thinking of getting a busa as a first bike.....

rudeboy

Registered
im able to get a great deal on a brand spanking new Busa....
considering it as my first bike but i wanted to get some opinions on the gentlemen who ride this work of art on a daily basis....

what are your thoughts for a novice getting into a busa?
what do you think would be some obstacles i would face?

do you have any experience with a motorcycle...dirt and anything?

Make sure you take the MSF safety course.

When you get one....always wear all of your safety gear (helemt, gloves, jeans, jacket, and boots)

The Busa was my first street bike, but I had a little experience with dirt bikes growing up.

What ever you decide be careful and do not try to impress anyone.

what do you think would be some obstacles i would face?
Gravity!
shutup.gif

I had no prior riding experience(except for dirt bike riding one summer when I was 14 & Im 34 now).I got my permit & then took the 2 day safety course the same week...........just remember to RESPECT the bike & drive defensive 7 oh yeah a busa is always a good choice.BE SAFE & WEAR YOUR GEAR......ALWAYS!

I've always felt any new motorcycle makes a bad first bike.

Everyone drops their first bike.  Its just gonna happen.  It's usally something stupid in the garage or somewhere going 3 mph.   Personlly I prefer to make those mistakes on a $2k bike then a $10K bike.

The busa is a lot of power.. but really if you hurt yourself doing squid type stuff, its gonna hurt on any bike.

So hows your basic driving skills in a cage? Been in any accidents? close calls? etc.. Point is - If you are a good attentive driver, and If you are ALWAYS paying attention to what you are doing, your odds of success are increased. I would still stay out of traffic as much as possible till you feel confident on the bike, practice slow speed stability, and turns. start stop etc... and the MSF course will lead you to this-- but you will still have to get on the beast and tame your wrist to its beckoning call.(take me over 5k NOW!)Got patience?

Oh yeah-- get in the habit of wearing gear right off the start. that way you won't hesitate to use it ALWAYS, and not be convinced otherwise.

You know most of these high powered bikes are real nice to ride slow cause they have some great torque figures. However just don't ever hammer that throttle unless you know whats going to happen next. These bikes deserve the utmost respect. Kinda like drinking with Mike Tyson at the bar. He's cool, He sounds funny, but you don't dare tell him, cause he'll break your face... Oh and eat your ear... Same thing...

Buy it, but just take it slow and easy. Also, it doesn't matter how long you have been riding, on any new bike it will take at least 10 months of riding time to get comfortable with it...

Welcome to the site. I'm fairly new myself, so I should go along with the crowd, but I just can't, in all good conscience.

The Busa is a hell of a lot of bike for a beginner. I know everyone says, "just respect the power," and "it only goes as fast as you twist the grip" and all that. My point is, a good beginner bike won't punish you for the inevitible mistakes you make in judgement or grip twistyness. The Busa will do anything you ask of it, quicker than you can say "Oh sh*t!" It's the ulitmate ride, the ultimate rush for experienced, expert riders, but trouble waiting to happen for novices. Sure, some get away with it, more power to them. You just don't hear about the majority who scare themselves clear out of motorcycling, or worse...

Do yourself a huge favor, get a bike you can afford to drop, one that won't do 86 mph in first gear, and learn to ride. Once every single control is effortlessly controlled, and you've been in some "situations," move up to the Major League.

No offense here, seriously answering a smart question.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do!

thanks for all the great responses, im really serious and taking everything in....

i have zero riding experience....
as a driver, i am always attentive, my buddies always wonder how in the world i spotted that cop hiding in the driveway....

as for respect of the machine, i do have that....
im not a hotshot or am i about to attempt to show off...
i understand and respect the gravity of the consequences that go hand in hand with the riding experience, ive personally witnessed two rider accidents, one fatal, so im fully aware

i do have some rules which i hope to implemment....
first-always wear gear....
second-avoid traffic as much as possible...
third-master residential/low speeds before trying to ignite the rocket...
ive thought of more, but cant remember riight now, long day at work....lol

i really appreciate al the feedback...

Welcome to the org. You will find this is the most civil and mature forums you can find. Please, I invite you to read the pinned threads at the top of the New Owners Forum. There are arguements to boths sides, well lets say debates for both sides. It boils down to rider maturity for me. I dont care how long you have been riding or how old you are, being stupid will get you hurt. Being cautious and learning a new machine will keep you safe and keep your bike clean. Whatever you decide to ride, stay on the board. There is a great sense of community and rider education here. Workbill had a good point. This is not the bike to be dropping when learning how to ride. The plastic is just too expensive. You can pick up a set of frame sliders that will help minor falls, but still, you dont want to bend a frame or rash the side of a new Busa. Also, before you buy, check into insurance. State Farm is very reasonable for our bikes. You dont state your age, so I have no idea. Be careful, be safety consious, and wear your gear.

Speaking from someone in his shoes i did the same things he's thinking about the only difference is i learned a little on my dad's harleys when i was like 15 but i bought mine at 23 being my first bike that was my own let alone be my first sportbike and i've done very well the first few times you get one the gas its gonna scare you and its gonna be a lesson i learned to handle it during the day in my buddies neighborhood riding around with him on with his sv650s wich is a great starter bike to go take and toss around a lil bit if you decide agianst the busa its got a sporty look but naked with no fairings on the side and its cheap so with frame sliders if you laid one down i doubt you could do much damage but he just got rid of his because he learned on it real quick and he wanted a busa to begin with and letting him drive mine around once around the block and he's been itchin to get one now so if you want it and have the money for it great get it just be very carefull slow speed turns kinda suck at first becuase the throttle is so responsive that you dont want it to get out from you but at the same time you need enough gas to get you out of a turn too so its a hard balance to figure it out at first but if you have good self controll and don't have jack@ass freinds like mine that will try to get you too show off or you can resist the urge to do then get one and go for it, its the best stupid decision that i ever made and the only regret that i have about it now is that its a time addicting (this sight alone will eat up hours of time at night if your not carefull) and you will be broke soon from buyin this mod and that mod will drive you crazy but i guess i could have worse addictions

Hello

This issue has been  
deadhorse.gif
, and there are lenghty discussions on it here and here.

Learning motorcycle riding on a 'Busa (or any other big liter+ bike) can be done (there is proof of that in this forum). Being myself an advocate of NOT doing so, for me it comes down to your goals: if you simply need to have one, just playing it safe, respecting the machine, getting to know her and being mature will probably allow you to do it.

On the other side, if you want to learn, enjoy and extract some potential from the bike, going the other way around is probably the thing to do. This is not only common sense, but common training approach: progression from small, to medium, to large capacity; getting to know the riding theory; riding a lot; getting formal training (MSF or whatever) and even getting track time.

I am in the training business (not bikes
coolold.gif
) and if you want your operator training to be effective and safe, and spend the least money in doing so, you never throw them on the full performance equipment -even if you can afford it.

My 2
umnik.gif
cents

i realize form most of the responses here that the bike is definitely not a starter bike, shoot, im hoping to be able to swim by just jumping in the deep end. the reason i am considering a busa is the fact that i am able to get a huge savings off the price, to the tune of $5000, a good family friend works for suzuki corporate.

im not hoping to be evil kenevil right off the bat and i definitely want to learn to ride properly...i think i am mature enuff, speed is not necessarily an issue for me, i just fell in love with this bike, especially since i can get away with stealing it from a dealer, literally....LOL

Then be safe, enjoy your new bike. And we will require pics of her when you get her home.

Back