Thinking about a Hayabusa as a first bike?

FLCN72

Registered
You are new to this board.  You are new to motorcycling.  You are considering buying your first motorcycle or first sport bike.  You are thinking about getting yourself a Hayabusa.  You are wondering if the Hayabusa might be too much bike.  You are considering a Hayabusa for your first bike.  If some of those statements apply to you, then take a few minutes and read this post.

First off, welcome to Hayabusa.Org.  This is, in my opinion, the best Hayabusa dedicated web site out there.  We have a nice community of riders here who share an interest in the world’s fastest stock motorcycle.  Many of the folks here are the most helpful and knowledgeable Hayabusa enthusiasts you’re likely to find.  

This is a great place to learn about the Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa.  And it is a good idea to learn about this bike before buying it.  Just about every Busa topic imaginable has been discussed here.  The forums contain answers to a huge range of questions and are a very valuable resource to any prospective owner.  

One of the most common questions asked around here concerns whether or not someone should buy a Hayabusa.  This tends to come up a lot.  There is just something about the Hayabusa that draws people to it.  It is distinctive, relatively uncommon, interesting, and infamous because of its performance and top speed.  Often folks who have begun looking into bikes discover the Busa and fall for it.  If this sounds like you, then what can I say...  You’ve got good taste.

However, the Hayabusa isn’t a beginner’s bike.  I’m sorry.  It just isn’t.  That isn’t what many new riders want to hear, especially if the Hayabusa is what really fuels their desire to get a bike.  This leads to disappointment and maybe a little resentment.  I promise you, I’m not saying the bike is too good for you or any other elitist crap.  I want more Hayabusa owners and if you love the bike too, then you ought to get one at some point.

There are few bikes worse suited to beginning riders than the Hayabusa.  Learning to ride is a process that involves making mistakes.  Often those mistakes cause a loss of balance which can send the bike down onto its side, especially at low speeds like in the driveway or a parking lot.  As beautiful as all that Busa plastic is, it is also very easy to damage and very expensive to replace.  $600 for one of the side panels.  $400 for a nose.  A simple mistake and a slow drop could cost you $1000 or more to fix.

The legendary power of the Hayabusa is also very attractive and is also dangerous.  This bike will out accelerate any car the average person has even been near.  From a standing start the bike can break most highway speed limits in less than 5 seconds and that is just in first gear!  Second gear can take you to speeds higher than the top speeds of most cars and there are four more gears after that.

Learning how to control that power is vital.  Unintentionally spinning the rear tire can happen very easily.  And unlike a car if the back end gets a little loose on a bike, it can be very hard to regain control which leads to highside crashes.  (When the bike straightens suddenly as the rear tire grabs again, throwing the rider off and in front of the bike.)  It takes throttle control and an instinctive feel for the clutch to harness all that power safely.  A healthy dose of good judgment doesn’t hurt either.  And those are not skills that a new rider has automatically.  It takes practice.

That practice is best performed on a bike with a learning curve a little less steep than the Hayabusa.  Some will say that a 600cc super sport, like a Honda CBR600, is a good first bike.  I respectfully disagree.  Those bikes can still break 140 MPH easily and are also covered in lots of expensive plastic like the Hayabusa.  

A far better choice is the Suzuki SV650.  It has plenty of power to scoot down the road and will still out accelerate most cars out there at a stop light.  It has a wide power band, so proper gear selection isn’t critical -- a handy trait when you are learning to shift.  It is light and inexpensive.  You can really throw it around under you and correct steering mistakes with a minimum of fuss.  Plus those inevitable low speed drops will not ruin the bike.  With a couple of inexpensive frame sliders installed, the bike will probably survive most falls with no damage at all.  There are a ton of after market goodies available to customize it or squeeze a few more ponies out the motor.  And because they are so popular, it is easy to resell them.

