Busa Can't Handle........

Busa riders are trying to compensate for something. :poke: If you buy a bike that everyone KNOWS can't turn, then no one expects you to be able to tun it. :rofl: If you Really can't turn then stretch it so you can get a free pass for being slow. :laugh:
:rofl:

Now kids, my daddy can whip your daddy! :rofl:

Think about this busa/cornering question like this: If your busa corners so well, why do we never see one in the "A" group at the track? I've spent lots of time at the track and I've never seen a busa in the "A" group. I've never seen one entered into a race? And I doubt there has ever been one in the nation win a road race? Actually, I see most busa's that show up at the track in the "C" group with a few in the "B" group. And I have yet to see a busa at the track I couldn't pass on a 600? There may be one out there, I've just never seen it! :dunno:

Think about it!

:beerchug:
I thought about it..

It corners well compared to a general perception which assumes it corners very poorly. Both sides go to extreme judgement, and so arguments live on.

In reality, it corners only incrementally worse than your typical track bike - maybe by 10 - 20%, but not twice or three times as bad as the general perception indicates. This only becomes an issue when the rider's level increases. Your observation about track days and racing is very good, and provides an answer to your question.

Riding at the level of beginner and intermediate group - mighty 'Busa does just fine. But, starting with the advanced group, and on to racing - 'Busa's shortcomings in cornering become more of an issue.

Keep in mind that of all riders, very small percentage is doing track days - probably in the ballpark of 5% (I personally did a poll on sportbikes.net a few years ago, and it was something around 2 - 3% - I adjusted it to 5% based on the assumption that more riders do track days now than a few years ago).

And I would say that among those riders who like twisty roads, only a minority are doing track days. It is safe to say the following about the majority of those riders who ride twisty roads but don't do track days - they are not riding at the level of the advanced track group, but rather somewhere at the level of beginner/intermediate track group.

And I can tell you from my own experience riding in the beginner and intermediate group on a 'Busa, I never felt that the bike was a limiting factor - I always felt it was me. I ride very conservatively, i.e. I know I am making a turn, and don't need to pray to get around it.

So, the point is - mighty 'Busa corners pretty good unless you are racing or getting close to that level. And what percentage of riders races or rides in the advanced group? I would conservatively guesstimate 1% or less. So, the infamous statement about the 'Busa is wrong for at least 99% of riders.

Bubba, you are absolutely correct. The busa is a great bike that handles great for what it is, half super sport half cruiser. I have just as much fun on the busa in the hills or on the track as I have on any of it's smaller brethern. The busa is a great all around bike with no ill handling qualities. May very well be the best all around motorbike on the market today? Does everything well but does nothing great. I am on busa number six and I loved each and every one of them! But I do think it's important to understand the big girl's short comings as well.

It seems that most busa owners see photos of guys like CharlesBusa, GregBob etc. with the busa laid over on her lips and get the idea that the busa is a competitive cornering beast. When in reality, she has a long wheel base, to much width through the girth, to heavy to be competitive on the brakes and spins the tire way to easy on corner exits. Although she is tons of fun with massive torque and lots of power, she is certainly handicapped in the cornering department.

I think the real definition of the busa's handling capabilities could be discribed like this: The busa handles great until you want to go fast!

Back