Liter bikes - Busa Specs

Rocketman

Registered
Question for those that know, and this is not a question to start a vs. flaming war and puffed up chest beating contest.

I have loved my busa, no question. One of the things that I have been trying to do since I bought it was to stave off the liter groups nipping at my heels or worse - blowing by me on the street. I really like liter bikes but the buse is a way better ride for me. And granted, I have taken the rider skill thought into consideration.

Ok - the question... Liter bikes continuing pumping out more hp. My Gen-I busa has a 1299cc engine with bigger bore and stroke, and with a bit more torque. So how does the zx10r and gsxr1000 surpass the horse power and be such a nemesis on the street in terms of raw hp and speed?

Is it just a question of hp/weight? If I dropped 100lbs off the busa - would put it back on par with the lighter liters?

I am just trying to understand this without having to dip into my cams, spray, or overbore kits.

Just go up two teeth on the rear sprocket and install a TRE that eliminates the high speed limiter, and all that Litre bike stress will disappear.
cool.gif

you are comparing apples to oranges IMO... Sport Tour is a lot different market the Super Sport..

The hp and technology is more developed for the SS bikes as they are the closest to the "full" race machines we see on the track..

The Sport Tour has to work both sides of the track and so a bit more difficult to make excel at either.. But it hauls 2 up and bags a lot nicer than any liter bike. Pricing on the liter bikes is higher here than on the Hayabusa

Keep in mind that the motor had not changed since 99 as well.. the liter bikes have been working all along going up every year.. That technology will undoubtedly end up in the busa over the next year or 2

Keep in mind that the motor had not changed since 99 as well.. the liter bikes have been working all along going up every year.. or 2
Thats right!

Don't forget a litre bike of that generation may have made 145-155 crank HP.
And while, that technology may be offered in future generations of 'Busa, it may be at the price of durability.

15,000 rpm redline in a 750, 1000 or 1349 cc engine has definately got to come at a cost. Probably in longevity.

sadnews.gif

Torque is where the Literbikes fall flat and the Busa reigns.

Keep the liter bike and the Busa in sixth gear at 3000 rpm passing several tractor trailers on a uphill stretch, whack the throttle open on both and see what happens.

Just my two cents.

cheers
ken

Torque is where the Literbikes fall flat and the Busa reigns.
that might be a gross understatement..
laugh.gif
I think way to many get to hyped on "gross" horsepower numbers and forget that you have to ride the thing.. I built dozens of 500hp big motors that would "Kill" the 750hp small blocks on the street.. I think it had to do with the 800ft lb torque at 4500rpm
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

you are comparing apples to oranges IMO...  Sport Tour is a lot different market the Super Sport..

The hp and technology is more developed for the SS bikes as they are the closest to the "full" race machines we see on the track..  

The Sport Tour has to work both sides of the track and so a bit more difficult to make excel at either.. But it hauls 2 up and bags a lot nicer than any liter bike.   Pricing on the liter bikes is higher here than on the Hayabusa

Keep in mind that the motor had not changed since 99 as well.. the liter bikes have been working all along going up every year..  That technology will undoubtedly end up in the busa over the next year or 2
+1!

couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll add that liters are always gonna get the MotoGP, World Superbike and AMA Superbike trickle down technology first. The big 4 + Ducati/BMW/Aprilla/KTM are ALL ABOUT RACING. It's just sportbike evolution. The Supersports are the result of technology developed on racetracks. The Busa and 14 gets the trickle down technology from the literbikes.

Example: 3 mode power selector was first introduced on the GSXR1000 in 07. And then the new Busa in 08. Radial mounted brakes, DLC (diamond like coating forks) and high/low speed suspension damping have been on the Gixx since 05. The Busa is just now getting that technology.

With that said: unless you're going to exploit the technology on the racetrack, I personally think the liters for everyday riding isn't all that great. I love my Gixx, but it feels "flat and boring" when I ride her around town. But the racetrack is where she excels. That's why I miss having a Busa. The massive torque makes normal street riding a blast, almost like being on a cruiser. Not to mention, the Busa is much more comfortable for the everyday and long distance commute. I wouldn't worry about liters nipping at the heels of even your GenI. The aftermarket has been developed almost exclusively for the Busa. A few mods here and there will ultimately keep you on top. And you're hearing that from a Gixxer conneiseur.  
thumb_up.gif

A few days ago i was graced enough to have a 06 gix1k run on the dyno right after my 07 busa. The gix made 2 more peak horsepower than my busa with simply a full system and $600 in dyno tuning. I was dissapointed to say the least. BUT my bike has slip ons, it was only a rough tune, and it has a much broader powerband. To cut it short, the busa will remain king and the other bikes can only nip at the rear tire.

Rider skill.

2 peak HP isn't that big a deal really. The Gixx only performs well when close to peak. Whereas the Busa excels in ALL ranges of the powerband. Basically, the Busa has more "useable" hp and torque that makes it a better "all around" bike.

you are comparing apples to oranges IMO... Sport Tour is a lot different market the Super Sport..

The Sport Tour has to work both sides of the track and so a bit more difficult to make excel at either.. But it hauls 2 up and bags a lot nicer than any liter bike. Pricing on the liter bikes is higher here than on the Hayabusa

Keep in mind that the motor had not changed since 99 as well.. the liter bikes have been working all along going up every year.. That technology will undoubtedly end up in the busa over the next year or 2
+1!

couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll add that liters are always gonna get the MotoGP, World Superbike and AMA Superbike trickle down technology first. The big 4 + Ducati/BMW/Aprilla/KTM are ALL ABOUT RACING. It's just sportbike evolution. The Supersports are the result of technology developed on racetracks. The Busa and 14 gets the trickle down technology from the literbikes.

