New busa owner 99-00

racerx43269

Registered
HELLO!!!!!

I recently picked up a 99'. its my first busa, I got it at a killer deal and just couldn’t pass up the offer. The bike has its issues that are being worked on at the moment. so I won’t be riding for a little while; And in the mean time of not riding, I am going to take a motorcycle safety course, refreshing my skills never hurt; not to mention the power of the hayabusa is.. Well it’s intimidating but awesome. And for that reason amongst others i will be taking a MSC.

I do actually have a few questions and i have been using the lovely search feature, (haven’t got many results) so I will post them here.
Since buying the bike the guy who previously had it said that it had:
Engine:
Cams
Custom crankshaft
Race clutch
HID head light
Full race exhaust
Power commander 3

The rest of the stuff:
A bigger sprocket
Lowering coil over (front and rear)
Nitrous kit
Lowering links (lowered 2 inches I believe)
Stretched 6 inches

With all that being said… the bike is FAST and I know that.. but it has its problems too.
Issues with the bike: (due to the previous owner’s negligence:
1.) Oil sender wire was in the clutch basket (pinched between the housing and actual motor where you bolt it up) (has been fixed, replaced wire and cover material)
2.) Starter motor went out (ordered new starter last night)
3.) Brake and clutch lever were cut, (he didn’t spend the money to buy new ones so I bought new ones, replaced them)
4.) Clutch reservoir was REALLLY low, and bike wouldn’t shift into neutral to save my life)
5.) Nitrous spray nozzles were hanging out of the air box, ( I reinstalled them properly, I am leaving them there, the bike is tuned to them, so why not leave them there and NOT use them.
6.) Fairings are all missing bolts
7.) Tank is missing bolts
8.) Air filter is missing 2 screws
9.) Fairing covers have broken tabs.

I have a velocity turbokit with a garrett gt2871R that is not on the bike as of yet.. I wil eventually put it on there.. but NOT right now..

I wish i had a bag of misc bolts that matched.. because the bike is missing bolts here and there and just needs to be replaced like there are 2 bolts holding the tank on instead of 4.
that kinda stuff..

With all this being needed to be done I will be investing some money in it to get things right... Things that I intend on buying are obviously the stuff to fix the issues... but frame sliders as well.. JUST IN CASE... Because plastics are freakin expensive. $1000 complete set unpainted. That is an easy ouch to my pocket...

On to my questions…
1.) What is a GOOD brand frame slider? I have looked around and I have seen several different brands, types (engine cages “ Crash Cageâ€, plastic mounted frame sliders, polyurethane frame sliders, aluminum ones, I just need one that is reliable and isn’t a piece of junk.
2.) How can you tell if your bike is truly cam’d do all busa’s lug at idle (1250 rpms) obviously there is a cam’d sound and you can kinda tell. I don’t mind taking the valve cover off, and looking, but right now I don’t have another gasket, and I really don’t want to use RTV on the valve cover when there is a proper gasket that I can use and I have to order that before I go down that road.
3.) Clutches…. How can you tell a stock clutch from another, I know I have to pull the clutch pack assembly, and pull the discs out of the basket, BUT are there any identifying marks on the disk’s? Any way I can tell by color or by material? The clutch basket and assembly look BRAND NEW, almost like an unpolished aluminum color.. the clutch is VERY grabby, and some of that is with adjustment, some of it is clutch..
4.) Crankshaft……. When I pulled the casings off the bike ( right hand side ) to check the starter gear as well as clean up all the nasty RTV that was everywhere, I managed to drop a washer down by the crank shaft.. so I had to fish it out.. DON’T want that floating around in there.. while I was doing that I noticed that the crank shaft has what looks like heat treated titanium on the gear inside.. Is that normal? Upgraded? Standard wear and tear? Am I looking to far into this?
As I said before, I am new to riding.. And I REALIZE this is NOT a good beginner bike.. BUT.. its what I have.. So I am going to start slow… I have been riding in circles A LOT and figure 8’s without putting my feet down.. Even when I want to I keep my feet on the pegs and just use the gas and front brake with some clutching to keep the bike stable.... This is a learning curve process... BUT it is safe and away from people and I am learning the bike and how it moves at slow speeds... Because I can already tell that it is PLENTY capable of rocketing me to high speeds faster than I can think. 

One last thing… I want to say thank you to all of the riders here that contribute, and make this place a friendly place to learn and read about experiences and information. It is truly AWSOME

ill get some pictures up tonight.. i had to charge my camera. and YES it is a project... I am looking into the ECU editor aspect and i am going to look into building a harness similar to the ODB2 and utilizing the tactrix cable approach with the gen 2 ecu once i get one.. IF all works out i might be able to code a program similar to ECUFLASH and use evoscan to scan the eco and log with it on a very user friendly interface.. I havent played around with the ecu editor, but i do have rom raider.. ( also similar to ecuflash )

Welcome, if you need any misc stuff lmk.. I got more than you could ever need...lol

IMAG2427.jpg

IMAG2428.jpg

IMAG2429.jpg

IMAG2430.jpg

Welcome to the .org, and to the family!

a 99 with a dead starter? I really hope the casings are ok, since the starting systems on the early bikes are known to have some issues in this area. There are lots of information about on solving this issue, searching the forums should give you plenty of info :)

I'd highly recommend LSL sliders; imo the sexiest and least intrusive sliders available. Sure, they're a bit pricey, but it's form AND function.

Golden... I got a list... so I will be emailing you shortly. lol, I also need to get that turbo list to you for what i want to do, bike specs and pictures.. I am going to get started on taht here in about 20 minutes.. I gotta make me an omlette for breakfast.

Back