First Time Rider: First Bike Busa

Well now boys and girls now that that has been settled, I just logged my 2000 mile as a "Busa as a first time bike owner", I had the bike for 3 weeks before weather permitted me to ride it.  During this time I had found the greatest message board on the net being right here, (you guys rock!).  But anyway you all had me scared to death to even sit on the thing, I got familiar with her on the country roads near my house.  Dealt with all the salt, sand and gravel on the roads from winter had to use alot of caution but never the less a good experience.  mainly commuting 18 miles to work into the city, not too bad.  I know this doesn't gain much respect but after logging some 20,000 miles on a bicycle through many major metro areas around the country, NYC, DC, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Columbus and so on I have developed a very defensive attitude towards traffic.  keeping a close eye on every vehicle around and expecting the ones I can't always see.  You see cagers think it's just a bicycle, but 30+ mph on a 15mm tire and no protective gear beyond gloves and a helmet can kill you!  More bicyclist die in my area than motorcyclists.  I hope I never get 110% confident because I expect that's when you get bit.  Everyone I hear speaking of accidents always says "I have been riding for years and I still crashed".  i would like to see a poll sometime of the scale of years when everyone crashed.  If time of experience or bike style was all there was to it then Non Busa owners and would never crash and everybody would go down on the first day.  I ride with caution, respect the power and anticipate the unseen.  I may go down someday due to my own or someone elses negligence but enough already of how the Busa is a bad choice for a first bike.  Did you all start out driving Yugos as a first car?  If it's in your hearts desire to own a Busa and you've got the dough go for it.  Respect it and respect others around you, don't come off as some half baked punk who owns the fastest bike on the planet.  Just ride.
I agree totally. Respect is important.  I truelly am more excited about getting the bike than riding it.  Sounds crazy, but true. I just wanted it, so i'm getting it.  I truly wonder if I'll ever ride the damn thing to be honest.  We'll see when it comes.
There is a fundamental aspect of this whole topic that both of you guys are either not aware of or choose to omit from the perspective you have shared here.

What I am referring to is possessing the basic skills to a proficient level that you can react to unforeseen dangers, such as a rock falling into your path, a car pulling out of a driveway, blowing a tire in the middle of a corner, or one of many many other possible perils.  While it is true that you would not have the abilities to quickly react on a smaller bike for quite some time, your likelihood of success, should you encounter such a situation, is nearly nil on any high performance bike.

Putting all the squid-like behavior  (wheelies, stunting, breaking the sound barrier, etc.) aside and operating from a premise that you are riding in a proactive fashion, you are still facing the challenge of mass management.  For a motorcycle, mass management equates to the ability to accurately manage the mass of your bike and you.  The force, timing, and necessity for smoothness when trying to shift this mass, in a controlled fashion, to avoid another object, or to stop this mass at maximum efficient braking, or a combination of the two, is multiplied in a non-linear fashion as the weight of the mass increases.

Obviously anyone can choose to go out and buy any  bike they see fit and proceed to teach themselves how to ride it. This has happened countless times and will so for as long as they make bikes.  The problem is that as the mass of the bike increase, the likelihood of success diminishes.

You mentioned awaiting a training course, I am assuming that this is a course that follows the MSF curriculum.  Their courses are outstanding and definitely a good start for you.  Please understand though, that the basic course will not teach you all the skills that you need to operate a high performance bike.  To acquire those skills you need to look at MSF experienced rider courses and/or several of the advanced rider courses taught throughout the country.

There is the argument that Sikorsky taught himself how to safely fly the first helicopter and that a motorcycle is far less complex than any helicopter.  That fact is indeed true, however, Sikorsky crashed a total of nine helicopters and killed an employee in the process of teaching himself how to fly a helicopter.

In closing, I would like to impart one last point.  Please understand that nearly all of the people who you see posting on this board are truly good people.  They truly do care about others and have shown that many times in many threads on this board.  Most of the people here tend to be more mature, many being parents.  The nurturing part tends to spill out a lot easier for anyone who has been a parent.   If you venture onto other sites you will see a very different make-up of the people who post there.