There are other good choices too.  What is boils down to is getting an inexpensive bike with a minimum of plastics.  And please, please take the Basic Rider Course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, if you haven’t already.  Then ride as much as possible.  Have fun learning a new passion.  Then when you feel like you’ve got the confidence and skills, go Busa shopping.

Still not convinced?  Then consider the economic angle.  If you are under 25, the insurance on the Busa is going to be killer, more than twice the cost of a SV650.  Every drop, even in the garage will hurt, often to the tune of $600.  Tires are $140 or so.  The rear will need a replacement about every 5000 miles or less.  And the bike itself usually costs more than $10,000 new.  So let's say you get the Busa and finance it with monthly payments and a 10% down payment.  You ride a lot and play with that power some, somehow without getting hurt or crashing.  So two new rear tires in the first year.  Had to get full coverage insurance for the bank.  And there were two unfortunate drops, nothing serious but some fairings and bits had to be replaced.  That first year of ownership cost you $6000 plus gas.  More than the cost of a brand new Suzuki SV650.

Ultimately we buy what we choose to buy.  But the Busa will still be available six months or two years from now.  If you are careful about how you learn to ride and on what, you will be too.  And that Busa will be far more enjoyable and less intimidating if you practiced your basic riding skills on something better suited to it.  

In the meantime, keep coming here and posting and reading.  There are a lot of great folks here and good stories to tell and hear.  Not having a Hayabusa doesn’t disqualify you from being a friend or a fellow enthusiast.

thumbs-up.gif

I agree with everything said and want to add that learning on a bike like the SV 650 will make you a better overall rider than if you were to start on a Busa. If you start on a powerful bike like the Busa, you will be to afraid too do a lot of things that may just be second nature on a smaller bike. I think it should take about 5 years to progress up to a Busa myself.

Damn!! I guess I better turn my Busa in....  
sad.gif

But then I think anyone with less than 1,000,000 miles is a newbie.
smile.gif

And yes that includes me.  
wink.gif

My counterpoint to all the good sense in this post is this. If ya gots the money
and the desire... buy one. But don't whine if ya gets hurt or dies. Or even just
scare yerself into a pair of frilly pink panties.

wow.gif

blush.gif

pirate.gif

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "Had to fix the smilies"|1075848433 -->

Lots of good stuff there.  I'm teaching someone how to ride a motorcycle right now - I'm starting them off on an old 600 I have and they are doing pretty good.  However, they have dropped it twice - once in the grass and once in a parking lot.  Good thing it wasn't a brand new bike
thumbsup.gif

"My counterpoint to all the good sense in this post is this. If ya gots the money and the desire... buy one. But don't whine if ya gets hurt or dies. Or even just scare yerself into a pair of frilly pink panties."

laugh.gif
I thought the panties came standard with the bike? No? Hmm... I'd better have a word with my dealer...

Naturally there are going to be folks who spend their money as they see fit and get the Busa right away. There are people on the board now who have done just that. More power to them. It's just not something I would recommend. My opinion, nothing more.

The busa was my first sport bike. A Harley was my first street bike, which I rode for 4 or 5 years before getting the busa. Prior to that, I rode minibikes, dirtbikes, and 3-wheelers as a kid. When I got my first street bike, I thought I knew how to ride, but I took the MSF course because a friend was taking it and I wanted the insurance discount. I can tell you that I what I learned in the MSF course (plus a lot of practice) has made me a better rider all around, but more importantly, had I not taken it, I'm pretty sure I'd have run myself into a wall on the busa by now. I'm still learning, it never ends. I recommend to ALL street riders and potential street riders to take the MSF course, whether you're a stark beginner, or have some background riding bikes (dirt or street), I guarantee you'll have an easier time becoming a better street rider if you take the damn course and practice what they preach. I honestly didn't think I'd learn ANYTHING from the course, and at times in the beginning thought it was stupid, but once I got back on my Harley, I realized how much easier things were when you did them right. Ok, I've gone off topic, but somone will end up here that needs to hear this, so here it is.

