First Time Rider: First Bike Busa

nah, bball never had much pull to me.

I suck at it.. thats probably have the reason why..

I think some dude from close to here is playing at etsu now though.. something knuckles.. brad maybe.

Freshman last year i think.

Used to date a girl from newport news.. err. no wait.. her parents lived in va. beach and she was going to radford in christiansburg. sorry wrong city, so that was pointless...
rock.gif

I just put my deposit on a 2005 Busa Limited Edition yesterday. I can't wait. Should this be my first bike? YES!!!! Everything in life is about knowing your limits, being disciplined, and being responsible. Those are some of life’s guidelines. If you can't ride your Busa with that perspective then the Busa shouldn't be your 1st bike. Think about it anyone who buys the Busa knows the bike is a absolute power wh#re. Do you have to be the idiot to brag you did 190? Give me a break. Top speed is coffee talk, who cares. You bought the bike because it’s the best. The biggest problem with people riding the Busa is they want to test it. To hell with testing it. What exactly do you GAIN for taking this bike to the limits? NOTHING!!!! You could get seriously injured, or LOSE your life all for coffee talk or to prove you’re the top dog. How jackass is that. Hey your choice, roll the dice and gamble I’d rather not take the chance. This bike is too much of a power wh#re. Your no less of a rider if you ride your Busa like a wuss. Who cares it’s your bike!!!! If you’re buying a Busa and can't afford to drop it, then you shouldn’t buy it. Seriously, if you buy anything and have to thinking about maintenance and/or repairs then you can't afford it. Anything that's the best is expensive to fix. I'll be honest my Busa is going to be a trophy and I will probably ride it max 4 to 10 times a month, 20 miles per ride, for about 3 months a year. I figured if I got a 600cc I'd ride that like a wuss, so why not buy the Busa and ride it like a wuss. I doesn't matter how long you have been riding bikes you can go down just as easy as a novice. Experienced riders go down more than likely because they tried something foolish or stupid. Novice riders go down on these bikes more than likely because of fear. People aren't born foolish or stupid it takes years of life long bad decisions. Fear can be overcame in due time depending on your mentality, but hey most of the time when people overcome their fear they will start making foolish and or stupid decisions on their bike. Ask your self who you are, and what your about before making the decision on buying this bike or buying any bike for that matter. S**t happens to the best of us.
Dude, let me clarify something for you.

I just got my 05 busa. I never rode a busa before. BUT...

I have owned and ridden the zx-11 -fastest bike in the 90's, and the zx-12...most powerful bike currently. Even more powerful than the busa.

I know how to harness and control power on a bike obviously.

But the busa has me still uneasy when making a turn off a redlight in 2 turning lanes, because twice now, even with my experience, - I found the torque to be so much higher at that rpm during a turn where its tight, that I almost lost it.

TORQUE....not HP. Torque will #### you up if you arent used to dealing with all the decisions you make as a rider, in an instant when you need to concentrate on something other than the throttle, - that torque will put your bike down fast, and you may slide into a car.

Get it?

It aint about power, - its about that ungodly amount of Torque available just off idle.

I just put my deposit on a 2005 Busa Limited Edition yesterday.  I can't wait.  Should this be my first bike? YES!!!!  Everything in life is about knowing your limits, being disciplined, and being responsible.  Those are some of life’s guidelines.  If you can't ride your Busa with that perspective then the Busa shouldn't be your 1st bike. Think about it anyone who buys the Busa knows the bike is a absolute power wh#re.  Do you have to be the idiot to brag you did 190? Give me a break.  Top speed is coffee talk, who cares.  You bought the bike because it’s the best. The biggest problem with people riding the Busa is they want to test it.  To hell with testing it.  What exactly do you GAIN for taking this bike to the limits? NOTHING!!!! You could get seriously injured, or LOSE your life all for coffee talk or to prove you’re the top dog. How jackass is that.  Hey your choice, roll the dice and gamble I’d rather not take the chance. This bike is too much of a power wh#re.  Your no less of a rider if you ride your Busa like a wuss. Who cares it’s your bike!!!!  If you’re buying a Busa and can't afford to drop it, then you shouldn’t buy it. Seriously, if you buy anything and have to thinking about maintenance and/or repairs then you can't afford it. Anything that's the best is expensive to fix.  I'll be honest my Busa is going to be a trophy and I will probably ride it max 4 to 10 times a month, 20 miles per ride, for about 3 months a year.  I figured if I got a 600cc I'd ride that like a wuss, so why not buy the Busa and ride it like a wuss.  I doesn't matter how long you have been riding bikes you can go down just as easy as a novice.  Experienced riders go down more than likely because they tried something foolish or stupid.  Novice riders go down on these bikes more than likely because of fear.  People aren't born foolish or stupid it takes years of life long bad decisions.  Fear can be overcame in due time depending on your mentality, but hey most of the time when people overcome their fear they will start making foolish and or stupid decisions on their bike. Ask your self who you are, and what your about before making the decision on buying this bike or buying any bike for that matter. S**t happens to the best of us.
Dude, let me clarify something for you.

