Doing the right thing...

Tango1300

Registered
Today an 18 year old kid came into the dealership with his father. They drove up in a nice Porsche Cayenne... no doubt the way they dressed, could have paid cash for anything in the store at any retail price.

Kid even had the latest Cycle rag in his hand when he pointed out the black & orange GSXR 1000. Told his dad he had to have that bike. I first asked him if he had any riding experience or had taking any riding lessons. The kid snapped back that he had been on a friend's dirt bike. LOL!!

I looked at his father and told him that he might as well get his son drunk and hand him a loaded .45 without a safety or training. That I couldn't with a conscious sell his son a bike that would potentially kill him without any experience. I also pointed out that the factory saw fit to design a feature to limit the power and even professional riders found the bike easier to ride with lower power settings.

So... the result was a pissed off 18 year old and a father that took my hand in thanks.

What do you guys think? Should a dealer step in and say something? We are only limited by age on ATV sales and can be fined huge amounts if we sell a ATV knowing an underage rider is receiving it. So maybe there needs to be a guideline to riding a bike like this.

I couldn't fly an Apache without learning in a 58.

you did right, but an 18 year old like him is gonna get his hands on that bike 1 way or another

Where were you when I was getting ready to ask my ex-wife to marry me?
rock.gif
?

Nice job. You probably saved that kid from himself.

(boazalmighty @ Mar. 31 2007,14:21) you did right, but an 18 year old like him is gonna get his hands on that bike 1 way or another
Yeah he is right, he is going to get it one way or the other, just hope that when he goes down, he doesnt get hurt badly, if he does go down i bet you all a million bucks it will be because he is showing off in front of his friends.

You will be able to sleep tonight with a clear conscience. That's worth more than any commission.

If that kid bullies his "father" into getting the bike from another, less scrupulous, dealer (and he probably will), and then kills himself and/or somebody else, you will know in your heart that you did all you could to prevent it.

At least you have shown the "father" how to be one, instead of trying to be his buddy, or buy his love.

I'd say you had a pretty good day. A damn good day, in fact.

For what it's worth, you sir, have my respect.

I think all dealerships should show that much responsibility

The dealership I purchased my Busa from did.

The salesperson asked me a lot of questions, how long I have had been riding, had I road sports bikes, did I ever go through any rider courses.

Told him I had been riding for 20 years, been through the military Motorcycle Safety course about 3 times (lost the first two and it was before they had a centralized database)

found out later that they had sold a busa to a guy, like 20 or something 6 months prior.

Was out for a ride and had his fiance on the back, he wheelied, she came off and was killed.

The dealership after that I guess felt somewhat responsible and made a policy to try and avoid selling those types of bikes to inexperienced riders.

The dealership is one of the largest in the area and they sell a variety of different makes and they also are into snow mobiles etc etc.. so they have the ability to turn away someone they feel is going to end up whacking themselves

So yeah. I personally feel what you did was very responsible. I wish all dealerships cared enough to say no when they feel it is the right thing to do
beerchug.gif

You definately did the right thing. Wish more dealerships would be responsible like you are. Good job...

Good on ya for an honest choice based upon common sense coupled with experiance in spite of the loss of a sale which is nothing compared with the tradgedy of a funeral.

When I picked up my 04 LE from the largest / oldest dealership in the state the owner of the store recognized me from the local race scene years ago and, the whole service and, sales dept took turns looking at and, marveling over my highly modified 01 1200 (147 HP) bandit of the likes they'd never seen before which I had rode in on.
They as well had a sense of conscience it seemed.
I wish they all did

Well done no doubt!!

I for one KNOW that you did the right thing. As hard as it is for an 18yr old to understand, maybe his father DID! Atleast you gave an honest open minded opinion. The kid probably hates you, but atleast the father respects you, and will probably do business with you at a later date for parts or whatever when his son does need parts or service for whatever bike he chooses.
If all sales people were like you, there may not be as many fatalities as there are now, due to inexperienced riders.
Atleast they know that you aren't out for just the comission from a sale. That means alot to me, and others. If I were in the market for a new ride, I would not hesitate to purchase from you. Atleast I know I would be getting an honest deal from a understanding and honest salesman.
THAT means alot!
bowdown.gif

As has been said, you did the right thing. Sure, he may get the bike from someone else, but maybe not. If you got through to his father, he may not buy it for him. Regardless though, you did your part in keeping the kid alive. It's not on YOUR conscious either way though.

I appreciated the fact that when I bought mine, the dealer asked me a LOT of questions about my riding experience, and also cautioned me a lot. I've been riding for many moons now, but the busa was my first trip back to a sportbike since the honda hurricane 1000 I had in the late 80s. We talked a good bit about that bike, and how much different sportbikes were now than they were back then.

It's amazing that back then the Hurricane was considered ridiculously powerful and light. it got 113 hp and ONLY weighed about 580 lbs...

(Turbo-Torch @ Mar. 31 2007,21:00) What we need is the exact same law they use in the UK.  Let the punk start off on a 250.
Maybe a graduated system is the way to go although I've never cared for government involvement much. Even 600s are crazy powerful these days for a noob.

These 18 year olds buying Gixxer 1000s are the same guys that ride around with no lid, wife beater, and sandals. I hear these guys several times a year saying I must be a new rider because I'm wearing my lid and leathers. I've even had a few tell me not to worry that I'll feel comfortable soon enough to go out in tank top and shorts. I don't bother telling them I've been street riding since they were in diapers.

I respect a man that can be honest with the parent and pass on the sale
bowdown.gif

For what it's worth
rock.gif
..........You may have bought that dad a few more days of life for his son, that which he'll appreciate and respect, when the ugly end-result of a lack of maturity costs that kid his life.
super.gif

Man you did the right thing...even if he get one from evil harted salesmen, so what...he ask for it...and you try to stop him...God planted our future, and we work our a$$es off to change that...in good way of course...
And the kid? we got to teach them the process, how we get here...buying the worst rocket does not bring all the experiences comes with...its the other way around.
argue.gif

Back