Doing the right thing...

I know people that did well on their first bike....even though it was a busa /liter bike. Most people can go fast !!!whether it's a 600 or whatever ......It's knowing when to go fast is the catch !!! and having good luck !!

I bet if you did sell the Gixer to the kid, it would have been a pee wee herman moment as he sped off right through a bill board.

Even some of the 600's are not really great choices for beginners anymore.

The graduated system would be a plus here as long as we did some like:

50 - 250cc (so freeway travel could be possible)
250 - 750cc
750 on up

The only problem is a law like this would severly bite into big cruiser sales like HD and the like.

Well at least you can sleep clear knowing that the seed you planted in the father's head will hopefully stick.

everyone saying you did the right thing, and I agree.

but how many of you would support a law that made a 250 compulsory for the first 18 mths?

thats what we have here in West Australia.

mox

(imoXu @ Apr. 02 2007,19:26) everyone saying you did the right thing, and I agree.

but how many of you would support a law that made a 250 compulsory for the first 18 mths?

mox
yeah that sucks,,,,,it really depends on the maturity level of the rider not the cc restrictions. A person can kill themselve just as easily on any bike!!depending on conditions,,,,Maybe a governer/speed limiter instead,kind of like parental controls......that way they could still look cool like us!!!

(Poppy @ Apr. 01 2007,19:50) You certainly prevented something like this happening!

30 minute owner?

Sad indeed...........
sad.gif
Sad. But if it had been a busa, it might have been the greatest 30 minutes of his life.

But the article never mentioned if the guy had any riding experience at all... so it's not about the 'time' spent on the bike that should be the issue. It's just a simple fact that anyone can die at any time on a bike... even somebody with 20yrs of riding experience.

20 minutes or 20 years... anything can happen.

When I got my busa the sales dude asked some questions, but wanted the sale! He did ask "think you can handle the busa?". Of course, I said yes. Nothing was going to stop me from owning that bike. Even after not riding for about 6yrs I was able to ride the bike home. I think it depends on how much fear the new rider/owner has that will keep him in line. I didn't want to crash so I stayed within my limits and took it slow. It would NOT have been the dealership's fault if I had crashed. It would have been my fault.

So... I can commend you for telling the 18yr old's dad what you did, but if you had sold them the bike I still think you would have done the right thing, too. It's not your responsibility. If the father owned a Porsche, it means he's no idiot.... and if he didn't do some kind of research on the bikes and what they can do, then that's his problem.

you did the right thing
beerchug.gif
the dealer i worked at would sell it to a 12 year old if they had the cash........... one of many reasons why i quit the money grubbin shid hole. Glad to see that some dealers still do the right thing.

I think you were right for telling his dad you thought he would kill himself, but if, after your most sincere attempt to convince him that it was a bad decision, he still wanted to do it, you would be wrong to refuse to sell it to him.

I don't think it's right to stop someone from doing what they want.  I think it's certainly your responsibility to say something if you think it's a bad idea, but if he has the money and he's an adult (I know, I know, 18 & inexperienced is a particularly suicidal combination on a new liter bike... maybe we should redefine "adult" in this country), at the end of the day it's should be his choice.  People should have the choice to make their own mistakes, even if those mistakes end up costing their lives.

i just wanna say if there were more people like you in the world,there would be fewer dead 18 yr olds AND my insurance would be lower!tiered licsencing now like in the uk would help.you did that kid a favor!

(tinbender0 @ Apr. 02 2007,19:35)
(imoXu @ Apr. 02 2007,19:26) everyone saying you did the right thing, and I agree.

mox
yeah that sucks,,,,,it really depends on the maturity level of the rider not the cc restrictions. A person can kill themselve just as easily on any bike!!depending on conditions,,,,Maybe a governer/speed limiter instead,kind of like parental controls......that way they could still look cool like us!!!
Maybe the bike needs a trea
jump9.gif

You are a man of principle and character- kudos to you!

What I find amazing is the ignorance of seemingly intelligent and educated parents who dont think twice about getting their kids the top-of-the-line hyperbike because THEY saw some cool pictures of it in a magazine. These bikes are lethal weapons for a young male.

I'm late jumping in here, but I applaud you for taking that stand and not just going for the sale...far too many sales people wouldn't give it a second thought and just sell it to whomever.  

You'll sleep with a clear conscience even if that kid gets his way from some other dealership down the road...

I wish there were more checks and balances in the industry, but the bottom line is that we can't have dealerships determining an individuals right to ride...in the end, if someone want to ride, they will find a way, buy from a private seller, etc...

Kudos to you for doing what you did though  
smile.gif

I've heard this kind of story a couple of times. Just another way to protect kids from themselves.
beerchug.gif

Good for you .......

Since you had the father's respect , you should have sold him on a nice SV 650 or something else @ full retail with matching head to toe gear.

And make a dollar or two for yourself.
super.gif

I'll never forget the talk I got at 36 y.o picking up my 1st Busa, and these guys knew me. ( But that is probably why )

You did a great thing. I know of a kid that his dad signed for him a 06 GSXR 1000 and had the dealer install a full system and pc on it before it left the dealership. I talked to this kid while I was at the dealership and told him to be very carefull.The kid did not have any experance on bikes. He just saw his friends riding and wanted one. On his way home the day he picked up his bike he crashed and got killed. I do not not think any dealership should sell a big HP bike to anyone without a few years of experance. Just my .02

I agree with everyone else. you did the right thing. you might have even saved some 16-18 year old girl from getting hurt or killed to. so look at it as if you save 2 lives!
beerchug.gif

Back