I just got my 05 busa.  I never rode a busa before.  BUT...

I have owned and ridden the zx-11 -fastest bike in the 90's, and the zx-12...most powerful bike currently.  Even more powerful than the busa.

I know how to harness and control power on a bike obviously.

But the busa has me still uneasy when making a turn off a redlight in 2 turning lanes, because twice now, even with my experience, - I found the torque to be so much higher at that rpm during a turn where its tight, that I almost lost it.

TORQUE....not HP.  Torque will #### you up if you arent used to dealing with all the decisions you make as a rider, in an instant when you need to concentrate on something other than the throttle, - that torque will put your bike down fast, and you may slide into a car.

Get it?

It aint about power, - its about that ungodly amount of Torque available just off idle.
I dearly respect what you are saying. I'm going to take my time and hopefully in the time I take, I don't get hurt or hurt anyone.

have ya got it yet??

I can't wait to hear a biker newbs impressions of a hayabusa..   or atleast your impressions after ya ride it a bit and really nail the throttle up to about 9,000 rpms.   Whole different world man..  I almost pee'd myself I was so excited.

all in good fun... but if it's anything other than

"HOLY EFFIN' SHEEEET BATMAN!"

i'm gonna be suprised.

<!--EDIT|pure_ego
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114059325 -->

have ya got it yet??

I can't wait to rear a biker newbs impressions of a hayabusa..   or atleast your impressions after ya ride it a bit and really nail the throttle up to about 9,000 rpms.   Whole different world man..  I almost pee'd myself I was so excited.

all in good fun... but if it's anything other than

"HOLY EFFIN' SHEEEET BATMAN!"

i'm gonna be suprised.
Still don't have it and still waiting.  I tell you if i didn't have extreme patience I would have just bought a red one.  This LE stuff is killing me.  Ego you will be the first to know the experience. I'll PM you.  Hell, I'll send you the first pic

<!--EDIT|chowan24
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113777550 -->

hey all. my wife took the safety class, passed and got her license.
i got her a ninja 250. she scares the HELL outa me when she rides it. she STILL after maybe 20 hours of seat time has to tell herself to , let off throttle, pull in clutch, shift, let out throttle, give it throttle.
dudes, when u have to think about doing those things, you are not thinking about whats gonna kill you out there, and that is your surroundings, riding a motorcycle is all about ASSUMING.
assume that that car is gonna turn in front of you, assume that that car doesn't see you and will pull out in front of you. always assume and always know where every car is around you. ALWAYS have an out.
braking to avoid will most likely kill you one day. you have to learn to move
the only way to learn that is get some seat time.
sure is easy to panic and grab some throttle when someone is about to take u out, better on something small and light then big and crazy fast, that will loop the bike before you know it.
why not start small, you will be less inclined to race that mustang thats challenging you at the light, and possibly killing yourself than say on a busa?
just my observations and opinions
later

hehe, spoken like a true non-rider.

You may become a rider if you survive long enough, but I doubt it.  Sound like a pure out poser, which is fine if thats what you wanna be.   Just pointing out whatever everybody else is thinking and not saying because this is a friendly board.

