Hayabusa's Losing The Competition Against Newer Liter Bikes?

What I want:
1.) Comfortable to ride all day long.
2.) 1/4 mile stock in the mid 9's
3.) Reasonable in the twisties.
4.) When unrestricted can do 200mph.
5.) Bars a little higher, enough weight to be stable at high speed, don't have do Yoga to duck behind the screen.
6.) Good enough so I don't want anything more for a long time.
7.) Enjoy it for at least 100,000 miles without a new model popping up every 3rd year.

What the new young generation wants:
1.) Pointy, angular, half the size, no tail, melting headlight with the most uncomfortable seating possible.
2.) Weighs less than 365lbs, no worries about wind buffing on the interstate with a semi in front, because the bike always has to be in front.
3.) Hauls @ss and bloated with electronics. In native mode, wheelies in 6th gear.
4.) 1/4 mile in the mid 8's with a factory add on sissy bar, top speed unrestricted 250 mph.
5.) Lean angle more than 65 degrees on the track, with the shortest wheelbase possible.
6.) Never sees more than 25,000 miles, either gets wrecked, trashed, blows up, or replaced with a new model a couple of years later.

What I want:
1.) Comfortable to ride all day long.
2.) 1/4 mile stock in the mid 9's
3.) Reasonable in the twisties.
4.) When unrestricted can do 200mph.
5.) Bars a little higher, enough weight to be stable at high speed, don't have do Yoga to duck behind the screen.
6.) Good enough so I don't want anything more for a long time.
7.) Enjoy it for at least 100,000 miles without a new model popping up every 3rd year.

What the new young generation wants:
1.) Pointy, angular, half the size, no tail, melting headlight with the most uncomfortable seating possible.
2.) Weighs less than 365lbs, no worries about wind buffing on the interstate with a semi in front, because the bike always has to be in front.
3.) Hauls @ss and bloated with electronics. In native mode, wheelies in 6th gear.
4.) 1/4 mile in the mid 8's with a factory add on sissy bar, top speed unrestricted 250 mph.
5.) Lean angle more than 65 degrees on the track, with the shortest wheelbase possible.
6.) Never sees more than 25,000 miles, either gets wrecked, trashed, blows up, or replaced with a new model a couple of years later.

I want a bike made for American backroads. Fast, Stable, but able to turn. Electronics are helpful to a sport touring rider. You don't always know the roads you are riding, conditions change radically, and you ride when tired often. Comfortable riding position but still leaning sporty. And as little weight as possible, maybe 480 lbs or so. With the exception of the weight & electronics, basically the Gen 2!

One route Suzuki could go is add VVT to the current motor and push it to 210HP and 120 Lb/Ft. Add the GSXR1000R electronics and decent brakes. A little weight loss (maybe the new frame they patented?) to get the party under 520 lbs. Then freshen up the looks and some BNG. Good to go. But I'm not sure the Gen 3 Busa can be a small step for motorcycling and continue the legendary status of the name.

To go on as a legend I think we need something radical. That probably means a blown engine with crazy power, a super light frame, new looks (sorry jelly but edgy), and BWM level luxury features. Maybe something like a bike specific HUD helmet that has integrated rearview, GPS, phone control, emergency call, telemetry (tach, speed). All seamlessly integrated to work with the bike. Ride modes, active suspension. We all laughed when Toyota said they were going to build a luxary brand but Lexsus is kicking butt. The Gen 3 needs to offer levels of trim. Starting at $16K and going out to $30K+ super sporting touring bikes.

Probably not what most Hayabusa owners want but we are an old group, many of whom are leaving the 2-wheeled world. They have to make a Hayabusa for a new generation if it is going to be the legend the gen 1 & 2 are.

I want a bike made for American backroads. Fast, Stable, but able to turn. Electronics are helpful to a sport touring rider. You don't always know the roads you are riding, conditions change radically, and you ride when tired often. Comfortable riding position but still leaning sporty. And as little weight as possible, maybe 480 lbs or so. With the exception of the weight & electronics, basically the Gen 2!

