First Time Rider: First Bike Busa

Here's some good advice:
The day you think to yourself "Wow, I can not just ride this bike, but ride it WELL" STOP and go back to the basics. This bike's temper changes more than a menopausal woman! PLEASE be careful. above 7,000rpms its a MONSTER. THAT'S why they call the busa a beast! If you ride it slow, you will no doubt get a hell of a confidence boost, but be warned... when you start accelerating hard it gets dangerous... especially when things go wrong and you don't have the abilities that come with years and years of riding on 2 wheels.

In my opinion, the reason why I say the Busa is NOT good first bike is that it deceives you. At first you're scared sh!tless and intimidated because everyone tells you that it's a BAD idea. But once you get on it and realize it's NOT that scary, you let your guard down. Maybe not the first day.. or the second.. or the first month... but eventually, you WILL be overconfident. That's when most people fug up. At first, the busa WILL seem heavy when pushing it around, but nothing an average person can't handle. After that, the faster you go, the lighter it will seem. That's just the way the bike was designed.... but it's not.. it's still heavy as sheet! and you won't realize it until you have to depend on your reflexes to get your butt out of trouble (this is where the years of experience come in, btw). Anyways, I feel like I'm ranting now... just remember, when you think you're getting the hang of it, remember that you're not! I'm not trying to offend you in anyway because I think fighting over the internet is stupid, but I just want to give you what I think is good advice that I've learnt in my years of riding (especially on street bikes). I know you got the bike, and no matter what anyone here says, you're still gonna ride it, so go ahead, have a blast! Just keep in mind all the advice that you're getting from people who've been riding for years on this board.

RIP - Ride in Peace
and keep the rubber side down... hopefully touching the ground.... at all times.....
cool.gif

I'm glad you rode it a bit.. glad you didn't have any big probs.. I guess tomorrow is the MSF course...

I've never done it.. I hear it's good though.

I may not be the best rider in the world but I would never ever get a Busa as my first Bike nor my second either... And would not get one with less than 5 year min riding experince either... JMO as stupid as it may be or sound... And still with all that would get use to the bike and get to know it before I really would cut loose on it... Nothing like cutting loose on something our not use too... know this first hand then again was 18/19 and stupid and bikes then were not exceeding warp speed LOL!!! jk... seriously now got to think about it... better to get use to riding and use to riding on something small... sv650 katana 600, gs 500f and I know I wil get lamb basted on these others but ninja 250 or 500 is antoehr good beginners choice... As well as r6 or a gixxer 600 MAX and that is on a radical side as the r6 is... But if you decide to get a BUSA ... take a beginners and an advance riding coarse ASAP.. and get use to the bike and stay alert when riding....

You're missing the point. This is the U.S. and yes you can buy whatever bike you want. Does that mean you will buy the one suited best for your needs? In this case probably not. Hey it's your life live it how you want, but you are not going to convince me or any other experienced rider that college basketball or physical fitness or anything other than seat time will provide you with the skills required to ride safely on a 160hp, 185mph capable bike. Have fun, it's a steep learning curve......
steep learning curve is a bit understated... even me riding since 1977 and off and on know better... but I keep up witht he times on riding but not my own bike... my first marriage she would not allow me too and out of respect I did not get into it other than sneeking a ride here and their... to keep my skills current even friends who had more exprenece did not have the balls to cut loose on some serious machines of the day and the Busa I say is a cutting edge oof beyound serious machine... But let him learn we all were like that at one time.... hope him well and not learn a bad lesson and get hurt... it is not like any other machines....

just the fact that your not clear on what I meant by you being a "non-rider" further proves that your a non-rider.. which is no big deal really..

I was just saying that your talking about things that you don't understand.

Like you mentioning that you like the way the busa looks, and feels.

The looks yeah.. you can rail about that all ya want.. but uh.. what are you comparing the feel too?

The busa feels heavy, low, and wide compared to every other sport bike I've ridden.

just for the record.. i rarely do anything stupider than playing in the twisties somewhat.  (twisties in rider speak mean curvy mountain roads BTW)

I rarely wheelie, never stunt, and I have wear more gear than most...

thats what ya need for sure.. good spine protector, boots, gloves, full leathers.. gooooood helmet.  

Cuz it's probably gonna be a bumpy ride.
Speaking of gear ....were did you get yours? Does it have hayabusa all over it?
OMG!!!

