Big bore or Turbo

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Since I'm not enthrawled with the new '08, my long range future plans just might include an '03 pumpkin to play with.

As a daily rider, but with more umph, which is better, pros or cons between a 1397 big bore kit or just put a turbo on.

(any turbo would be stealth mode, hidden air cleaner and regular aftermarket exhaust pipe)

I've done a little research on the Carpenter big bores and Velocity and Mr. Turbo kits. Certainly not limited to these choices, just what I been looking at scratching the surface. More than likely all professionaly installed.

Not looking for anything crazy maybe 225 hp give or take a bit and 100% reliabilty and driveability.

Any and all insight welcome.

super.gif

Will the turbo turn the busa into a wheelie machine?
(with the standard swing arm)

I don't like exteded swingarms at all so that wont happen.

Turbo. I've gone the 1397 route. If your looking for 225hp or more, definitely turbo. Plus, it's a stock bike until you start boosting.

(Justyntym @ Jul. 01 2007,10:37) well I guess that about sums it up...
lurk.gif

jump9.gif
Why because one person says so?

Don't you want evidence one way or the other!
poke.gif

Man,, I have a bridge you might want to buy!
laugh.gif

(Cookie @ Jul. 01 2007,13:16)
(Justyntym @ Jul. 01 2007,10:37) well I guess that about sums it up...
lurk.gif

jump9.gif
Why because one person says so?

Don't you want evidence one way or the other!  
poke.gif

Man,, I have a bridge you might want to buy!
laugh.gif
He was the only opinion I had at the time  
muscle.gif

biggrin.gif

Don't do any special kind of riding, just a daily driver and joy riding.

About the tuner...I have no idea about someone close.

I want someone serious if I have it done...
I was thinking HPW or one of the other big dogs on the board. Then I gotta take it to em though
tounge.gif

Course I read the Mr. Turbo site and they said that the average person could do it...hmm. Don't think I want to do this myself, but I said that about a lot of things I've done on my bike already.

(Ride_or_Fish @ Jul. 01 2007,13:41) ... and do you have local tuners you can trust regardless of which route you go?
That about sums it up in a nutshell . Since I see you live in Central FLA there is Johnny Turbo in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. Cecil Stringer was telling me good thinks about him . I think he uses the Velocity Turbo kit but probably will install anything you might want to use .

Your biggest question should be (if your going either way) is WHO is going to keep it up and or fix it when it needs attention ? Then, you can deside which you want. And NO you don't have to become a wheelie king with a Turbo, there is alot of people on here who have Turbos with the stock rear end. You just have to be careful with the right hand  
beerchug.gif

stock arm and gearing with 270hp and no problems here
super.gif

So how much fixing, repairing, and maintaining is there in a turbo?

Steer clear of Mr. Turbo and setups. Check over on Psychobike.com and see what they say about them.

There's a few places to get good turbo systems from.
The Ghetto kits(Basicly a RCC kit)from Dennis(Motorhead) over on Suzukihayabusa.org
Velocity
RCC
Burt at 1320straightliners.com

You would have to have lived in a cave to send any of your hard earned money to Themotorhead!
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

The Motorhead does good with stage1 set-ups. Anything higher, i would go elsewhere. Good thing is that all the Ghetto kits are upgradeable.

BigBore...... No lag and its on!

I'd say roughly at the rear wheel 175HP to what ever your pocket book can afford. Daily driver probably don't want more than 210HP at the rear. What your not factoring in is the cost of beefing everything else up to help with the extra horsepower your wanting to develope.... Can get real expensive! IF and thats a big one, IF you can keep your wrist under control and $$$ is no object then your going to have a tough decision. The big bore is going to cost you a lot less than a turbo up front. Now if you want 225HP or more the deck is even.........

Back