocity turbo stage II is not 100% (had some blades bend) but still its 298hp with 94 pump octane and no race fuel. and running at 12 A/F. I would need to add race fuel or lean her out to get more.

hey Gary whats up?  long time no chat.  my bike could make 320 hp but the Velocity turbo stage II is not 100% (had some blades bend) but still its 298hp with 94 pump octane and no race fuel.  and running at 12 A/F.  I would need to add race fuel or lean her out to get more.
Welp my mcxpress kit will make low 300's on pump 92-93 octane. My intent is to NOT ever have to run race fuel again.

12:1 af is great as long as you run a mix gas. Crappy gas at 12:1 and BOOM can happy very easily.

Welp my mcxpress kit will make low 300's on pump 92-93 octane. My intent is to NOT ever have to run race fuel again.

12:1 af is great as long as you run a mix gas. Crappy gas at 12:1 and BOOM can happy very easily.

so what af are you running? you're running richer the 12:1 a fuel?  on pump gas?

so what af are you running? you're running richer the 12:1 a fuel?  on pump gas?
every kit I have had has been mostly in the high 11's. might had some dips into the 12's but they were few. Velocity map I got with the kit I had was 11.6-11.8's.

BTW my concerns with running stuff on the lean side of things on dyno's IS:

No real world cold air which will lean it out even more

Most guys use race gas on dyno's as a precaution, I don't on the street.

both of these factors should make your dyno reading seem richer than it would on the street.

well, I'm a carbed setup, which isn't nearly as easy to keep at an exact AFR throughout the RPM/boost range, but I aim for between 12:1 to 12.5:1. Due to the carbs, it dips to 13.5:1 when it first touches boost, but its at low boost and quickly goes to the preset above.

Never had a problem, even at 18psi, and thats on pump gas. IMO, getting under 12:1 is a fine line between being cautious and throwing away power and MPG to make you feel better.

both of these factors should make your dyno reading seem richer than it would on the street.

wouldnt cool air make the bike run richer?  as it compresses more?  And mine was Dynoed first run with race fuel then after tuned roughly.. it was tuned with 94 octane pump only....

<!--EDIT|Clueless
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121968165 -->

wouldnt cool air make the bike run richer?  as it compresses more?  And mine was Dynoed first run with race fuel then after tuned roughly.. it was tuned with 94 octane pump only....
lean= too much oxygen to fuel ratio
Rich= too much fuel to oxygen ratio

the oxygen found in the intake charge allows fuel to burn.

Cooler air is more dense with oxygen thus allows more fuel to burn.

Colder the air the leaner your bike runs. Because more fuel is possibly being burnt than being applied to the cylinder.
Lean bikes are normally more responsive and run hotter.

Rich bikes normally feel sluggish which many people consider "running smooth" because the bike makes less power and becomes less "flickable".

intake charges DO NOT compress the gases. They merely create a higher percentage of fuel volume in the cylinder (chamber fill). More fuel in the cylinder, more explosion, thus more energy exerted on piston/crank/tranny/wheel/ground.

Your bike was tuned by Dennis right? If so he knows how to read his dyno. Each dyno reads slightly off one way or another. A good dyno operator knows how to use HIS dyno to make your bike run right.

My 2-cents, there is NO such thing as a reliable turbo...

Been through 3 sets of pistons with all the options, larger injectors, mapping out the ass, etc.

They are fun toys, but certainly not reliable rides, in my opinion and experience.

Good luck!

thanks Gary *Suzuki4life*... good info. and yea Motorhead did my tune but we had a falling out because of it... long story but PM if you want to know. since I know your on both messageboards.

just put a spacer plate in it to lower the compression ratio for 7 lbs. they creep if you stay in them hard for any period of time. the hahn is a great kit to start off with. if you burnt a piston you will have to take it down anyways. stick a .060 spacer in it and you will not loose a ton of low end power. if you have a power commander get some honda xx injectors. they will get you safetly to 310 plus hp. keep it on the fat/safe side if you are not trying to break someones dyno. i had no problems with mine and it ran faster then most of the guys with velocity kits run for much less money.

Back