Liter bikes - Busa Specs

well it is not so much everyone around here but most of the print publishers have said it.. If you want to get down to nitty gritty, the 1100cc Duc is a true monster at 200hp and 80G

well it is not so much everyone around here but most of the print publishers have said it..  If you want to get down to nitty gritty, the 1100cc Duc is a true monster at 200hp and 80G
Not to
deadhorse.gif
, but doesn't every single liter bike run a faster 1/4 mile than the Gen I busa in the last 3 years according to all the major publications?

I can't wait to run into one of those 80G Duc's around here - I just pray to God I have a full bottle if/when I do.
tounge.gif

I've got both and I would say that the liter bike will beat a busa in any roll-on that starts at anything under 130ish. Any roll on over 130 the busa will slowly walk away. BUT, in a standing start drag race with average street riders, the busa will usually win. I had a hard time breaking into the 10's with my 1000 cause they are so much more difficult to launch than the busa. Remember, the busa wasn't originally designed to be the fastest 1/4 mile drag bike, but the fastest top speed bike -and it still is. It's like comparing a streamliner and an indy car. By me, most sportbike owners are very young "posers" so I don't have to worry about them, and they still are afraid of racing a busa when push comes to shove.

I do not put a lot of weight on "magazine times" as the race track is a better gauge.. On any given friday night at a local track, you go down and watch what is quickest..

Magazine ET's are as subjective as dyno slips.. they only work "in context" with all players at the scene of the crime at the same time.. and I know for a fact the Busa can haul my fatazz quicker down the track..

If there is any one truism "racers will run what is quickest" and there are not many liter bikes out there.. (I think the liter bike already has its tongue hanging out all the way and not much room for more)

Here's a little tidbit off of psychobike.com. This is one of various quotes from zx10r guys in 1/4 mile races:

"i was running a 15 front and 42 rear.. pwr cmndr, pump gas, full muzzy, lowered, shifter, and 59" i went 9.40 and im 195 unsuited... i was cutting 1.5s 60 fts... keep it up,,, all you need is seat time"

So you see - the stock Gen-I isn't doing this and why I ask the questions I did. There were at least 3 or 4 of these quotes in one thread.

I want to keep 'er fast and furious guys. I want my Gen-I - to blow these guys out. I'm playing the reverse role now. Before, all us Busa guys knew that we would blow all these liters off the road. Today - they know they'll be faster than us and so - it's up to us to keep our bikes slammin' these boys. And I want to do it without spending the money on the big bore kits, turbos, and NOS if possible.

If I can't - them I'm getting one of these items. But if I can beat these guys with smarter mods and weight reduction, then - that's cool to me.

I do not put a lot of weight on "magazine times" as the race track is a better gauge.. On any given friday night at a local track, you go down and watch what is quickest..  

Magazine ET's are as subjective as dyno slips.. they only work "in context" with all players at the scene of the crime at the same time..   and I know for a fact the Busa can haul my fatazz quicker down the track..

If there is any one truism "racers will run what is quickest" and there are not many liter bikes out there.. (I think the liter bike already has its tongue hanging out all the way and not much room for more)
Your quote: "well it is not so much everyone around here but most of the print publishers have said it.. "

Remember saying that about three threads up? That's the only reason I even brought up "publications". If you weren't talking about mags, what were you talking about|?

I see what happens on the track and the street all the time - and around here for every two fast busas I see a fast liter bike.

Hey, I'm a fatazz with a busa just like you, I don't really think we're arguing here.

Magazine opinions are different than hard numbers from a track session.. The comment was directed to the declaration of getting flamed for saying the busa is not the king of speed. (actually it holds just about every speed record on the books)

You can not in any reality take 1/4 mile times from a race track and accurately compare them to times even from the same track at the opposite end of the day.. Most of those comparisons are publishing "fluff" to give the reader something to read. I do like the rider evaluations....

our times could vary 10% with the same machine, same tuneup, same track 5 hours apart.. this negates any ET stuff from any session unless the bikes are running side by side..

