Turbo Busa Piston Question(s)

DJ_JONES

Registered
Due to the recent "ventilation" of my Busa cases I will be rebuilding the Turbo Bike with good internals and I have a few questions.

As I see it there are JE, Wiseco and Mahle pistons for the low compression pistons. I see 9.5:1 and it appears to me that APE sells 8:1 right? Which pistons are the better of the 3 brands and why? Why or why not go with the 8:1 over the 9.5:1?

JE Piston Page

APE Busa Piston Page

Also if I go with the 8:1 do I need to worry about something or know something about the lower compresson pistons? I will already have the spacer plate. What the things I need to know about the 8:1?

If you want to input on the rods go ahead. I will be getting those as well. Looks like Carillo H beams but fill free to chime in on that subject as well.

Thanks for the input guys....
ThumbsUp.gif

the pistons from je are lower when you use the spacer (which is required to run them)

i recommend crower rods

i went with the je pistons and the crower rods

the less compression you run the more boost you can run on a given fuel, however the less power you will have off boost. it's a trade off.

Im in the middle of an engine rebuild. I'm using the crower rods with the standard bolts, rated at 400hp and JE +2mm turbo pistons.

I don't think JE have 2 types of turbo pistons , some of those numbers will be from rounding up or down , compression can be lowered more by adding a base gasket to the spacer or using a thicker than minimum needed .080 spacer.

Pretty much appears these are my options....

Pistons:
JE
Mahle
Weisco
CP
MTC

Rod Options:
Crower
Carillo
Falicon

I am leaning towards the Mahle/Crower combo right now for the price and product.
muscle.gif

Crowers are the best rods going right now, alot of people are switching from Carrillos to Crowers but be sure to get the upgraded bolts in case you want to make over 400hp.

Back