BTW: I bought an SV after buying the busa, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It doesn't make me scream unwillingly like the busa does, but I haven't chased my ZX9R buddy thru the twisties on it yet either. So I'll 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) the recommendation of that as a first bike.

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075863488 -->

Well...basically I agree. I will say that my first (owned) bike was quite big (a K1200RS -- almost 700lbs wet) with a bunch of power (130hp/80lbf) all things considered and I had no memorable "problems."

I did make a few mistakes early on, however, including dropping the beast against a brick wall. However, I think that most errors that newbies are certain to make really happen at speeds than ANY bike can achieve, and the minimal research we have seems to support that.

I.e., most single-vehicle (bike only), sober accidents happen when a rider blows a turn in the 40's or 50's of mph (often target fixation, I guess), not at 186mph. The wheelbase and torque of the 'Busa makes that a little more likely, but not guaranteed.

Yes, the bigger bike is harder to manage at lower speeds and way more expensive to make mistakes on. That's something a potential owner has to accept, and most younger riders probably can't afford it.

In any case, this is how I got away with starting with that big of a bike:

(1) I had ridden/borrowed several different bikes before (the one I was most intimate with was a 185cc Yammie)
(2) I took the MSF basic rider course
(3) Just 'cuz I'm paranoid, I hired Lawrence Grodsky for two days of one-on-one
(4) I'm a big/tall guy, so a little tip won't mean a drop (BIG point in my favor *giggle*)
(5) I took the ERC in my first year of ownership with the big bike
(6) I rode ALL THE TIME, and practiced all by my lonesome, running the same roads and parking lots over and over

...So, in conclusion, if you can pull off MOST IF NOT ALL of these things, I'd say the 'Busa is a good bike to start with
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|mcoyote
Reason for Edit: "Fergot stuff"|1075864692 -->

Good reading. I was expecting the usual back/forth argument to start up, but everyone seems to be respectfull of the others opinions.

Good Job!
beerchug.gif

I'm 38 and I've been riding since I was 12. I started on a 100cc street/trail bike, then went to street bikes with a few years on each: 250cc, 400cc, 920cc, ten year break (parenthood), 1340cc Harley, 1550cc Harley(still have it), and then the Hayabusa.

After all of those bikes, the busa still scared the shiot out of me a few times. I'm still amazed at it's power every time I ride it.

I agree with FLCN72 that it is not a good first bike, but if the person has the maturity to ride within their limits and not any faster than their gaurdian angel can fly, then okay, but that once you've been bitten by the accelleration bug, it's VERY hard not to give in to the temptaion every chance you get.

Love it! I agree that you should get another bike first. As you can see in my signature, I started big, a 900 and have only gone up from there.

My recommendations go along with most of the above. Start w/ an "all purpose" bike and learn on it. Take your local MSF course (I used to teach it) and keep you head out of your anal cavity.

After you've got 10k+ miles on other bikes, look at the Busa again and THEN go for it if it still fits your model of the ultimate bike. You may find that you do not like having your pants puckering up the seat every time you take off and would like a cruiser better.

Either way, enjoy riding and keep the shiny side up!

I am 38, and consider myself to be an experienced rider.

After more than 300.000 km on various bikes (and more than 500.000 on cars..) I think I have the maturity NOT to open the throttle just because it can be done. I can corner safely, and can manage bulk and weight (in reasonable limits..). I respect fellow drivers/riders on the streets and defy all challenges that defy logic (well, almost..).

My only concern is that the busa will be my first purely street bike.. I have had all kinds of on-off bikes, and I never crashed on the streets in my 20 years carreer (without being attacked by foul-play "can" operators.. ..of course, excluding also the dirt-road occasional fall-out.. actually, more than too often - but then this is part of the deal..)..