That being said.. enjoy the new ride, and post some pics!
Non-Rider? What does that mean? Oh maybe it means in order to be labeled a rider you have to do stupid crap on your bike. Oh I get it now.  People who obey the speed limit on their busa's are posers, and those who do 30 over the limit,and skip through traffic are the real Busa riders. You couldn't be serious. That's just ignorant.  Before you posted that you should have said it out loud and just maybe you might have thought twice. In your case I hope I don't become a "RIDER".  The DMV should read these boards and find out who some of these people are, and take their license.
Actually all it means is you are a non-rider until you gt on the bike.

Welcome stay safe, glad to hear you are taking training courses.
Thanks. my course is May 14,15.  The bike will be here before my course probably so i'm having my dad pick up the bike.  I don't care about him driving it first, I get to drive his 2005 Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet back!!!! WOW
Maybe your college basketball career will help you drive your Daddy's Porsche too....
iamwithstupid.gif

<!--EDIT|Mr Brown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114017743 -->

hehe, spoken like a true non-rider.

You may become a rider if you survive long enough, but I doubt it.  Sound like a pure out poser, which is fine if thats what you wanna be.   Just pointing out whatever everybody else is thinking and not saying because this is a friendly board.

That being said.. enjoy the new ride, and post some pics!
Non-Rider? What does that mean? Oh maybe it means in order to be labeled a rider you have to do stupid crap on your bike. Oh I get it now.  People who obey the speed limit on their busa's are posers, and those who do 30 over the limit,and skip through traffic are the real Busa riders. You couldn't be serious. That's just ignorant.  Before you posted that you should have said it out loud and just maybe you might have thought twice. In your case I hope I don't become a "RIDER".  The DMV should read these boards and find out who some of these people are, and take their license.
Actually all it means is you are a non-rider until you gt on the bike.

Welcome stay safe, glad to hear you are taking training courses.
Thanks. my course is May 14,15.  The bike will be here before my course probably so i'm having my dad pick up the bike.  I don't care about him driving it first, I get to drive his 2005 Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet back!!!! WOW
Maybe your college basketball career will help you drive your Daddy's Porsche too....
iamwithstupid.gif
Maybe your a hater. Whatever Fam ride on. Your silly. I'll holla

Maybe your a hater.  Whatever Fam ride on.  Your silly. I'll holla
Man, you wanna-be slang, talking suburban kids kill me. Good luck impressing your "patna's" in your "hood" dawg! I'm sure you'll be the envy of all the other "homies"
ices_rofl.gif
I'm not a hater, what do you have for me to hate? Your soon-to-be-Busa? Mine's in the garage. Your Dad's car? It's your Dad's. I, like most others answered your post about the Busa being a good choice for a first bike. I still don't think it's a good idea. Never will. You do as you see fit, just be careful. it ain't worth getting hurt or worse just to prove a point. Sh!t happens waaaay faster on a Busa than any other bike. It can be deceptive, make you think you're the boss. She'll take her respect from you, either the easy way(you give it to her) or the hard way (you wondering wtf happened) I posted my thoughts because you asked for opinions, not to get in an argument with you. Be careful, that's all I'm sayin.

Man, you wanna-be slang, talking suburban kids kill me. Good luck impressing your "patna's" in your "hood" dawg! I'm sure you'll be the envy of all the other "homies"
ices_rofl.gif
I'm not a hater, what do you have for me to hate? Your soon-to-be-Busa? Mine's in the garage. Your Dad's car? It's your Dad's. I, like most others answered your post about the Busa being a good choice for a first bike. I still don't think it's a good idea. Never will. You do as you see fit, just be careful. it ain't worth getting hurt or worse just to prove a point. Sh!t happens waaaay faster on a Busa than any other bike. It can be deceptive, make you think you're the boss. She'll take her respect from you, either the easy way(you give it to her) or the hard way (you wondering wtf happened) I posted my thoughts because you asked for opinions, not to get in an argument with you. Be careful, that's all I'm sayin.
First, I'm not your wannabe suburban kid. Second, I don't have a group of homies. I'm not your stereotypical black kid. Yeah I played college ball "FAM", and I have a Degree "My Man" I'm Strictly Professional "DAWG". A Career not a Job. You came at me with a lame post. This post is about First time rider, First bike Busa. You thought you were funny w/ my basketball career, and my dads car. You call me the kid. Wow. So your Busa's in the garage....What's the big deal!!!! Were talkin' $11K. Whatever. That's not any Real Money. The sad part of your post is of everything that has been written on this post the thing that made you put your hands on the keyboard was my basketball career, and my dad's car. Not the bike, but a joke to make your self feel good. Evaluate yourself before you come at me again.