OK;  Time to get off the Soap-Box, my feet are tired.

Good luck and welcome to the board, and don’t be a tight-ass when it comes outfitting yourself with protective equipment.  Whether or not it has Hayabusa written all over it….
Appreciate your view. Your right on everything you said. I don't have any of the skills or experience, and with this powerful monster it will take longer to aquire them. I'm not even sure if the bike will hit the street to often. I'm in no rush to run the pavement. There is a extreme learning curve i must overcome, but I welcome the challenge. As for the gear, I bought to much. lol. I got all the 05 Hayabusa gear....Helmet, and jacket. I even bought a Suzuki jacket it looked really cool, so i bought it. Also bought 4 pairs of gloves. I think I over did it on the security. I bought the Scorpio with ever option, lojack is going to be installed, front and rear chains, and 2 disc locks. Did I mention I stll haven't recieved my LE.
tounge.gif

I just put my deposit on a 2005 Busa Limited Edition yesterday.  I can't wait.  Should this be my first bike? YES!!!!  Everything in life is about knowing your limits, being disciplined, and being responsible.  Those are some of life’s guidelines.  If you can't ride your Busa with that perspective then the Busa shouldn't be your 1st bike. Think about it anyone who buys the Busa knows the bike is a absolute power wh#re.  Do you have to be the idiot to brag you did 190? Give me a break.  Top speed is coffee talk, who cares.  You bought the bike because it’s the best. The biggest problem with people riding the Busa is they want to test it.  To hell with testing it.  What exactly do you GAIN for taking this bike to the limits? NOTHING!!!! You could get seriously injured, or LOSE your life all for coffee talk or to prove you’re the top dog. How jackass is that.  Hey your choice, roll the dice and gamble I’d rather not take the chance. This bike is too much of a power wh#re.  Your no less of a rider if you ride your Busa like a wuss. Who cares it’s your bike!!!!  If you’re buying a Busa and can't afford to drop it, then you shouldn’t buy it. Seriously, if you buy anything and have to thinking about maintenance and/or repairs then you can't afford it. Anything that's the best is expensive to fix.  I'll be honest my Busa is going to be a trophy and I will probably ride it max 4 to 10 times a month, 20 miles per ride, for about 3 months a year.  I figured if I got a 600cc I'd ride that like a wuss, so why not buy the Busa and ride it like a wuss.  I doesn't matter how long you have been riding bikes you can go down just as easy as a novice.  Experienced riders go down more than likely because they tried something foolish or stupid.  Novice riders go down on these bikes more than likely because of fear.  People aren't born foolish or stupid it takes years of life long bad decisions.  Fear can be overcame in due time depending on your mentality, but hey most of the time when people overcome their fear they will start making foolish and or stupid decisions on their bike. Ask your self who you are, and what your about before making the decision on buying this bike or buying any bike for that matter. S**t happens to the best of us.
One thing I CAN say is, from reading your post it is pretty easy to tell your a novice....you've gotten it written all over you (pun intended)
wink.gif
One thing you can't replace with all the reasoning in the world is experience......if you've never raced on a race track, or flown a plane, or rebuilt an engine, ect all the reasoning you can muster isn't going to help you for squat when it actaully comes time to do it....cause' you have no ACTUAL experience doing it
wow.gif
If you have no clue what exactly's gonna happen when you twist the throttle on a bike like the Busa in diff conditions, then your gonna learn on the go...and you're gonna have no idea what to do until you're doing it....which coming from someone who thinks they're pretty rational (you), sounds very irrational
wow.gif
Either way if your old enough to afford the bike...and have the license/insurance, its your choice/life....you don't need to come here for approval you aint gonna get.......good luck.....I think yer' gonna need it
wink.gif

wow.gif

wink.gif

give the guy a break already.. hahah

he's not the first guy to buy a 'busa as a first bike.. and I'm sure he won't be the last.

he'll figure it allll out .. or.. well.. bad things can happen on any bike. The 'busa is not a cold blooded killer. It's actually.. IMO a better bike to start on.. than one of the liter bikes.. so It could be worse.