Speaking of gear ....were did you get yours? Does it have hayabusa all over it?
Spoken like a true poser! Anyway as your local dealer, they can get a whole line of hayabusa gear (helmet and jacket at least). I would suggest getting a shoei RF1000 , it looks good and in my opinion is one of the best out there. Also check ebay for some good deals.
I too have to agree of the RF-1000 for a Busa and a X-11 for a 1K... thats how I am doing it based on reading on what gear is right for what bike and to me head gear is very very very important and should have to appropriate gear for the bike... JMO!!! do not know how you feel on the above statement...

I'm 40 years old, I've been riding bikes since I was 5, I've been riding big road bikes since I was 17, (after spending a year on a 250, as is our lincensing system), let me assure you that nothing can prepare you for the sheer torque and speed of a Busa.  As these guys have been trying to tell you, you can get yourself into real trouble really quickly on something that has the speedo needle move in sync with the tacho, if not with the law, then with the traffic or even just on your own.  If you arent going to listen to anyone then spare a thought for your family, or for the Paramedics that have to hose you off the road.  It's idiots like you who give most of us a bad name, and unfortunately, they are all over the world.
I started out on a Yamaha DT250D as my first bike back then was a bit on the too much scale but not outragous scale as the busa is as a first bike, I figured keeping the bike for awhile so rather than go to a 125 a 250 would be good learning on and keep for awhile to get use to riding ect...

I have to dissagree with you on the idiot part... nost accidents are beyond idiots on bikes.. it morons on cell phones in suvs and minivans who think the road belongs to only them, and your their road and you have to yeild to them... Just today I saw 4 bikers riding and a ##### in an SUV cut them off and run 1 off the road almost causing the rider to crash... it is alot more than an inexperince rider that causes problems but the 2 together can be fatal if our not alert as these guys were today and thank god did not have to witness a death cause some bimbo is concerned about her phone call while driving her suv on her road.......

chowan24 for whats it's worth IMO.. take a beginners and an advance coarse, stay away from heavy traffic and higways till your use to the bike, take it easy on it get use to it and once you have done all and feel confident enjoy what it offers... and listen to these guys who have had a few busa's already... I too like the Busa for looks but also know what I am getting into myself but as I stated in other posts here I have experince on powerful bike but I do not get on a bike I am not use to and cut loose... to me your just asking for trouble... take your time you got losts of time to enjoy it to the fullest once you get use to it and after taking coarses... take them it is worth the money... let me put it this way taking the coarses is good sense... and whats a few dollars more towards the busa by taking them just to get some skill???

Maybe your a hater.  Whatever Fam ride on.  Your silly. I'll holla
Man, you wanna-be slang, talking suburban kids kill me. Good luck impressing your "patna's" in your "hood" dawg! I'm sure you'll be the envy of all the other "homies"
ices_rofl.gif
I'm not a hater, what do you have for me to hate? Your soon-to-be-Busa? Mine's in the garage. Your Dad's car? It's your Dad's. I, like most others answered your post about the Busa being a good choice for a first bike. I still don't think it's a good idea. Never will. You do as you see fit, just be careful. it ain't worth getting hurt or worse just to prove a point. Sh!t happens waaaay faster on a Busa than any other bike. It can be deceptive, make you think you're the boss. She'll take her respect from you, either the easy way(you give it to her) or the hard way (you wondering wtf happened) I posted my thoughts because you asked for opinions, not to get in an argument with you. Be careful, that's all I'm sayin.
First, I'm not your wannabe suburban kid. Second, I don't have a group of homies. I'm not your stereotypical black kid. Yeah I played college ball "FAM", and I have a Degree "My Man" I'm Strictly Professional "DAWG". A Career not a Job. You came at me with a lame post. This post is about First time rider, First bike Busa. You thought you were funny w/ my basketball career, and my dads car.  You call me the kid. Wow. So your Busa's in the garage....What's the big deal!!!! Were talkin' $11K.  Whatever.  That's not any Real Money.  The sad part of your post is of everything that has been written on this post the thing that made you put your hands on the keyboard was my basketball career, and my dad's car.  Not the bike, but a joke to make your self feel good. Evaluate yourself before you come at me again.
If you took the time to read my first post to you, you would have seen that I wasn't making any jokes at all. I don't feel the need to make fun of anyone to elevate myself.I think you are a wanna-be suburban kid. I didn't say you were a stereotypical black kid, I just thought your use of slang was funny. I don't care if you played college ball, have a degree and a career or not. None of those things are relevant to the topic. I came at you with a lame post? You post up jumping to all types of conclusions about why some people can't handle a Busa, why riders fall etc. Then you proceed to explain why those factors will not apply to you. You base this on no experience at all, on any kind of bike let alone a Busa, and then argue, citing some nonsense about college basketball, when those of us with experience tried to caution you. You seem awfully touchy that I referred to you as a "kid". You bragged on what kind of car your Dad drives, who else but a kid would do that? You make a reference to me not having "Real Money". How do you figure you know what I'm worth? Is it because I don't talk about what I do or don't have in cyberspace? Be for real. You don't know anything about me, so act accordingly. I based my comments on information YOU volunteered about yourself, and the way you presented yourself. I don't give a fu#k about what you got, what you did, or how you live. I got better things to worry about than what you ride or how you ride it. Know this: If you post up like a little punk kid, acting like you know it all, and you don't make mistakes, you will be dismissed as such. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you are the only one that frequents this board with an education, a career and disposable income. When you've got a mortgage, car payments, and a  familly who depends on you on your back, and can still afford toys, then come holla. I'm not gonna argue further, because there's no point.  Do your thing.
smile.gif