ices_rofl.gif
First, I'm not your wannabe suburban kid. Second, I don't have a group of homies. I'm not your stereotypical black kid. Yeah I played college ball "FAM", and I have a Degree "My Man" I'm Strictly Professional "DAWG". A Career not a Job. You came at me with a lame post. This post is about First time rider, First bike Busa. You thought you were funny w/ my basketball career, and my dads car.  You call me the kid. Wow. So your Busa's in the garage....What's the big deal!!!! Were talkin' $11K.  Whatever.  That's not any Real Money.  The sad part of your post is of everything that has been written on this post the thing that made you put your hands on the keyboard was my basketball career, and my dad's car.  Not the bike, but a joke to make your self feel good. Evaluate yourself before you come at me again.
If you took the time to read my first post to you, you would have seen that I wasn't making any jokes at all. I don't feel the need to make fun of anyone to elevate myself.I think you are a wanna-be suburban kid. I didn't say you were a stereotypical black kid, I just thought your use of slang was funny. I don't care if you played college ball, have a degree and a career or not. None of those things are relevant to the topic. I came at you with a lame post? You post up jumping to all types of conclusions about why some people can't handle a Busa, why riders fall etc. Then you proceed to explain why those factors will not apply to you. You base this on no experience at all, on any kind of bike let alone a Busa, and then argue, citing some nonsense about college basketball, when those of us with experience tried to caution you. You seem awfully touchy that I referred to you as a "kid". You bragged on what kind of car your Dad drives, who else but a kid would do that? You make a reference to me not having "Real Money". How do you figure you know what I'm worth? Is it because I don't talk about what I do or don't have in cyberspace? Be for real. You don't know anything about me, so act accordingly. I based my comments on information YOU volunteered about yourself, and the way you presented yourself. I don't give a fu#k about what you got, what you did, or how you live. I got better things to worry about than what you ride or how you ride it. Know this: If you post up like a little punk kid, acting like you know it all, and you don't make mistakes, you will be dismissed as such. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you are the only one that frequents this board with an education, a career and disposable income. When you've got a mortgage, car payments, and a familly who depends on you on your back, and can still afford toys, then come holla. I'm not gonna argue further, because there's no point. Do your thing.

ices_rofl.gif
First, I'm not your wannabe suburban kid. Second, I don't have a group of homies. I'm not your stereotypical black kid. Yeah I played college ball "FAM", and I have a Degree "My Man" I'm Strictly Professional "DAWG". A Career not a Job. You came at me with a lame post. This post is about First time rider, First bike Busa. You thought you were funny w/ my basketball career, and my dads car.  You call me the kid. Wow. So your Busa's in the garage....What's the big deal!!!! Were talkin' $11K.  Whatever.  That's not any Real Money.  The sad part of your post is of everything that has been written on this post the thing that made you put your hands on the keyboard was my basketball career, and my dad's car.  Not the bike, but a joke to make your self feel good. Evaluate yourself before you come at me again.
If you took the time to read my first post to you, you would have seen that I wasn't making any jokes at all. I don't feel the need to make fun of anyone to elevate myself.I think you are a wanna-be suburban kid. I didn't say you were a stereotypical black kid, I just thought your use of slang was funny. I don't care if you played college ball, have a degree and a career or not. None of those things are relevant to the topic. I came at you with a lame post? You post up jumping to all types of conclusions about why some people can't handle a Busa, why riders fall etc. Then you proceed to explain why those factors will not apply to you. You base this on no experience at all, on any kind of bike let alone a Busa, and then argue, citing some nonsense about college basketball, when those of us with experience tried to caution you. You seem awfully touchy that I referred to you as a "kid". You bragged on what kind of car your Dad drives, who else but a kid would do that? You make a reference to me not having "Real Money". How do you figure you know what I'm worth? Is it because I don't talk about what I do or don't have in cyberspace? Be for real. You don't know anything about me, so act accordingly. I based my comments on information YOU volunteered about yourself, and the way you presented yourself. I don't give a fu#k about what you got, what you did, or how you live. I got better things to worry about than what you ride or how you ride it. Know this: If you post up like a little punk kid, acting like you know it all, and you don't make mistakes, you will be dismissed as such. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you are the only one that frequents this board with an education, a career and disposable income. When you've got a mortgage, car payments, and a  familly who depends on you on your back, and can still afford toys, then come holla. I'm not gonna argue further, because there's no point.  Do your thing.
I'm done. We are acting like 2 school girls. I appreciate your view. Good luck in any of your future ventures.