Now, I know all things considered there is much sense in what I 've read in this thread... I simply can't wait to go to intermediate stages on this one, since there is nothing like "wanting" something (and I lately keep "wanting" things in a steadily "fading-out" way, for which I am not particularly happy about.. could it be I am getting old? I am not suppose to comment my own words, right?..)

Thanks for the warnings, though. All was right to the point, and I sincerely hope to keep up with the promise I gave to myself; "live to ride another day"
smile.gif

I will most certainly keep in touch with you guys, seems like THE site for the busa..

RaiderDm,
Well if I scare myself into a pair of frilly pink panties I think I wouldn't mind one bit! But then again I would mind if i were a guy!
wink.gif

Okay. I read it all about how a busa is a bad 1st bike, it's too much, it's too big, yadi-yadi-yadi-ya-ya. I just picked up a brand new busa less than a month ago. Guess what!! It's me very very very first bike. I live in the worst possible area of the world when it comes to traffic, Los Angeles. Guess what!! I'm still alive. Have I dropped it? I sure did, on the first two days, and as a matter of fact right in the dealer parking lot in front of the sales guy that I just bought it off from. Did I drop it again, I sure did. That same night as a matter of more fact at my friend's house trying to roll back out of his driveway. Did I drop it again?? I sure did, 2 more times for that matter. The very last was while stopped at a moderate incline. So far all of the damages have been cosmetic, scratched fairings (no cracks) and I replaced the broken clutch lever. Yes, I even rode it back to the dealer to buy insurance from them for it and had it looked at in the meantime. No major or even moderate damage. From two experts, from two different bike shops: It can be lightly buffed out and repainted. NO problem. $150 tops. Even way less than that since my sister's boyfriend owns and operates a auto body shop that will do the work as long as I take off the fairings and supple the paint.

How am I doing now? Haven't dropped it since that last drop on the incline. Yes, I've ridden it on the streets and freeway (90mph was all I was willing to push it for now because the engine's not fully broken in yet) and I'm still alive and in one piece.

Soon I'll be more comfortable splitting lanes without blinking an eye.

I'm I a "big" guys? Not at all, I'm probably the skinniest guy you'll find on a busa.

Busa: 520 lb or so
Me: 135 lb or so (if I've drank at least 5 cups of water for that day)
Busa: 32 inch seat height
me: 5' 8" (5'9" with the Alpinestars SM-X boots on)
Busa: 160 horsepower
me: co-workers think I should be in therapy and on medication
Busa: 2003 model
me: not pretty enough to be a model, but builded in 1972

Funny thing is that first night my own 22 y.o. nephew was afraid for me and urged me to give it up and trade it in for something small like a F4i. Am I hard-head and stupid? Or am I committed? I like to think I'm committed... Maybe a touch of stupidity.

Yes, I went against the grain, rocking the boat, etc... But I'm in 1 piece so far. Who knows 6 months, 1 year or 2 years from now? But I like to look at it this way: With constant riding on it, I will likely just get better with time.

So to all of you Nay-Sayers out there: If 6 months from now I'm still in one piece, I'll come back and laugh in your face. If I turned into a organ donor (whatever I've not damaged with cigarettes and alcohol already), then you can scowl at me over my grave.

To all those that really want a busa as a first bike (not just considered, you need more conviction than that): Believe and have faith in yourself. And go for what you truly want. Someone wisely said "You can die just as easily on a 600cc as you can on a 1300cc busa".

By the way, I think they have a running bet at the dealership on when I'll end up in the hospital or in the ground. Funniest thing is when I went to a mom and pop bike shop 10 miles from the dealer where I bought the bike from, they already heard of me. All they can say when they saw me rolling up was, "you're that crazy guy that bought a busa for his first bike!! Is it really your very first bike??". And I replied with a poop-eating grin, 'Yes it is.'

eynlai,
Your Funny as hell...  I don't think anyone here said it cannot be done, just that it is a bad idea...  You drop your Busa 4 times <span style='color:orangered'>FOUR</span> times and you say you are successfully handling your Busa?...  Holy crap!!!  How do you define failure? If you had been on a 600 Guess what, chances are you could have managed to hold it up.  I dunno why you take this thread so personally when it obviously wasn't directed at you, nor does it sound like you actually read much of thread.  