This is like running a bike on one dyno and comparing it to a bike run on another dyno.. (And dyno runs are only marginal at separating performance leaders unless there are big differences)

I think the Busa beats the liter bikes off the starting line due mostly to brute torque, not weight.. weight is not your friend at the dragstrip, the liter bike needs to get wound up in RPMs before it makes power, by the time that happens, the brute force of the busa has taken it past the 60' mark..

Hey Rocketman,
As you have seen at the track, a properly setup Busa with a 277lbs guy can still hold his own with the liter bikes, I haven't been walked on yet. Don't get me wrong guys I've owned almost everything, from 750's, 1000's and even a Harley (so i can make fun of them if i want too)this is my 53rd bike and my first Busa, It's harder launch a liter bike.

Here's a little tidbit off of psychobike.com.  This is one of various quotes from zx10r guys in 1/4 mile races:  

"i was running a 15 front and 42 rear..  pwr cmndr, pump gas, full muzzy, lowered, shifter, and 59" i went 9.40 and im 195 unsuited...  i was cutting 1.5s 60 fts...   keep it up,,, all you need is seat time"

So you see - the stock Gen-I isn't doing this and why I ask the questions I did.  There were at least 3 or 4 of these quotes in one thread.

I want to keep 'er fast and furious guys.  I want my Gen-I - to blow these guys out.  I'm playing the reverse role now.  Before, all us Busa guys knew that we would blow all these liters off the road.  Today - they know they'll be faster than us and so - it's up to us to keep our bikes slammin' these boys.  And I want to do it without spending the money on the big bore kits, turbos, and NOS if possible.

If I can't - them I'm getting one of these items.  But if I can beat these guys with smarter mods and weight reduction, then - that's cool to me.
It all comes down to rpm's and weight. The higher a motor can wind the more power it can produce. As technology and metals get better redlines go up...and so does peak hp. So a liter...with less engine mass....can wind up higher than our big bores....and make some extra power at the higher revs to balance out some of their lack of cc's. That combined with their lower weight is what makes them so fast. But they have to be wound up tight to get that power where the bigger bikes don't. Liters are about the perfect size for good power and low weight...thats why they make good race bikes. And on a race track the bikes are always wound up tight, in the meat of their powerbands. But more torque AND big hp in a bigger engine makes a better streetbike  
winkold.gif

laugh.gif

It def depends on what you want tho. I'll prolly never own another liter bike because I like the comfort and big power at lower revs/less shifting, plus freight train pull all the way up that a big bike gives me. And I'm more of a long distance sport rider than an exclusive canyon carver. Plus I'm just too tall for a liter  
wowold.gif

laugh.gif
 And the lower the rpm's you can keep a motor running at the longer it'll last...thats why traditionally bigger motors last longer...they're more understressed  
winkold.gif

If you have current tech bikes....the big bikes mod for mod will always have a slight edge over the liters. But when your talking older tech the new liters will prolly either have a slight edge or be even, peak power wise...with the torque edge still going to the bigger motor  
winkold.gif
(which is a big advantage at the dragstrip, and light to light on the street)
If you get a new liter you're still going to be chasing the new busa and all the 14's mod for mod. It'll be close but they'll have the edge.....
If you want to hang with/beat liters with your gen 1 without going into the motor or spray...you need to use every bolt on available to your advantage...plus lighter weight...and def gear it down...alot. First gen busa's came geared substantially higher than liters for the fabled top speed..which was fine a few years ago, cause with the extra torque they could pull it. But now you need to be geared closer to a current literbike to hang with them. You can reach your goal...but personally I would just go big bore or turbo if you have a serious need for speed, and not waste time piddling around so to speak..in the end the money spent will prolly come out around the same. You'll just spend it over time one way...or all at once the other.
In other words..step up to the plate..take the plunge, and scratch that itch once and for all  
winkold.gif

laugh.gif

thumb_up.gif

laugh.gif

winkold.gif

winkold.gif

winkold.gif

laugh.gif

Put a 1000RR on the kill list yesterday 70mph rollon,neck and neck for about the first 60 or 70 ft then all busa.
firedevil.gif

Magazine opinions are different than hard numbers from a track session..  The comment was directed to the declaration of getting flamed for saying the busa is not the king of speed. (actually it holds just about every speed record on the books)

You can not in any reality take 1/4 mile times from a race track and accurately compare them to times even from the same track at the opposite end of the day.. Most of those comparisons are publishing "fluff" to give the reader something to read.  I do like the rider evaluations....

our times could vary 10% with the same machine, same tuneup, same track 5 hours apart.. this negates any ET stuff from any session unless the bikes are running side by side..  