Well now boys and girls now that that has been settled, I just logged my 2000 mile as a "Busa as a first time bike owner", I had the bike for 3 weeks before weather permitted me to ride it. During this time I had found the greatest message board on the net being right here, (you guys rock!). But anyway you all had me scared to death to even sit on the thing, I got familiar with her on the country roads near my house. Dealt with all the salt, sand and gravel on the roads from winter had to use alot of caution but never the less a good experience. mainly commuting 18 miles to work into the city, not too bad. I know this doesn't gain much respect but after logging some 20,000 miles on a bicycle through many major metro areas around the country, NYC, DC, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Columbus and so on I have developed a very defensive attitude towards traffic. keeping a close eye on every vehicle around and expecting the ones I can't always see. You see cagers think it's just a bicycle, but 30+ mph on a 15mm tire and no protective gear beyond gloves and a helmet can kill you! More bicyclist die in my area than motorcyclists. I hope I never get 110% confident because I expect that's when you get bit. Everyone I hear speaking of accidents always says "I have been riding for years and I still crashed". i would like to see a poll sometime of the scale of years when everyone crashed. If time of experience or bike style was all there was to it then Non Busa owners and would never crash and everybody would go down on the first day. I ride with caution, respect the power and anticipate the unseen. I may go down someday due to my own or someone elses negligence but enough already of how the Busa is a bad choice for a first bike. Did you all start out driving Yugos as a first car? If it's in your hearts desire to own a Busa and you've got the dough go for it. Respect it and respect others around you, don't come off as some half baked punk who owns the fastest bike on the planet. Just ride.

Well now boys and girls now that that has been settled, I just logged my 2000 mile as a "Busa as a first time bike owner", I had the bike for 3 weeks before weather permitted me to ride it.  During this time I had found the greatest message board on the net being right here, (you guys rock!).  But anyway you all had me scared to death to even sit on the thing, I got familiar with her on the country roads near my house.  Dealt with all the salt, sand and gravel on the roads from winter had to use alot of caution but never the less a good experience.  mainly commuting 18 miles to work into the city, not too bad.  I know this doesn't gain much respect but after logging some 20,000 miles on a bicycle through many major metro areas around the country, NYC, DC, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Columbus and so on I have developed a very defensive attitude towards traffic.  keeping a close eye on every vehicle around and expecting the ones I can't always see.  You see cagers think it's just a bicycle, but 30+ mph on a 15mm tire and no protective gear beyond gloves and a helmet can kill you!  More bicyclist die in my area than motorcyclists.  I hope I never get 110% confident because I expect that's when you get bit.  Everyone I hear speaking of accidents always says "I have been riding for years and I still crashed".  i would like to see a poll sometime of the scale of years when everyone crashed.  If time of experience or bike style was all there was to it then Non Busa owners and would never crash and everybody would go down on the first day.  I ride with caution, respect the power and anticipate the unseen.  I may go down someday due to my own or someone elses negligence but enough already of how the Busa is a bad choice for a first bike.  Did you all start out driving Yugos as a first car?  If it's in your hearts desire to own a Busa and you've got the dough go for it.  Respect it and respect others around you, don't come off as some half baked punk who owns the fastest bike on the planet.  Just ride.
I agree totally. Respect is important. I truelly am more excited about getting the bike than riding it. Sounds crazy, but true. I just wanted it, so i'm getting it. I truly wonder if I'll ever ride the damn thing to be honest. We'll see when it comes.

So your Busa's in the garage....What's the big deal!!!! Were talkin' $11K.  Whatever.  That's not any Real Money.  
Pretty arrogant of you newbie!