well spoken...

chowan24 for whats it's worth IMO.. take a beginners and an advance coarse, stay away from heavy traffic and higways till your use to the bike, take it easy on it get use to it and once you have done all and feel confident enjoy what it offers... and listen to these guys who have had a few busa's already...  I too like the Busa for looks but also know what I am getting into myself but as I stated in other posts here I have experince on powerful bike but I do not get on a bike I am not use to and cut loose... to me your just asking for trouble... take your time you got losts of time to enjoy it to the fullest once you get use to it and after taking coarses... take them it is worth the money... let me put it this way taking the coarses is good sense... and whats a few dollars more towards the busa by taking them just to get some skill???
Everyone is not the same with these bikes. Some learn faster than others. Some aquire the skills quicker than others. People learn at different speeds and time frames. It doesn't take everyone 2 or 3 bikes to be able to handle a busa, or have the so-called experience.

know it from experince... And when I got my first bike I did not even know how to ride.. got it home(@9 mile journey) took 30 min to figure it out riding in parents yard... and 3 hours riding around the naighborhood before going back out on main roads and a month before I even atemped the highway...

I'm glad you rode it a bit.. glad you didn't have any big probs..   I guess tomorrow is the MSF course...

I've never done it.. I hear it's good though.
The course is great!!!! They teach the fundamentals to the T. I learned a $hit load of technique today. I tweaked the hell out of my cornering. I felt alot better knowing that i dwindled my chance of making a mistake on the bike.

welcome to the board!
smile.gif

Its your money... its your bike, and its your life!! So you have pretty much right to do whatever you want....

..but yourhave posted on a public forum, expecting some answers. So my answer would be... you should re-consider your decision. Im not a expert biker or anything of that sort... but I have had my fair share of two wheeled riding, but still the first couple of miles on the busa were scary!!

...If your getting on a motrocycle for the first time on a busa!! Well I bet it wont be easy...

Have a safe 1
tounge.gif

welcome to the board!
smile.gif

Its your money... its your bike, and its your life!! So you have pretty much right to do whatever you want....

..but yourhave posted on a public forum, expecting some answers. So my answer would be... you should re-consider your decision. Im not a expert biker or anything of that sort... but I have had my fair share of two wheeled riding, but still the first couple of miles on the busa were scary!!

...If your getting on a motrocycle for the first time on a busa!! Well I bet it wont be easy...

Have a safe 1
tounge.gif
Its not easy @ all, but is not impossible either. I'm enjoying the hell out of the bike. I think my short success w/ the bike has alot to do with my respect for the beast, and I'm not tempted.

welcome to the board!
smile.gif

Have a safe 1
tounge.gif
Its not easy @ all, but is not impossible either.  I'm enjoying the hell out of the bike.  I think my short success w/ the bike has alot to do with my respect for the beast, and I'm not tempted.
If your making progress... then Im all happy for you bro!! WOuld really love to see a lot of busa owners... owners who keep their rubber side down!!

Ride safe... enjoy
beerchug.gif

welcome to the board!
smile.gif

Have a safe 1
tounge.gif
Its not easy @ all, but is not impossible either.  I'm enjoying the hell out of the bike.  I think my short success w/ the bike has alot to do with my respect for the beast, and I'm not tempted.
If your making progress... then Im all happy for you bro!! WOuld really love to see a lot of busa owners... owners who keep their rubber side down!!

Ride safe... enjoy
beerchug.gif
Thanks the bike has been just astounding. My boss says she hopes I get over it soon. she thinks i'm in a selling slump. What ever I'm still the man!!!!

Back