This is like running a bike on one dyno and comparing it to a bike run on another dyno.. (And dyno runs are only marginal at separating performance leaders unless there are big differences)

I think the Busa beats the liter bikes off the starting line due mostly to brute torque, not weight.. weight is not your friend at the dragstrip, the liter bike needs to get wound up in RPMs before it makes power, by the time that happens, the brute force of the busa has taken it past the 60' mark..
banghead.gif

Dude, I don't base anything I see in street racing off what I read in a magazine - I only brought them up because of your "publication" comment.

Everything you said about magazines I agree with - so I'll just go away now before this gets any more confusing.
whistling.gif

Torque is where the Literbikes fall flat and the Busa reigns.
+1...yeah litre bikes make hp at the expense of low end grunt. The busa kicks royal azz at the low end and still has the high end hp. I consider the busa motor an enigma of sorts, pleasantly so
laugh.gif

I rode a zx10 at bikeweek and was surprised at the no go on the low end. Yeah it would run...after you wound it up like a toy.

OK. I think I got my answers and see if I can summarize.
rock.gif

1. Busa with lower gears, lower weight, and top bolt-ons = best of both worlds for torque and hp
2. Busa with NOS, a BigBore Kit, or Turbo = Outta this world power (big smile) no worries
ThumbsUp.gif

3. Liter bikes are super fast but lack the lower-end and comfort - are hi-tech AMA super sport toys
4. Can't believe all magazines
5. A 500cc 2 stroke would be fun to ride to the 7-11, but questionable
6. Learn to launch hard at the track
7. Liter bikes are a force to be reckoned with
8. Its more about the rider
9. Busa's just rock
10. And last but not least - Busa's still rock.

Did I learn my lesson?
race.gif

OK.  I think I got my answers and see if I can summarize.  
rock.gif

1. Busa with lower gears, lower weight, and top bolt-ons = best of both worlds for torque and hp
2. Busa with NOS, a BigBore Kit, or Turbo = Outta this world power (big smile) no worries  
ThumbsUp.gif

3. Liter bikes are super fast but lack the lower-end and comfort - are hi-tech AMA super sport toys
4. Can't believe all magazines
5. A 500cc 2 stroke would be fun to ride to the 7-11, but questionable
6. Learn to launch hard at the track
7. Liter bikes are a force to be reckoned with
8. Its more about the rider
9. Busa's just rock
10.  And last but not least - Busa's still rock.

Did I learn my lesson?  
race.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 Yep that pretty much covers it  
winkold.gif

So whatcha gonna do?  
wowold.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm goin' to Disney Land.

... think I'll sit on it for a while and get good at ridin'. Then I'll put some money to it. eh?

bowdown.gif
Thanks guys...

Ill tell yall what i always wanted. I wish suzuki would build a busa to sport bike specs. GSXR1400 not GSX1400R.

I do a 1200km run every 2nd weekend and there are times where I sit at 8000rpm for long sections ( with 3000rpm in reserve)and there is no way the current generation of litre bikes will stand up to the comfort of the busa. In its enviroment,, on the long road its the champ.

I'm goin' to Disney Land.

...  think I'll sit on it for a while and get good at ridin'.  Then I'll put some money to it.  eh?

bowdown.gif
  Thanks guys...
hey Rocket.

Come to the 2nd Annual Busa.org trackday at MMP. I know you missed last year due to a few unforseen circumstances, but this year should be really good. I'll be more than happy to let you sit on my Gix or even take her out for a session or two (as long as you don't wreck her
wowold.gif
winkold.gif
).

If you're on the fence of getting a liter, just wait till September, try my Gixx out, and see if you like it or not.

Back