thinking of getting a busa as a first bike.....

get a harley in stead.
banghead.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
get a harley in stead.[/quote]

whats a harley???

How old are you? I may have missed it if you mentioned your age, but my first thought for new riders are insurance costs and the cost of fixing a dropped bike. Insurance costs are a killer for many younger riders, especially on the larger sport bikes. Do not even consider getting a bike and not having full coverage.
smile.gif

I'm not against people learning to ride on the Busa. I learned on the smallest Harley and my Busa weighs the same, so just because the Busa is "king" in the sport bike realm doesn't mean it's the biggest bike around. It's a great handling bike if you respect it and in all honestly, if the maturity level is there and the testosterone levels stay in check, the gear in place and hopefully an MSF course under your belt, you could become a very responsible rider...

im 30...have seen lots and im level headed enuff to understand the respect i should have for the bike....

i wouldnt dream of getting it w/o some formal training, i just wont have the funds to get a smaller bike then take the time to sell it and buy the busa.

On the other side, if you want to learn, enjoy and extract some potential from the bike, going the other way around is probably the thing to do. This is not only common sense, but common training approach: progression from small, to medium, to large capacity; getting to know the riding theory; riding a lot; getting formal training (MSF or whatever) and even getting track time.

I am in the training business (not bikes
coolold.gif
) and if you want your operator training to be effective and safe, and spend the least money in doing so, you never throw them on the full performance equipment -even if you can afford it.
+100000000000000 On what By Insain said. There is no professional training environment where the inexperienced are given the most uptodate advanced equipment.

If you didnt know about the sticky threads, this topic has beaten hard..
deadhorse.gif
Read all of the other threads. If you did know about the threads and you asked anyway, you probably have already decided to buy the busa.

Given this assumption and the new info re the corporate discount (because that is the only new bit of info that hasnt been stated before now), use $2000 to buy a beater bike. Put the busa in the garage and dont touch it. Ride the beater bike EVERY F'ING DAY RAIN OR SHINE. Take an MSF class, ride the piss out of it and learn from all of the mistakes that you are guaranteed to make (short of killing yourself). Sell the bike for exactly what you paid for it six months later. Open garage, get on busa. Enjoy a great bike with you newly aquired skills and confidence.

No money lost. No skin lost. No life lost.

Or you can "respect" the bike and be scared of it for far too long... untill you get complacent... until an "ohh shid" pucker moment arises and you tap into the skills that you were never able to develop on the discounted bike that you so eagerly needed to buy.

the reason i am considering a busa is the fact that i am able to get a huge savings off the price, to the tune of $5000, a good family friend works for suzuki corporate.
Any chance you can get me in on that deal?

biggrin.gif

Seriously, if you've never ridden any motorcycle before, I would suggest you get a used gs500f and park, the busa until you have some experience under your belt.

--Wag--

i realize form most of the responses here that the bike is definitely not a starter bike, shoot, im hoping to be able to swim by just jumping in the deep end.  the reason i am considering a busa is the fact that i am able to get a huge savings off the price, to the tune of $5000, a good family friend works for suzuki corporate.

im not hoping to be evil kenevil right off the bat and i definitely want to learn to ride properly...i think i am mature enuff, speed is not necessarily an issue for me, i just fell in love with this bike, especially since i can get away with stealing it from a dealer, literally....LOL
Take the MSF course and go buy the busa.

the reason i am considering a busa is the fact that i am able to get a huge savings off the price, to the tune of $5000, a good family friend works for suzuki corporate.
Any chance you can get me in on that deal?

biggrin.gif

Seriously, if you've never ridden any motorcycle before, I would suggest you get a used gs500f and park, the busa until you have some experience under your belt.

--Wag--
+2, Buy and park the Busa and with the saving you can buy a cheap azz bike to learn.

I think a Hayabusa is a bad choice for a new bike for a person with little or no riding skills and a hugh gap in riding time.A Hayabusa is a graduation present for many years of riding far less capable bikes. I would start out on a used lower displacement bike like a 500-600 cc bike and buy a slightly more powerful bike as your skills progress and only then if you don't bin the current one. Skills take time to learn.ThrEe of my friends and fellow employees got killed on 600cc sport bikes because they wern't ready for them.They left behind wives and young children to fend for themselves.That is my opinion but what do I know.

I think a Hayabusa is a bad choice for a new bike for a person with little or no riding skills and a hugh gap in riding time.
The 2007 busa was my bike in over 10 years. I had 5 bikes previously, but still the huge gap in riding time.

Cages create more drama for me than the horsepower does. The busa responds and handles which IMO makes it safer.

thanks alot for all the responses, just want to let you know that i am taking all of it in...
there are very valid points for both sides, more so for starting off a little smaller...
this is why i was happy i found this site, your advice is really invaluable to me...

just so you all are aware...i did not see the other threads on this until after i posted....by that time there had been many responses and i appreciate that...
i have taken the time to read through a few of the numerous pages already written on this topic...

i can see i have some serious thinking to do before i make a committment to the bike...
im definitely going to keep reading up and loking to you all for advice. i will be sure to update u all on what decision i come to...
i'll be honest, i really want to get this bike and get on it asap..
good thing i think with my brain....LOL

If you're that set on getting the Busa and can get it for $5000 take Wag advice. You can snag a cheap smaller bike for less than $1500, still wind up paying a couple of grand less than buying a new Busa. If you find out while your practicing riding on the smaller bike and develope enough skill to ride the Busa you don't like it or feel its to much bike, you can sell easily for a grand more than what you purchased it for.

Hell, if you don't want it then pass the saving to me!
thumb_up.gif

Good luck on whatever you decide!!!!

im really leaning twards getting the bike and parking it while i get some rideing time on a smaller bike....

You know your going to get it so get it already.
laugh.gif

I know as well as EVERY other member does you will not leave the Busa parked and go ride a 600. If there is a Busa in the garage it is getting ridden.
race.gif

Back