Busa as a first bike

Just keep in mind like it was said above, you might drop it... It might be a parking lot drop or just a simple slide in the dirt but it really hurts if its a new bike. All my bikes have been used in my 38 years of riding with the exception of one K6 which never touched the ground. However the wifey wanted a NEW bike for her first one (Ninja650R) and of course she dropped the first day, she cried like a lik 10yr old school girl cause she scratched it. My advice, if you haven't ridden before get a used bike and that way when you make a simple ooopsy it won't hurt so much. Just yesterday two years from the first incident, the wifey dropped her bike on the side of the road, on a pothole rutted out gravel area... She didn't cry but man she was pizzed that she did something that stupid... Frame sliders kept her bike from having anything broken... She rode on the rest of the day and kicked azz, flyin time... She talks about a gixxer but I wanna see if she keeps the ninja off the pavement until December, LoL...

As long as you respect the bike you should be good to go... Don't be scared just ride it... Worst case scenario you will wreck it and then you get to buy another one lol :laugh:

U should buy a older bike first...beat on it,drop it,get mad at it when it wont start...give yourself some seat time before u jump on a busa...me i had a 81 i think 650 suzuki, then a 83 kawz gpz750, then a 86 gsxr 750, still have the 86 gsxr just can't let it go...o' then the busa... The Busa is just to fast for a first time rider...Please whatever u do just ride safe...and use your head...think of all of your loveones that would u miss you...Be safe...

ok been collecting "un scientific" data for about 4 months on this subject.. pulling threads, reading statements and here is what I do have at this point (I have hesitated posting this as not to color any other comments but with 104 names/opinions, I have a pretty good picture here)

What I would like to gather is additional information on screen names and where they are today.. (some odd facts here too)

if I was unsure of a persons status or answer, it remainded empty

25 people bought a busa as a first bike (25%)
16 suggested a Busa as a first bike
4 were unsure or unanswered
5 said NO to Busa as first bike (20%) keep in mind this is not scientific

67 Did NOT buy a busa as a first bike
2 suggested buying a busa as a first bike (excludes Rayabusa0818, he would make 3)
65 suggested NO to Busa as a first bike (pretty overwhelming)

Of the 7 I did not have data on their first bike
4 said NO to Busa as a first bike
3 said Yes

The most prominent fact I have so far is that roughly 20% of "Busa first" bike purchasers said it was a mistake or suggested it was the wrong thing to do..

Another odd fact is of all the people on both sides, the "Yes to Busa as a first bike" is that most are no longer active members on the board..

on the other side (Busa NO) many if not most are still active here.. not sure how to interpret that yet..

If you want to enter your own info PM me (if it is a duplication of what I have, I will simply verify and let it go)

Last edited:
Ok, for me, Busa not a first bike. 42years ridng, started on dirt/street bike, then cruisers. Busa is the first sport bike I have ridden. I am still amazed at how much faster it is. If you are not paying attention, you can be in trouble in nothing flat. I would vote NO for a busa as a first bike. Yes you may be smart enough to not open the throttle and hang on and get away with it but, there are many years of learning, experence, and enjoyment that you will be missing out on if you start with a Busa. If you are learning to shoot a gun, do you start out with 44 mag pistol or elephant gun, or so you start with a BB gun and work your way up. Then when your are shooting the big bore guns, you can look back and remember the lessons, and fun you had with the little plinking guns.

Just my thoughts for your survey, Mr Bogus, and maybe a little more insight to the
Busa-as-a-first-bike.

Last edited:
Guess Ill be the one to stir things up a bit :whistle:

Im 21 years old. Busa was my first bike 3 years ago. No 'M' class cause(only cause Im lazy) and no insurance (because my best quote was $5,000 per year)..Flame away, flame away... I dropped it twice just standing still, my dad dropped it once (and recently backed into it while in the garage with his F350) lol so it's been through some tough times.

It was dropped partly because of inexperience and partly because Im 5'6" 140lbs, standing on my tippy toes isn't really the best way to control 550lbs between your legs :poke:

I thoroughly enjoy having this bike. No drops or mishaps on my part since my first season of having it. Now I wanna put a turbo on it but got royally screwed when I bought it!:banghead: so cant really afford that. (Anyone on the board feel free to donate!!)

In the end, you like it then get it. It's the most comfortable bike you've sat on, get it. You can afford to pay if you drop it, get it. Other than that, stick to the 1k, better for wheelies :thumbsup:

003.jpg

My first bike I got the sales guy to put it on a trailer for me and take it o my house. Then at home I rode it up and down the neighborhood till I felt comforable....Is not that its a your first bike, its just so much power and soooooooooooooooooooooo easy to abuse it. I mean when your riding you think man Im the fastest thing around me right now, I can out acclerate everyone... Thats when you start to get into **** and get in trouble. I learned when I got cocky and hit 197mph running from a cop.. I got roadblocked and cop caught up and said his car topped out at 131mph and where was I? I said 2nd gear sir....

The Busa will be fine as a first bike as long as you "use your head" ! Anything under 5000 rpm it seems like a dog, but above that hang on !

Hi All, my 2 cents…

Let me see -+ 170BHP, +- 235 Kg wet, 0-400m around 10s stock. To get to 200km/h takes 2 blinks of your eyes. Yes, great bike, nothing is better then busa or more beautiful. Busa as a first bike - hell yeah: if you suicidal :)
If you think you can control it, you are WRONG.
Sooner or later you will try to open it up – M3 next to you or something, regardless of how much self control you have. That is Busa for you – makes you feel good, fast, powerful, you the man, you the fastest on the road, but make mistake at 200 km/h and she will eat you alive.
I have my baby for a long time now and to be honest sometimes she scares sweet Jesus out of me. I know how to drive super bikes, I used to race them, but Busa is completely different ball game. Get it, if you want it, but be careful, respect her and give her lots of love. She will repay you same way.

Back