need help with buying a bike

hyetexa2001

Registered
HI im 17 and i want to get a bike that is safe at first i wanted to get a busa but then i thought that it just might be too dangerous for me so i want an opinion from somebody about what bike they think i should get i am not the type of person that would go crazy on a bike and i will drive very safely i would really appreciate if somebody could help thank u

OK.....

1. Any motorcycle can be dangerous. The busa will just get you there (in danger) faster.

2. Do not get a busa...yet. At 17yrs old, the insurance alone will cost a small fortune.

3. Take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) riders course.

4. Start with a 500-750. Good choice would be a used one, because odds are you will drop it atleast once. Better to drop a beater then scratch up a new ride.

5. Make/model you decide....find one you like thats fits "you" and feels comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Jay

I agree with FNJ! It's not that the 'Busa is more dangerous than others because all bikes are dangerous. Take the MSF course, find something smaller that fits you and ride as much as you can. Insurance will be much more affordable on something used and if you drop it, then you drop it! Welcome to the board and good luck with your decision. Whatever you get it will be an amazing ride!

thanks for the advice about getting a used bike because im new and i cant ride really well yet and i might drop it
but ill get the hang of it thanks alot

<!--EDIT|hyetexa2001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088283353 -->

Most important!!!!!!!!! Take the Rider Safety Course...
firedevil.gif

It can literally save your life.
firedevil.gif

1-800-CC-Rider (might just be a CA #)

firedevil.gif

I think the busa is way too much for a first bike, not only cuz the power is enough to jump up and bite you in the ass, but its almost 475 pounds, and although it may never happen , you can get a bit overwhelmed with just jockeying it around in slow situations. My father bought me my first bike when i was 7, on old suzuki 125. He laid it down in the garage on some towels and blankets and told me that when I could pick that bike up off the ground, he would let me ride it .. It took me a week or so to figure out how to get that thing up off the ground and keep it standing up.
I know its a big bike but if something happens and it tips over on you, your going to want to be able to pick it up and get yourself situated if no one is around.. good luck on your choice but I would say that a busa is a little more bike than your ready for as a number 1 bike... keep us updated and dont be afraid to ask questions when you get your new one...

If this is your first bike than the Hayabusa is out of the question.  You may read where people had it as their first bike and did fine.  However, it's still not a smart move and, at 17, just don't do it.

Unfortunately, there is this little learning curve you're going to need to go through during which you'll need a safe bike like:

GSF500F $4995 http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GS500FK4/Default.aspx

A safe bike is one that is less likely to get you injured when you make all the mistakes you are going to make while you learn.   On a 500, a little too much throttle in a turn means you get a bit scared.  On a busa, it may mean you are launching yourself into an embankment.  On a 500, a little too fast into stopped traffic means stopping kind of hard.  On a busa, it may mean extremely too fast into stopped traffic, locking up the wheels, and going for a slide down the pavement.

There's other simple coordination mistakes: Shifting down when you meant to shift up, letting the clutch out by accident, slipping when you put your foot down, not seeing something in the road or parking lot til the last second, etc. Too big a bike could mean these little mess-ups result in you hitting the pavement.

You'll probably outgrow an entry level bike in a year.  But, save your money because once you start riding you'll figure out what you really want, 600cc-1300cc.  You may find you want something like the GSXR750.  That's a great bike.  Regardless, the first year should be about learning and climbing off the bike healthy.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090000574 -->

Back