With liters always being almost  as strong hp wise

The Big Red One

Registered
I haven't ridden a new liter bike, but with them always trailing the big bores by just a few hp...and being wayyyy lighter, I wonder sometimes if the better option might not be to just buy a liter and mod it for comfort. You'd have a bike as fast as our big bores....as comfy, but with better handling and far less weight. I don't quite understand how you can have 350cc's more displacement but still have liters constantly putting out damn near the same hp levels. The new ZX-10 is supposedly putting out ungodly amounts of power...the gixxer thou's a monster...the new CBR's prolly gonna be outrageous as well. I think it might be cheaper to mod a liter for comfort than lighten and/or pump up a big bore to keep the speed wars even
winkold.gif

Torque is alot less... Look at all the $$$ guys spend for 20 more HP.. it isnt that close really.. although the weight savings is a valid point.

The comfort level of a Busa over a liter bike comes from a smoother running engine, better power delivery and a slightly more relaxed chassis. Little things that add up big time the more miles you rack up.

It's amazing how many liter riders that join our rides are taking another look at the Busa since learning it can carve the canyons even though limited.

I haven't ridden a new liter bike, but with them always trailing the big bores by just a few hp...and being wayyyy lighter, I wonder sometimes if the better option might not be to just buy a liter and mod it for comfort. You'd have a bike as fast as our big bores....as comfy, but with better handling and far less weight. I don't quite understand how you can have 350cc's more displacement but still have liters constantly putting out damn near the same hp levels. The new ZX-10 is supposedly putting out ungodly amounts of power...the gixxer thou's a monster...the new CBR's prolly gonna be outrageous as well. I think it might be cheaper to mod a liter for comfort than lighten and/or pump up a big bore to keep the speed wars even  
winkold.gif
I had an 05zx10 that replaced my 01 zx12 and the 10 is a thrill...but it never lets you relax. I just picked up my Busa but I love it, it is very comfortable and smooth and I can relax and mellow out at 80-95 whereas the 10 calls you a ***** if you aren't banging gears. I don't think you'd ever get the solid feeling a busa or 12/14 give you...

Do yourself a favor though and ride a 1000, they are sweet. At this point in my bike-life I'm loving the Busa and would not go back...

I absolutely LOVE MY 06 Gixx1K. But...It's a VERY agressive bike that requires a good racing tuck, rpms in the meat of the powerband and is razor sharp in handling. It matches a stock busa (99-07) HP wise, but that's only at peak hp. The Busa will still pull the gixx in the lower rev ranges just b/c of the torque. But at absolute top end, the gixx will have a slight advantage b/c of power to weight ratio (and depending hugely on the rider and rider's weight). My Gixx is 99.9% track bike exclusive though. I do miss having a great "cruiser" like the Busa though.

I've learned so much more skill wise for the track (road course) on the gixx than I ever would have on my Busa. But the Busa isn't a bad carver either. If you want to see what you're absolutely made of skill wise, get a liter bike, any liter.

Thanks for all the feedback guys....it helps alot to undestand the diffs
winkold.gif
I really need to ride a liter to completely understand for myself tho I think. I have a friend thats picking up an older gixxer thou soon...so I'll taste the liter bike fruits and feed my curiousity
laugh.gif

the past summer, i rode a Gixxer 1000 several times. While I like the bike, I wouldnt trade my busa for one. here's why:

1) the riding position would KILL my a$$ on long trips.
2) there's no power down low in the RPM range like there is on the busa
3) the seat is horribly uncomfortable compared to the busa
4) they're very twitchy. I like the predictable handling i get on the busa MUCH better than I like the 1k.

I also rode my buddy's CBR1000RR a few times this past summer, and found pretty much the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, the liter bikes are very nice indeed, and they have lots of power, but there's a difference between power and useable power. With the busa, you have torque pretty much anywhere in the power band. In the liter bikes, I found that I had to shift much more than I liked to keep the bike in the power band. there's a lot to be said for both kinda of bikes, and i think it boils down to personal preference.

Also, if you're taking passengers they'll greatly appreciate the back seat of a busa after riding on the piece of vinyl stretched over plastic that passes for a back seat on a liter bike.

here's another thing w/ liters. to get the full benefit of the racing ergos, they're definitely built for the 140-180 lbs rider. I personally have been working very hard to drop weight. Im currently 209 lbs, down from 240 lbs. My goal weight is to get to 185 lbs before I start club racing next year. But I've noticed that the more weight I drop, the more comfy the bike becomes. The racing ergos can be hard on someone taller than 6 ft as it becomes uncomfortable to tuck underneath the windscreen.

That's not to say that a heavier set guy can't ride a liter b/c plenty of them do and can still handle them quite well.

I looked looong and hard at a GSXR1000 but went with the Busa's comfort. I'm 6' 2" and ain't as young as I used to be and the Hayabusa is a couch.
ThumbsUp.gif

I'll tell ya what Red...you sell your Busa, buy a liter bike..............

and I'LL WAIT RIGHT HERE FOR YA BROTHER !!!!!!!!!
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

This is by far the best information as far as the difference between the 1000's, and the Busa !!! I was REALLY CLOSE to trading in my Busa for a Gixxer 1k, R-1, or a ZX 10. Now I've decided to just wait a little while, keep my Busa, and get a used liter bike.

I still think it's no different than when we were kids, we ALWAYS want the toy we don't have !!!

I must add to all of this since I've logged over 50k miles on non "big" bikes over the last five years.  Previous bikes were 2000 CBR F4, RC51, 01 GSX-R750, & 05 GSX-R1000.

I must say there are definitely a few things that you guys are missing here.  First of all, the new supersport bikes have gotten smaller, and for me less comfortable, especially the seats.  The 01-02 GSX-R1000 was a super comfy bike for me (6'1" and 215 at the time).  My last bike, the 05 1K, I had dropped weight down to 200lbs and it was still uncomfotable because of the narrow seat and aggressive riding position.  I rode a friends 01 750 this fall and I'm now 175lbs and it was nice.

Now, what many are forgetting.  You can easy change the handling of these bike without spending much money at all if you feel they are twitchy.  First; tires come into play big time. two; drop the rear slightly even if it's just 1/2in.  This will help!!!  Then you can look into bar risers, different grips, different seats and such to help out a bit on the comfort level.  You'll never have the ride quality of a busa, I don't think it's possible because the lack of weight on the 1k's just doesn't absorb the road like a busa.

Now for the power.  I don't quite understand why people say the 1k's don't have low end power.  My 05 GSX-R1000 was a monster with a full pipe and tuned.  You simply don't ride these bikes at 4,000rpms or less.  The motors were not designed to do that.  Once you hit about 3,500rpm (on the GSX-R) the motor starts to smooth out and by 4k it's golden and making power!  I believe somewhere in the 65ft lbs at 4,000rpm...which compared to the weight and with proper gearing will be enough to satisfy your normal rider.  Heck the front tire starts to pull off the ground at 6k on many of the bikes so what more can you ask for.

I used to ride a big bore ZX12R (I know, I was a trader) and all my friends had liter bikes.  My 12 was making 190rwhp and 110ft lbs so it was no slouch.  My buddies that had properly setup 1k's (pipes, PC's, geared, but nothing major) could keep up with me pretty much everywhere except if we pulled away from 60mph in 5th or 6th gear, but that was because they were turning such low rpm's that it wasn't even fair.

anyways.  I think to truly understand the difference you need to log over 1,000 miles and make some changes to a liter bike before you can make an argument about if they are the bike for you.

ok, enough rambling!

beerchug.gif

Back