I hope I did the right thing

ibified

Registered
SO last night I was working on the yard, and i needed my wheelbarrow, which was full of crap from my cleanup after pouring the footings for my deck.

As i went to empty it out, I saw that a bird had become caught in a piece of twine that was laying out of the wheelbarrow. It's legs were all tangled up in it, and it was all bloody. I went inside to get some scissors to cut it free, and after a while, I managed to get it free of the twine.

I tried shooing it off hoping it would fly away. It tried to fly, then kinda crash landed and was all sprawled out on the yard. I walked up to it and kinda shooed it along again, hoping it would fly off. And the same thing happened. I figured I would leave it alone and give it some time to recover, then check back in on it.

After working on the yard for an hour or so, I went back to check, and it was still sprawled out on the same spot it had been when i went back to the yard. I called the humane society as well as animal control, and evidently they dont have anyone there after hours. I didnt know what else to do, so i got a shovel and put it out of its misery.

I really feel bad about this, and I dont know why. I guess i hate killing anything for the sake of killing it, but without being able to fly, i doubt it would have lived long anyway - im pretty sure there was irreversable damage done to at least one, if not both of its legs.

Did I do the right thing?

hmm Rugby players eat their dead... (and yea, no point in letting it suffer)

:rofl:If it's legs were hurt it would still be able to fly:rofl: Wings do heal with time.. not in the time it takes you to swing that shovel:rofl: maybe a little more time:poke: but not a big deal would have been lunch for a possum or something else... so if you tossed him in the rubbish he dies for nothing other than a little batting practice:whistle:

Grill it up then you can say you killed it for food....:laugh:

Later at the scene of the crime:

Attachments

• bigbird.bmp
    580.1 KB · Views: 225
You did the right thing. No telling how long it had been there and how close to starvation it was. It could not fend for itself and was suffering. It would have been dinner for someone else or just out right starved to death.
People can bash me if they want, but I agree with your actions. Like you, I would feel bad, but I also can not see an animal suffer. That is worse than death.
My 2cents

For whoever asked, it only took one hit with the shovel. And no, I didnt throw it in the garbage. I left it out so that something else in the wild that may have been hungry could have it for a meal.

As for keeping it a secret: yeah, I don't hide the things I do. Some are good, some are maybe not so good, but I'm man enough to own up to it.

And no, it wasnt something I wanted to do, I just felt that, given the circumstances, I did what was in the animal's best interests. It would have been a LOT easier to leave it there to die on its own and not take part in it, but as someone said, I hate seeing things suffer.

Dino

That s a funny pic:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am sure it took more than swing of the shovel... Maybe if you hit with a Busa @ 100 mph:whistle:

:laugh:

Grill it up then you can say you killed it for food....:laugh:

Thats cold.:laugh:I say right thing no need let it suffer

My wife got on me 4 letting my crickets die after I went fishing.I forgot toss a potato slice in there cage.They tosted in my shed. she said they are living things.There frekin bugs there bait if I let them go in yard they will multiply like crazy.I hate kill animals to but bugs?? With bugs im a mass murderer.

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time,and the bird:lol::laugh: I'm just kidding, you did the right thing guy.. I'm proud of you.. What a man..So how was the rest of your day????

Thats cold.:laugh:I say right thing no need let it suffer

My wife got on me 4 letting my crickets die after I went fishing.I forgot toss a potato slice in there cage.They tosted in my shed. she said they are living things.There frekin bugs there bait if I let them go in yard they will multiply like crazy.I hate kill animals to but bugs?? With bugs im a mass murderer.

CRICKET KILLER!!!! :rofl::rofl:

No reason to let the poor thing suffer, the best way to euthanize birds is to put them in a bag and subject them to car exhaust. Does them in very quickly. :whistle:

One of my cats jumped a rabbit some years ago. Bit its neck and severed it's spine. The rabbit managed to drag itself to the edge of the pool and fell in. The cat wasn't about to get wet--it just sat there watching. I ran out and fished it out of the water. Poor thing couldn't move its hind legs at all.

Couldn't think of any other way to kill it fast, so I laid it down on the street and used my car to run over its head.

Back