Hayabusa's Losing The Competition Against Newer Liter Bikes?

Just got a brand new BMW 1000rr added to my stable. It's fast, but only up top at high rpm's. While the busa grunts down low and is scary at redline. Damn thing rides like a chuck wagon. Even worse is the 17 gixxer 1000, it rides like no suspension at all. Maybe I'm spoiled with my busa. I figured I would sell it BEFORE I got the 1000RR, no way man am I selling it. It's a pleasure to ride my busa and a job to ride my RR. Of course I'm old at 61 and notice all these differences. Yes, I set all my sag on the RR and played with settings. The RR is an electronic marvel and I love all the settings and all. It's like a bicycle, flicks with just thinking about it especially with the forged HP4 wheels. Took it to the snake at Mulholland in the LA mountains and it was a true pleasure. I would say it's more a track bike and a good one too. I really love the clutchless shifting up or down, real fast and effortless almost and the cruise control is a life saver on the wrist.

Just got a brand new BMW 1000rr added to my stable. It's fast, but only up top at high rpm's. While the busa grunts down low and is scary at redline. Damn thing rides like a chuck wagon. Even worse is the 17 gixxer 1000, it rides like no suspension at all. Maybe I'm spoiled with my busa. I figured I would sell it BEFORE I got the 1000RR, no way man am I selling it. It's a pleasure to ride my busa and a job to ride my RR. Of course I'm old at 61 and notice all these differences. Yes, I set all my sag on the RR and played with settings. The RR is an electronic marvel and I love all the settings and all. It's like a bicycle, flicks with just thinking about it especially with the forged HP4 wheels. Took it to the snake at Mulholland in the LA mountains and it was a true pleasure. I would say it's more a track bike and a good one too. I really love the clutchless shifting up or down, real fast and effortless almost and the cruise control is a life saver on the wrist.

Congratulations! Yeah the S1000RR is a nice ride...really nice. The only thing I'm not too fond of about it is the small gas tank which only hold 3.5 gallons? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Congratulations! Yeah the S1000RR is a nice ride...really nice. The only thing I'm not too fond of about it is the small gas tank which only hold 3.5 gallons? Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's 4.7 gallons total. No gas gauge, whaaat!! Yeah man blew me away. It does have the miles left to go with what's in the tank and a 45 mile left to go low gas light, so I guess in a sense has a gas gauge, just not what I'm used to.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree anymore!!! And you know what: It's funny how so many people think the H2 is the god of all motorcycles and yes it is fast, lightweight, supercharged...expensive (well it is :rolleyes:); However, I think the main reason people fall head over heels for it is because it is the first motorcycle from a big manufacturer to have forced induction that I know of...or at least most popular. Even if it were Yamaha instead of the H2 to come out with a procharged R1 or even Honda's fireblade, anyone would go crazy. What the H2 doesn't have that the 'busa has is displacement. Which from what I know, the 'busa should be able to handle MUCH MORE boost from a F/I setup and produce much more power out of a stock engine without blowing the crankcase off. BTW--I am not hating on the H2, just stating the facts based on what I know.

Check this out:

Well its not the first bike thats done forced induction but in my opinion Kawasaki is the first manfacturer to go ballistic and do it RIGHT. But I am hating on the H2. Lol. I know everyone has different tastes but I personally think it is the most god awful looking motorcycle Ive EVER seen. Im not being dramatic. I have looked at every inch of it trying to find one thing I dont have a problem with. The half fairing, tubular frame, weird a$$ wings hanging off the side, see through tail....I mean I thought the 14 was ugly but MAN this thing takes the cake. Akrapovic even custom molded a exhaust to fit the bikes shape and even its hideous! Lol.

1.Motor = perfection
2.Suspension = top notch
3.Sex appeal = Rosie Odonnel.

Speaking of the H2...I just saw one one of my subscriptions on YouTube's video (doitwithdan) of his new H2. He got a base dyno of his stock h2 at 191 WHP and 96 TQ!!! He recently uploaded another video after a full exhaust and new ecu or something like that (he says in the video below). 232 WHEEL HORSEPOWER and 95 torque!!! Good god...that can't be right but if it is, those H2's respond EXTREMELY well to modifications!

Here is the video: P.S. horsepower and torque numbers are at 5:51 into the video.

True the 1litre bikes are quick but really not built for touring,give me the busa any day. I did have the new gixxer 1000 for two days while getting new front rotors (discs) , nice but impractical.

20171004_094150.jpg

Speaking of the H2...I just saw one one of my subscriptions on YouTube's video (doitwithdan) of his new H2. He got a base dyno of his stock h2 at 191 WHP and 96 TQ!!! He recently uploaded another video after a full exhaust and new ecu or something like that (he says in the video below). 232 WHEEL HORSEPOWER and 95 torque!!! Good god...that can't be right but if it is, those H2's respond EXTREMELY well to modifications!

Flashing and derestricting the ecu on an H2 not only raises the rev limit, but it also increases boost, that is why rwhp goes up. I am not impressed. Mid 90s torque on a forced induction bike is not a number to be proud of. A Stage One turbo Busa making 250 rwhp also makes around 140 rear wheel torque. Busa = less money, more hp and torque, more reliability.

As an aside, I have a close friend who has owned a Kawasaki dealership for over 30 years. Every year - being the owner - he picks out whatever bike he wants for his personal ride. When the new ZX14 came out, he was all over it. When the H2 came out, he put a dealer plate on it and rode around for a few months, after which he
was back on the ZX14. The H2 is not light, it does not make the power and torque that it should, and when you flash the ecu, put an exhaust on it and tune it, it does get faster and more fun to ride. Enjoy it while you can . . .

Yes as in blowing up. Given I have no personal experience with this bike and am just going off of here say. But I have heard from several reliable sources that it is not a matter of if but when it goes.

Well then that's a damn good thing that I am in the market for a Gen II 'busa! Reliability really is everything because performance means nothing without it and I'm glad you pointed that out! Thanks OP

Flashing and derestricting the ecu on an H2 not only raises the rev limit, but it also increases boost, that is why rwhp goes up. I am not impressed. Mid 90s torque on a forced induction bike is not a number to be proud of. A Stage One turbo Busa making 250 rwhp also makes around 140 rear wheel torque. Busa = less money, more hp and torque, more reliability.

As an aside, I have a close friend who has owned a Kawasaki dealership for over 30 years. Every year - being the owner - he picks out whatever bike he wants for his personal ride. When the new ZX14 came out, he was all over it. When the H2 came out, he put a dealer plate on it and rode around for a few months, after which he
was back on the ZX14. The H2 is not light, it does not make the power and torque that it should, and when you flash the ecu, put an exhaust on it and tune it, it does get faster and more fun to ride. Enjoy it while you can . . .

I did not realize that a flash of the ecu would also increase boost! Well THAT makes much more sense as to why it gained so much power. I did notice that the torque seemed low for what mods were done. This is especially considering that it basically stayed the same as when he got it dynoed stock (96 tq stock). Turbo busa ftw!

As in, more boost simply because rpms can go higher. Correct?
Otherwise, boost can only be changed mechanically/pulley??
I'm asking, as I know little about the H2.

As in, more boost simply because rpms can go higher. Correct?
Otherwise, boost can only be changed mechanically/pulley??
I'm asking, as I know little about the H2.

You are exactly correct. Timing and fuel changes can also come into play . . .

Back