CAN a person buy a Busa as their first bike and not die?  OF COURSE, is it a good idea HELL NO!  I agree you can kill yourself on any bike, the difference is that the Busa is much less forgiving than allmost any smaller bike of Newbie/Born Again riders getting it all wrong.  

I generally recommend against a Busa as a first bike if for no other reason than the intimidation factor. It's a Big Damn bike, with a crapload of torque. A rider with some exeriance under their belt will be able to explore and exploit the power and have fun doing it. There is a good chance that a first time rider is going to fear the 5kRPM rush and may never be able to move on, to really explore and improve their riding ability. To basically get cowed by the Busa and just be pretty unhappy with it. While the same rider on a 600cc machine (Still Fast as Hell) will more than likely be able to grow into it completely and really explore those limits. Not to mention saving a quite a bit on Insurance...

So everyone around you thinks it's a bad idea, the folks here recommend against it, and you think the dealers have a pool on you? Doesn't this strike you as odd? It's not a point to be proud of, it's a sign that something is wrong, that you are in over your head and do not even recognize it. I am not saying your Doomed to Fail, Hell I sincerely hope not, but to be recommending to others that they go for it just doesn't make sense. You dropped your Busa 4 times with only $150 worth of damage... I'm skeptical but OK, But that is not normal, a drop in the garage can easily crack a fairing and then your looking at a whole lot more money if you ever want it to look right again...

ALLRIGHT allright, enough of the Finger Waggling poop, your over thirty, you can think for yourself... But I would like to ask you a question? Have you taken the MSF Beginners Course? If not Check them out here <span style='color:blue'>MSF</span>, and also take a few minutes and click on their "Riders Challenge". Sign up for the class nearest you. I promise you it will make you a much better rider in just the weekend, No BS... Besides there are usually some pretty Ladies in there and you get to play on bikes for two days. It's a good time.

Sounds like you have your gear on which is a good thing. Nobody here recommends against anyone getting a Busa for some sorta "Exclusive Club", Or any sort of BS like that, it really is just not a good idea to start with the Biggest sportbike ever made.

Hell I want to see some pics of your new ride and get a breakdown of your learning curve over the next few months.
Stick around, you'll prolly have some questions and this is a good place to get real answers, if your want answers anyway.

Use the Force and Sh!t... Shiney Side Up!

Rev

Thanks for pointing it out, Revlis. But like I said, 'I'm committed', or should be (to a rubber padded room?). You sure was counting, hehehe, 4 times. I couldn't believe how limited the damage was myself until I got 2 professional opinion with the same conclusion. Ironically, you hit it on the nose, they were pretty much considered "garage" drops. I was expecting to shell out at least $700, but turned out to be all scratches. I took the fairings off myself and examined the inside, no crack.

And I agree with you 100%, busa is not the ideal first bike. But I don't think I'm the only one with just the right mixture of determination, stubborness, and insanity to get one as such. All I'm saying is, even against all odds, go for it. Because there will never be a second chance. What I'm pointing at is: Everyone who'sever had a bike can only have 1 first bike. Pass up the chance to make it a busa the first time, and it will never ever come again... Unless you have a amnesia
smile.gif

I've spent my life beating the odds, going against the grain, etc... Not saying I'm special (did I ride in on the short yellow bus this morning??? I can't remember), but for good or bad I made MY choice. That's all I'm saying: Heed the warning and advice of others, but make YOUR choice, not someone else's.

And while it can very well be true for most, that learning to master the art of riding should start at 600cc or below. I'm going to look at the other side of the coin: If I can master the busa in Los Angeles traffic, then anything smaller, lighter or anywhere else would be a breeze. Yup, I'm one of those that first learned how to drive in a manual transmission car first (not saying it's the same as a bike).

