Busas can't turn.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
The other day while riding I decided to stop at my brother's hobby shop just to hang out a bit. Well, this guy walks up and takes a look at my bike. He compliments me on it, says how nice it looks, mentions how fast it is, and then says "but they can't turn".

I can't believe people still have this mentality.

He goes on to say he'll whoop any Busa with a 600 at 9 turns. "9 Turns" is a small stretch of highway which loops here in S. Florida which consists of 9 pretty nice curves. I explained to him that I'm no knee-dragger but I DO know of a guy who can whip 'em using my bike. He then says, well if you put the same rider on both bikes, he'll run 9 turns quicker on the 600 than on the Busa. I then told him the same rider would run a quicker pass at the drag strip on the Busa than on the 600.

We went on for a while but in the end I explained to him that the Busa was never meant to be a canyon-carver but it's still a very capable bike in twisties. He ended by saying they still turn like a bus.

I'm starting this thread to ask you guys to post pics or videos of knee-draggers on Busas. I know there are some here but it would have been a mission for me to pull up this site and find them. I should have saved them when I saw them but I didn't. I figure if I can get all the pics and vids on one thread it'll be easier for me (and the rest of the ORG) to pull up this thread and use it to smack these katz who think the Busa can't turn.

Alright guys and gals .. let's have 'em.

Busa_Lean.JPG

NightCrawler I have seen many smaller bikes that have gone down on 9 turns (I live right around the corner from there). It is amazing how people still underestimate the Busa.

You know, I weigh 245 lbs. and this particular shot is with 65 lbs. of touring luggage added....it shows me at 125mph and look at how much addl clearance I'm not even using...I'm sure Lamb, BigO, BusaWhipped, etc. and the other hi-po Busa riders could burn this corner at 135-145 and still be within their personal skill level safety envelope.
I recently went riding with a bunch of 600 guys (that were poking fun at the 60 yr old big guy that has a Busa the day before at work) and when away from civilization, way up in the twisties....let's just say I was off my bike with helmet off when the first 600 rolled up. Those guys are still talking about that day. Obviously, a 120hp race prepped 600 with a skillful rider would murder a Busa on a tight track...the illusion is that alot of these kids think they ARE that rider and they simply haven't paid the "seat time dues" yet. This isn't a personal brag, it's just, when you've been through dozens of fast bikes, many hours of track time, years of street riding, yada, yada....the old saying "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" really comes into play. Having said all that, the most powerful asset we can possess is humility around the young warriors! Raydog

Img_9404_Doyle_1000.jpg

You know, I weigh 245 lbs. and this particular shot is with 65 lbs. of touring luggage added....it shows me at 125mph and look at how much addl clearance I'm not even using...I'm sure Lamb, BigO, BusaWhipped, etc. and the other hi-po Busa riders could burn this corner at 135-145 and still be within their personal skill level safety envelope.
I recently went riding with a bunch of 600 guys (that were poking fun at the 60 yr old big guy that has a Busa the day before at work) and when away from civilization, way up in the twisties....let's just say I was off my bike with helmet off when the first 600 rolled up. Those guys are still talking about that day. Obviously, a 120hp race prepped 600 with a skillful rider would murder a Busa on a tight track...the illusion is that alot of these kids think they ARE that rider and they simply haven't paid the "seat time dues" yet. This isn't a personal brag, it's just, when you've been through dozens of fast bikes, many hours of track time, years of street riding, yada, yada....the old saying "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" really comes into play. Having said all that, the most powerful asset we can possess is humility around the young warriors!           Raydog
I know what you mean. I've had 600 owners with chicken planks talking shid about how they can take Busas.

The Busa is the only sport bike I have ever riden. I can't imagine taking corners faster then I do sometimes with a smaller bike. Scary.

people talk a lot of sh&t.
Doesn't mean nothing.
On a road course you'd want to be on a smaller bike ,I promise you.
For hard  street riding , it turns fine.
Thats with a good rider onboard.

On some tight esses the busa will be much tougher to go really fast. That extra 100+ pounds means heavier steering, more front end dive and much harder on the brakes. On the Cherohala Skyway the busa will do fine but take it to the dragon and a lighter less powerful bike will win out with the same rider.....and they'll be half as tired when they get to the lookout. Going really fast down the Dragon on a busa is a workout!
Now for all around street riding, the comfort, power and fun-factor of the busa is hard to beat!

Here vids of 600s and 1000s, ridden at the limit, on the street. Unless you are an Irish road racer, claiming that one bike is faster than another on the street, is, in my opinion, the mark of a squid, because they have no idea of the capabilities of a modern sport bike, and regardless if it's a 600 or a Busa, neither one is ridden ANYWHERE close to the bikes limit.
Just my two cents.

cheers
ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Owning a Busa, R1 and an R6....each has their own plus and minuses. The Busa is hands down the best all around bike of the three. All day comfort, good handling and awsome power. The R1 is violent in its power delivery, I compare it to a 2 stoke 500cc dirt bike. Spin it to the moon and things get interesting quick. The R6 feels like a bicycle, no low end and another spin it too the moon and razor sharp handling.

My choice of what I ride depends on where I am going and what I plan on doing. I like all three, lol

Here is some on board footage from Roebling Road.

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums....lap.flv

And one from last Springs Bash.

vmanbash.jpg

As far as the litterature knowledge I have accumulated on the Busa, it is true, the Busa is heavy and will not negotiate turns as adeptly as a lighter racer. This is why Suzuki stop using them on the race circuits after a few trial years.

But that decision was made by race team owners, for who every little bit, means a whole lot. For the average rider negotiating turns on North American blacktop... that fractional discrepency won't make one bit of difference. It will come down to rider experience in turns and acceleration out of the turns before entering the next. These would be the deciding factors.

Mike B

Back