I think this is a wind up, or maybe he has a big life insurance policy and the person who will benefit from him is encouraging him to get a Busa to speed up a payout.

If he is for real,he should have a will made out before getting on the bike.

If he is for real,he should get a lot of training in first on smaller bikes before riding the busa, if not he definitely is a poser

I note that he said that he bought all the hayabusa safety gear to add to his posing.

Get real

give the guy a break already.. hahah

he's not the first guy to buy a 'busa as a first bike.. and I'm sure he won't be the last.

he'll figure it allll out .. or.. well.. bad things can happen on any bike.  The 'busa is not a cold blooded killer.  It's actually.. IMO a better bike to start on.. than one of the liter bikes.. so It could be worse.
Thanks ego, your right not the first, and definately not the last. it comes with the territory. hey, i exposed myself with this post. that's what i get. i think this post will deter any first time bike owner from posting about their first bike being a busa for a while at least. No one wants to get lashed out on, but i could care less. I love this site!!!!

I think this is a wind up, or maybe he has a big life insurance policy and the person who will benefit from him is encouraging him to get a Busa to speed up a payout.

If he is for real,he should have a will made out before getting on the bike.

If he is for real,he should get a lot of training in first on smaller bikes before riding the busa, if not he definitely is a poser

I note that he said that he bought all the hayabusa safety gear to add to his posing.

Get real
Oh stop w/ the posing stuff. Jeez, i'm sorry that i bought some great Suzuki Hayabusa gear to match my bike. lol.  Seriously, if you change the color of your bike more than likely you'll change your gear to match the bike. I don't think there is one way to do anything. Someone plotting for my demise to benfit on my life insurance, Oh dear LORD, STOP. Needing a will wrote to ride a bike that really won't be rode, STOP once more. Being a poser because I have matching gear, STOP for a 3rd time. Being a poser because I haven't rode on smaller bikes before the Busa, STOP for the 4th and last time. I wish you the best in all your future endeavors. Thank You for your input. GOD BLESS

<!--EDIT|chowan24
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114709642 -->

So your Busa's in the garage....What's the big deal!!!! Were talkin' $11K.  Whatever.  That's not any Real Money.  
Pretty arrogant of you newbie!

Some of us work years and years to save up for a dream bike like the BUSA, and here you are...  " That's not real money!"
Some people just do not deserve the luxury life's circumstances  throws at them!

guns.gif

newbie.gif
Your right Pop. Completely sorry for that statement. For anyone that it raged my apologies go out to all. I have to worked extremely hard in my short life of 28 yrs to be in the position I'm currently in. Again, apologies to the board.

so she's in the driveway begging to get rode, but i smacked her and told her i'm not ready yet. So she climbed back under the cover and went to sleep as I shouted wait until May 14th Damn it. I guess I told her. LOL!!!!

Be careful.. I have been riding for 2 years before I got my Busa. I used to own a Ducati Monster. You will make small mistakes... Rookie mistakes. Do u reall want to do rookie mistakes on a nice looking Busa? Take it slow and easy... You will eventually get it.
I ALMOST dropped my bike the first month attempting a tight turn into my driveway. Luckly I was fast enough to jump off the bike and hold her up as she was slowly tiping over on the right side. Good thing my neighbor was around and helped stand up before she hit the pavement. Busa is not a very light bike. I am 210 pounds and had a hell of a time trying to keep her from going down.

It was a close call!

Now.... I ride her hard and fast and she loves it!

ROYZGSX

So I got the Busa, and its great.  I took the beast up to a whopping 60mph. WHOOOO....The rear wheel went a little squirrely on me today because I gave her o much throttle, and I locked up the rear tire on a emergency stop, and again it went a little squirrely.. What a great learning experience.  The bike is oh so bad a$$!!!!

<!--EDIT|chowan24
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116163969 -->

Back