Some of us work years and years to save up for a dream bike like the BUSA, and here you are... " That's not real money!"
Some people just do not deserve the luxury life's circumstances throws at them!

guns.gif
newbie.gif

Well now boys and girls now that that has been settled, I just logged my 2000 mile as a "Busa as a first time bike owner", I had the bike for 3 weeks before weather permitted me to ride it.  During this time I had found the greatest message board on the net being right here, (you guys rock!).  But anyway you all had me scared to death to even sit on the thing, I got familiar with her on the country roads near my house.  Dealt with all the salt, sand and gravel on the roads from winter had to use alot of caution but never the less a good experience.  mainly commuting 18 miles to work into the city, not too bad.  I know this doesn't gain much respect but after logging some 20,000 miles on a bicycle through many major metro areas around the country, NYC, DC, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Columbus and so on I have developed a very defensive attitude towards traffic.  keeping a close eye on every vehicle around and expecting the ones I can't always see.  You see cagers think it's just a bicycle, but 30+ mph on a 15mm tire and no protective gear beyond gloves and a helmet can kill you!  More bicyclist die in my area than motorcyclists.  I hope I never get 110% confident because I expect that's when you get bit.  Everyone I hear speaking of accidents always says "I have been riding for years and I still crashed".  i would like to see a poll sometime of the scale of years when everyone crashed.  If time of experience or bike style was all there was to it then Non Busa owners and would never crash and everybody would go down on the first day.  I ride with caution, respect the power and anticipate the unseen.  I may go down someday due to my own or someone elses negligence but enough already of how the Busa is a bad choice for a first bike.  Did you all start out driving Yugos as a first car?  If it's in your hearts desire to own a Busa and you've got the dough go for it.  Respect it and respect others around you, don't come off as some half baked punk who owns the fastest bike on the planet.  Just ride.
I agree totally. Respect is important.  I truelly am more excited about getting the bike than riding it.  Sounds crazy, but true. I just wanted it, so i'm getting it.  I truly wonder if I'll ever ride the damn thing to be honest.  We'll see when it comes.
There is a fundamental aspect of this whole topic that both of you guys are either not aware of or choose to omit from the perspective you have shared here.

What I am referring to is possessing the basic skills to a proficient level that you can react to unforeseen dangers, such as a rock falling into your path, a car pulling out of a driveway, blowing a tire in the middle of a corner, or one of many many other possible perils. While it is true that you would not have the abilities to quickly react on a smaller bike for quite some time, your likelihood of success, should you encounter such a situation, is nearly nil on any high performance bike.

Putting all the squid-like behavior (wheelies, stunting, breaking the sound barrier, etc.) aside and operating from a premise that you are riding in a proactive fashion, you are still facing the challenge of mass management. For a motorcycle, mass management equates to the ability to accurately manage the mass of your bike and you. The force, timing, and necessity for smoothness when trying to shift this mass, in a controlled fashion, to avoid another object, or to stop this mass at maximum efficient braking, or a combination of the two, is multiplied in a non-linear fashion as the weight of the mass increases.

Obviously anyone can choose to go out and buy any bike they see fit and proceed to teach themselves how to ride it. This has happened countless times and will so for as long as they make bikes. The problem is that as the mass of the bike increase, the likelihood of success diminishes.

You mentioned awaiting a training course, I am assuming that this is a course that follows the MSF curriculum. Their courses are outstanding and definitely a good start for you. Please understand though, that the basic course will not teach you all the skills that you need to operate a high performance bike. To acquire those skills you need to look at MSF experienced rider courses and/or several of the advanced rider courses taught throughout the country.

There is the argument that Sikorsky taught himself how to safely fly the first helicopter and that a motorcycle is far less complex than any helicopter. That fact is indeed true, however, Sikorsky crashed a total of nine helicopters and killed an employee in the process of teaching himself how to fly a helicopter.

In closing, I would like to impart one last point. Please understand that nearly all of the people who you see posting on this board are truly good people. They truly do care about others and have shown that many times in many threads on this board. Most of the people here tend to be more mature, many being parents. The nurturing part tends to spill out a lot easier for anyone who has been a parent. If you venture onto other sites you will see a very different make-up of the people who post there.

OK; Time to get off the Soap-Box, my feet are tired.

Good luck and welcome to the board, and don’t be a tight-ass when it comes outfitting yourself with protective equipment. Whether or not it has Hayabusa written all over it….

Back