Bst Carbon Fiber Wheels For Gen Ii

Wow with the price of those that makes my stomach upset and I didn't even buy them. I hear how they are amazing on what they do for handling. But are they made for the roads? Or are these made for the track.
In the UK they are homologated for the road Matthew and like the supplier said, the main rim wasn't effected hence the tire not deflating.
Hasn't put me off them tho hence the new one ordered but I will try and avoid potholes in future and if not pull over straight away for a check over.

Holy shid! I've been offline from moving and just got online. WOW! I don't like that! Glad your OK. Keep us posted as I want to know what BST does for this issue. A pot hole every now and then is life on the road and expected IMHO.

Me and my big mouth......:( went out on Sunday and hit quite a shallow pothole while cranked over going round a roundabout, didn't think too much about it at the time. Had a race with a BMW 1000 RR and out dragged it and out top speeded it, much to his surprise lol. Got home feeling pretty good, started cleaning her then noticed the front wheel....wtf I thought, had a closer look and the outer layer had de laminated from the inner wheel. OMG, hitting the pothole had obviously caused it but because the inner wheel hadn't been affected the tire didn't deflate...luckily. The moral of the story is hit a pothole (or anything) with Carbon wheels on and stop immediately and check it out. Now, my dilemma is, do I post this as a separate thread to bring it to the attention of people with BST's on or hope they catch it on this thread.

View attachment 1573548

View attachment 1573549

View attachment 1573550

I've wanted a set of BST CF wheels for a long time but just couldn't overcome the price. Now I can afford them but where I live potholes are a way of life........ I do my best to avoid them but I still seem to find more than my fair share.

Holy shid! I've been offline from moving and just got online. WOW! I don't like that! Glad your OK. Keep us posted as I want to know what BST does for this issue. A pot hole every now and then is life on the road and expected IMHO.

Hi Skywalker, the supplier said that hitting a pothole with a sharp edge would damage any wheel regardless of what it was made of and said it showed the integrity of the BST's that it didn't deflate but they have agreed to supply me with a replacement at cost which I have accepted.

Great news. Glad they are going to make it up. I hate to hit a pot hole and keep a sharp eye out. It happens and my OE's have never had damage from it. Its fair to say the BST will have damage before a CF does. I love mine and have no regrets. Thanks for the update.

Hi Skywalker, the supplier said that hitting a pothole with a sharp edge would damage any wheel regardless of what it was made of and said it showed the integrity of the BST's that it didn't deflate but they have agreed to supply me with a replacement at cost which I have accepted.

Update : Having removed the tire to replace the wheel I discovered a hairline crack on the rim which explained why 5 days later the tire had deflated.

Here is a copy of the email I have sent to BST and I will post their response when I receive it.

Hi, I have been using BST Carbon wheels since 2005 on a succession of Suzuki Sports bikes (GSXR 1000's) without a problem, however last weekend on my Hayabusa I hit a shallow (30mm deep) pothole on a roundabout at around 30 mph. I never gave it much thought tbh but when I got home after my ride out I discovered that there had been some delaminating of the carbon fibre although the tyre hadn't deflated. However taking the tire off to replace the wheel revealed a crack on the rim and by this time the tire had deflated fully. I'm not interested in claiming or anything but I am concerned obviously about the safety aspect of these wheels as I feel an aluminium wheel wouldn't have had such damage from a relatively minor impact. I can supply photos of the wheel or I am prepared to ship it to you (at your cost obviously) for inspection. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Hope this turns out positive as this is an expensive item for me.

Update : Having removed the tire to replace the wheel I discovered a hairline crack on the rim which explained why 5 days later the tire had deflated.

Here is a copy of the email I have sent to BST and I will post their response when I receive it.

Hi, I have been using BST Carbon wheels since 2005 on a succession of Suzuki Sports bikes (GSXR 1000's) without a problem, however last weekend on my Hayabusa I hit a shallow (30mm deep) pothole on a roundabout at around 30 mph. I never gave it much thought tbh but when I got home after my ride out I discovered that there had been some delaminating of the carbon fibre although the tyre hadn't deflated. However taking the tire off to replace the wheel revealed a crack on the rim and by this time the tire had deflated fully. I'm not interested in claiming or anything but I am concerned obviously about the safety aspect of these wheels as I feel an aluminium wheel wouldn't have had such damage from a relatively minor impact. I can supply photos of the wheel or I am prepared to ship it to you (at your cost obviously) for inspection. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Well my .02 cents. At that PRICE, if they won't warrant the wheels for 2 years for any damage, any place, except dropping the bike from loading on a pickup, nope not me, not at $4K a set. Well, you were leaning, well you were this that, BS.