Oh, yes, I did take the MSF class first, at L.A. Valley College because they didn't offer it at Pasadena City College this year. And I didn't drop the bike during the riding part, although it was a Yammie 250cc dual bike. Yes, some nice looking ladies there too
smile.gif
That's how I got my M1 license without having to take the riding portion of the test at the DMV. Because I passed the coarse, not saying the pretty ladies had anything to do with that
smile.gif

Let's get one last thing clear. I didn't buy the busa for any kind of status, to below in a group of that "bad boyz", or even to attract the lovely ladies. If I did, I would've spent less money and gotten a F4i or a Gixxer 750 or something. I bought it because this is for me. Not just any busa either, not even one of the same year or same color. But it had to be this one, this grey one that waited in the dealership for me 85 miles away from where I live. When all of the other ones ('03) models were sold out during the model year end clearance, this one waited for me. The same one that I sat on, at the same dealership over 2 months prior, the same exact one.

There was a connection, a certain destiny that my skinny butt to her seat.

It's a long long story. Don't want to drag it out too much more. So, to what you're interested in.

My initial nervousness of turns from a stop... overcame it more than 1 week ago. Yesterday marked my 3rd face off with a start off from a stop at a mild to moderate incline, as you remember my first resulted in my last drop (#4). My 2nd face off was still a little nerve-racking, but no drop, just dragged both boots a little until I was sure there was enough speed to balance. My 3rd one yesterday felt even better, no dragging boots, it was from a stop to a left turn arrow light, in fact, I even had a as*hole behind me in a mustang that kept creeping up closer and closer to me during the red on that incline. I just kept my right foot on the rear brake, gave it a touch of gas, eased the clutch out a bit and eased off the rear brake a bit to give myself a little more rear room from him before taking off.

I will sure get those pictures posted before I get it repainted.

I appreciate the concern, but I could use the advice and support more, even though it's after the fact.

Reply to this posting if you want to hear more of my learning curve.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Nah man, You do not have to continue unless you want to, I understand obsessing about a bike certainly, and I can almost see your point.  But I still disagree with anyone recommending this as a first bike.  What I'm pointing at is: Everyone who'sever had a bike can only have 1 first bike. Pass up the chance to make it a busa the first time, and it will never ever come again... Unless you have a amnesia[/QUOTE] This isn't childbirth, it's not your virginity. Every new bike I have had is like my first bike because they all have their own personalities. What I am thinking is going to end up sucking for you is this: Where do you go from here? What can you move up to? What Now? You've started at the top of the food chain, everything after this is going to feel a bit flat. I don't think you will be able to really appreciate just how well finished and mannered the Busa is because you do not have those "Earlier bike" memories. So while your having fun, you still might be missing out, without the "history" I guess...
It would be like your first sexual encounter being with a Super Model over a weekend in Europe... Where the hell do you go from there... Everything else is going to seem... Well, a little Tame... (Trust me I know)
wow.gif

Anyway, Good Luck, Be freakin Careful and take your time...
Make sure your having fun...

Rev

damn it, Rev! That was a damn good retort with that starting at the top. Well, I'll just have to resort to your other point that all bikes have their own personalities. And even though I'll be "stepping down" when I get my other bikes, I'll appreciate them for that.

Just to keep it up-to-date: I rode 85 miles up to Oxnard yesterday to get my first scheduled 600 miles service. Tech said everything checked out okay, they basically changed the oil and filter. Spent the rest of the day and evening riding and rode the 85 miles home at 2 am. Had to stop near Woodland Hills to get some rest, coffee and some warmth. But made it home in one frozen piece.

I do have a question though: I could obviously only notice at night, but when I shift, I see that the headlights dim a bit before letting the clutch back out and giving it throttle. Is this normal? Is it just that the busa is a electricity hog?

Back