Example: 3 mode power selector was first introduced on the GSXR1000 in 07. And then the new Busa in 08. Radial mounted brakes, DLC (diamond like coating forks) and high/low speed suspension damping have been on the Gixx since 05. The Busa is just now getting that technology.

With that said: unless you're going to exploit the technology on the racetrack, I personally think the liters for everyday riding isn't all that great. I love my Gixx, but it feels "flat and boring" when I ride her around town. But the racetrack is where she excels. That's why I miss having a Busa. The massive torque makes normal street riding a blast, almost like being on a cruiser. Not to mention, the Busa is much more comfortable for the everyday and long distance commute. I wouldn't worry about liters nipping at the heels of even your GenI. The aftermarket has been developed almost exclusively for the Busa. A few mods here and there will ultimately keep you on top. And you're hearing that from a Gixxer conneiseur.
thumb_up.gif
That said, and it makes perfect sense to me - - how much will dropping say 50 or 60 lbs off the busa impact my overall performance with the standard mods? Big impact, little impact?

After adding the pipe, airbox, gears, and pciii, will a lighter bike improve my bike substantially?

Ratio - hp/weight? or weight/hp?

Finally some reality around here. A new stock liter bike will walk a stock busa (Gen I) with the same mods and a competent rider. The same hp and at least 100 less pounds of weight = just plain faster.

I always get a good laugh everytime I hear some stock Gen I busa rider bragging about how he routinely smokes modern liter bikes.

Different markets = different state of tune.. liter bikes were designed to do 3 things... accelerate,turn and stop.. period. forget comfort or civility,or passengers.. e.t.c.
A 500cc roadracer made more hp in 1993 than a 1300 busa in 99... but you wouldn't want to take one to a 7-11 for coffee.. (maybe I would :-))

I have a GSXR 750 (not a liter bike, but still a very strong sport bike) and of course my Busa. Once again its is like comparing apples and oranges. I love both bikes but they were built to do two completely different things. Sometimes its almost a toss up as to which one wins out. But in the end, the Busa is King for me.

Different markets = different state of tune.. liter bikes were designed to do 3 things... accelerate,turn and stop.. period. forget comfort or civility,or passengers.. e.t.c.
A 500cc roadracer made more hp in 1993 than a 1300 busa in 99... but you wouldn't want to take one to a 7-11 for coffee.. (maybe I would :-))
No question and you're right - but we're talking street here... I had an experience where a ZX10r came clipping through traffic and when he decided to turn it on - he walked very quickly. I would have really had to light up the buse to keep up or catch him. I didn't because it was the wrong situation.

But I know what speed looks like after 4 years on my busa. I'm telling you - that 10r was nothing to scoff at in terms of speed. I would have had to give it my very best against what I saw. Would I have won - dunno. But I want my bike to be there when theres a situation.

This says I'm a bit of a goober about this chest beating thing. But honestly, I'm trying to understand the real deal here, not pump myself up into believing I'm invincible and then getting spanked by the newer crowd of bikes.

I'm on a busa and damnit - I want that thing to be respectable because it is fast, not just because someone says 'Busas rock!' Know what I mean?

I'm getting some hopeful conclusions here...

Finally some reality around here. A new stock liter bike will walk a stock busa (Gen I) with the same mods and a competent rider. The same hp and at least 100 less pounds of weight = just plain faster.

I always get a good laugh everytime I hear some stock Gen I busa rider bragging about how he routinely smokes modern liter bikes.
I am not sure I would go that far in all cases... if you take two 200lb + riders at 75mph and stand on it, the busa is going to town...

Also 1/4 mile times seem to favor the big displacement busa.. Again this is just a usable torque curve.. Give the Gixxer enough time to down shift 2 or 3 gears and maybe the gixxer can get away..

I think the Busa will last a lot longer at those power levels as well.. a lot less wear and tear making that 170+ hp

I didn't mean to say our bikes are outdated and slow junk, I just meant that the latest liter bikes are good enough that it's going to come down to the rider.  I had liter bikes for years and loved them, but they are just so uncomfortable and unfriendly for two up riding that I went to a busa.

Go ride a liter bike for 200 miles straight and I think you'll be happy you own a busa, but if it's that important then just do a few more mod$ and you shouldn't have any trouble with a ZX10.

You guys that have both a liter and a busa:  now YOU are the ones that have it made.
thumb_up.gif

I didn't mean to say our bikes are outdated and slow junk, I just meant that the latest liter bikes are good enough that it's going to come down to the rider. I had liter bikes for years and loved them, but they are just so uncomfortable and unfriendly for two up riding that I went to a busa.

Go ride a liter bike for 200 miles straight and I think you'll be happy you own a busa, but if it's that important then just do a few more mod$ and you shouldn't have any trouble with a ZX10.

You guys that have both a liter and a busa: now YOU are the ones that have it made.
thumb_up.gif
yea if I had better riding roads around here, a liter bike would be along side the hotrod..
smile.gif

I am not sure I would go that far in all cases...  if you take two 200lb + riders at 75mph and stand on it, the busa is going to town...

Also 1/4 mile times seem to favor the big displacement busa.. Again this is just a usable torque curve..
Maybe in a same-gear rollon the torque of the busa may rule, but if everyone is in the right gear I don't see a busa hanging with a liter bike from any speed.  The only advantage I've seen on the street is the busa can launch much harder because of the extra weight and wheelbase.  It also takes a better rider to keep a revvy liter up in the RPM band.

Either way both are close enough that it comes down to the pilot.

Hey - just my personal experience - your mileage may vary.
laugh.gif
Anyone who says busas aren't the king-of-all around here seem to eventually get flamed.

Back