Heya ever came about from this situation???
Not a thing, I emailed them in August '17 and didn't get a reply so going to try once more and if no resolution I'm going to contact the UK Ministry Of Transport to get them to look into whether these wheels should be approved for road use (I'm going to put that in the email to BST as well)

Not a thing, I emailed them in August '17 and didn't get a reply so going to try once more and if no resolution I'm going to contact the UK Ministry Of Transport to get them to look into whether these wheels should be approved for road use (I'm going to put that in the email to BST as well)

Email from BST yesterday 27th Sept 2017

Thank you for getting in touch, upon receiving your email, serial numbers and photos in June I forwarded it onto Giles and Ben from HPS (our distributor in the UK) from whom you bought your wheels and I know that they have been in contact with you and confirmed that a replacement wheel was ordered.

We are very confident in HPS’s ability to deal with the situation and I am positive that Giles and Ben have discussed the safety aspects with you and trust that you have already received your replacement wheel.

My response
Hi Charmaine and yes I did get a replacement wheel (at a the cost price of approx £800.00) but the reason I contacted you was that I'm more concerned about the safety aspects of the BST wheels on UK roads especially with having so many potholes here.
As I explained I was going round a busy motorway roundabout so at a low speed when I hit the shallow pothole and didn't realise the damage that had been caused until I got home and was cleaning the bike.
If a shallow pothole and low speed caused so much damage I dread to think what would have happened had I hit a deeper pothole at a higher speed, the result could have been catastrophic.
I'm so concerned that I am considering contacting the Ministry of Transport here to have Carbon wheels (not just yours) properly tested for suitability on UK roads.

BST's reply this morning 28th Sept 2017.
In answer to your concerns for safety BST wheels are the most rigorously tested carbon wheels in the world and they meet and exceed the test criteria which are applied to aluminium and any other metal / alloy wheels. Testing is done as per the JWL impact standards and applicable to rotational, torsional and cornering tests. It may help you to know that we are able to do all of these tests on a single wheel, while the law allows for 1 wheel per test. It’s impossible to say what actually happened to your wheel. There are many instances that have proven the strength of our wheels.

My reply this morning.
Thank you for your reply.
I'm sure they are rigorously tested but if you look at various bike forums around the world there are many instances of failure so I'm still concerned, so I will be approaching the UK ministry of Transport about them with the pictures of my wheel.

My next step is to indeed approach the UK Ministry of Transport in the near future so we will see what, if anything, comes of that. I will as always keep you posted.
Here's a reminder of the damage caused to the wheel.
20170618_190303.jpg

I appreciate all this info and all that you have done. They also should give you the replacement wheel for free... These wheels look great but I'm actually worried about this.

I appreciate all this info and all that you have done. They also should give you the replacement wheel for free... These wheels look great but I'm actually worried about this.

I'm worried too Skywalker and I shouldn't have to be worried about a $4000 pair of wheels disintegrating if I hit a pothole or a bump in the road should I and as much as I'm on the lookout for potholes, sometimes, with the speeds I ride, it's not always possible to avoid them (and please anyone, don't tell me to ride within my visual limits, potholes are difficult to see at the best of times :)) .

I'm worried too Skywalker and I shouldn't have to be worried about a $4000 pair of wheels disintegrating if I hit a pothole or a bump in the road should I and as much as I'm on the lookout for potholes, sometimes, with the speeds I ride, it's not always possible to avoid them (and please anyone, don't tell me to ride within my visual limits, potholes are difficult to see at the best of times :)) .
Maybe you need to speed up a little you know at high speeds you’ll just glide over those potholes.

Here in Colorado Springs as well as Peyton Colorado we do have some nice roads but there is some shitty ones as well. I've had my Gen I at 176 mph on a two lane. Stupid maybe but at 57 I still run her up every once in a while. I'd had to go out from a damn $4000 set of wheels failing. I'll just do my best to keep the rubber side down and try not to be paranoid. Keep us updated!

This is crazy. To be honest my considerable gut (lol) has always told me 2 things: A) CF is difficult to get consistent and B) anything stiffer is more likely to crack. This has always stopped me when I was almost ready to pull the trigger on some. I hope this all works out because this is a great performance add to the bike. Wonder if the robot CF frame on that new BMW is less prone to issues?

Back