One route Suzuki could go is add VVT to the current motor and push it to 210HP and 120 Lb/Ft. Add the GSXR1000R electronics and decent brakes. A little weight loss (maybe the new frame they patented?) to get the party under 520 lbs. Then freshen up the looks and some BNG. Good to go. But I'm not sure the Gen 3 Busa can be a small step for motorcycling and continue the legendary status of the name.

To go on as a legend I think we need something radical. That probably means a blown engine with crazy power, a super light frame, new looks (sorry jelly but edgy), and BWM level luxury features. Maybe something like a bike specific HUD helmet that has integrated rearview, GPS, phone control, emergency call, telemetry (tach, speed). All seamlessly integrated to work with the bike. Ride modes, active suspension. We all laughed when Toyota said they were going to build a luxary brand but Lexsus is kicking butt. The Gen 3 needs to offer levels of trim. Starting at $16K and going out to $30K+ super sporting touring bikes.

Probably not what most Hayabusa owners want but we are an old group, many of whom are leaving the 2-wheeled world. They have to make a Hayabusa for a new generation if it is going to be the legend the gen 1 & 2 are.

Just pray it doesn't meet the same fate as the Katana. From what Hans Muth originally created (Cultbike, no other way to describe it) to the last Katanas was about as radical a deviation as you could get. This is what happens when you let the bean counters dictate engineering and design.
79de923e3df07bd11978195b3201c98d--katana-suzuki-motorcycle.jpg

To set the record straight, your hp and torque numbers are not right, obviously gleamed from some cycle magazine. At the wheel a stock Gen 2 Busa does not make 197, knock about 20 off of that and you would be correct. Same goes with liter bikes. A 2017 Yamaha R1 will make 180 to 182 rear wheel with an aftermarket exhaust, ecu flash and a good custom dyno map through a PCV. That same bike stock makes mid 170 rear, and FYI, a new CBR1000rr wouldn't make 189 if you pushed it off a cliff.

I have dynoed and tuned all of these bikes, I know what they make. I have a 2002 Gen 1 with stock pistons, mild cams and my own hand ported head. On 87 octane fuel it makes 198 and 112 rear all day. Had a little tryst with a BMW S1000rr a few weeks back, he passed me and I didn't recognize the bike until we got into it. We were both neck and neck when I accidentally ran into my rev limiter, where he got me. I slowed down, he did too . . . saw what it was, and it had an Akrapovic on it. Even tuned, I knew his bike was probably good for about 185 rear, if that. Downshift, downshift, downshift . . . get even at about 40 to 50 miles an hour and jump on it, watching my tach this time. I could see him in my mirror the whole time, at least three bikes back. I had more horse, but more weight . . . so I used torque to put him away. Remember that once you get out on a bike by a few lengths, it is really hard to reel your opponent in. That is when a turbo comes in handy!

So don't count the old girl out. The Busa, both Gens, is still a formidable opponent in many arenas. You can buy a Gen 1 for less than 5K and build a bike that will beat any liter bike out there.
I have a 03 busa with bolt ons and I love my gen 1 especially because your starting to see everybody jump ship to the kaw zx 14, and the gen 2 busa. not many gen 1s on the road. my only problem is POWER! especially when it comes to these newer bikes. I see you hand ported your head yourself. how much would you charge to do mine the same and as far as cams which one exactly do you have? if I can get this gen 1 to at least 190-200hp without a bore and it still be dependable to ride out of town then I would definitely do it. it would be nice for these newer bikes to pull up on a old gen 1 thinkin hes still in the 150 to 170 hp range and give them all 200 hp of straight 1300 cc!

Older post but as the title suggests...that ship has passed.

The Hayabusa put up a good fight seeing as it is an older design basically 20+ yrs old and still the benchmark to beat.

Just imagine what Suzuki could do if they had a mind to do it.

Back