BST carbon fiber wheels! WOW!

regarding the smashed BST Rim

the new Rotobox boost Carbon wheels have a 3mm stainless steel wire at the wheel / tire bead location.

might have avoided that..

i have a set of these but avoid Pot holes where possible, but a little more piece of mind :beerchug:

carbon wheel.jpg

without anyone getting all butthurt... bear in mind carbon fiber is exactly that... a FIBER... take this for what its worth........ do fibers break down over time/get heat stressed/survive impacts..... we really don't know.....

There are definitely some known limitations with CF wheels . Early design Dymags carbon / aluminum wheels had some failure issues . The second series , are technician applied carbon construction ( as opposed to more modern and common pre preg construction ) and feature a more full carbon construction compared to the older wheels , and have theroreticaly addressed any construction issues . Interestingly , still warn to avoid direct sunlight .
The BST wheel has some sort of sunscreen on their wheels for sun fatigue , and are pre preg construction is ultimately the best construction method with uniform heat and pressure forming .There have been some very notable failures , I have seen youtube footage of a BST rear wheel of single sided swingarm application on race bike , sheared hub from spokes on corner exit .
And Rotobox , the new player , started out with some construction quality complaints , but have worked steadily through those issues for their second gen wheels , which are the lightest .
Marchesini wheels also make a very expensive carbon wheel , not up to speed on those unobtainium !!
I guess you have to acknowledge the potential risks , and decide for oneself what it is you desire ... I own 2 sets of BST wheels , and I absolutely love them lightweight super sexy rims !! .:rolleyes:

I almost bought a set for my gen 1 Turbo until I saw the pictures of a rear wheel that had the hub ripped right out of it! I Changed My Mind..

BMW has a robot making their CF parts for the HP4 Race. They claim this reduces the minor variations that are inherent in hand laid CF. If this is actually true, it should revolutionize CF as a structural material for mass produced motorcycles. I believe a properly constructed CF wheel is stronger than most wheels, but when CF fails it snaps, unlike many metals that yield before catastrophic failure.

BMW has a robot making their CF parts for the HP4 Race. They claim this reduces the minor variations that are inherent in hand laid CF. If this is actually true, it should revolutionize CF as a structural material for mass produced motorcycles. I believe a properly constructed CF wheel is stronger than most wheels, but when CF fails it snaps, unlike many metals that yield before catastrophic failure.
CF is a FIBER... it CAN be recycled.. its difficult to do it.. but it is melted and recyclable.... anybody know exactly how well CF does with heat cycles over and over and over over years? will the epoxy resin lose ANY integrity?

Simply not true. There are many resin combinations and the way the fibers are laid changes the properties of the finished material. You can rest assured that the CF bodies on an F1 car are not the CF in your fender.
there is NO Carbon fiber is my life... and as long as I can help it there never will be... I don't even have a cell phone... Far as I am concerned its 1970... things were simpler... simpler is almost always better than complicated.

there is NO Carbon fiber is my life... and as long as I can help it there never will be... I don't even have a cell phone... Far as I am concerned its 1970... things were simpler... simpler is almost always better than complicated.

Well turbos were new at one time. A blanket statement about a material like CF is sort of simple minded. Advanced materials will change what is now possible. To just opt out of that because you like simple is your choice obviously, but .......

Well turbos were new at one time. A blanket statement about a material like CF is sort of simple minded. Advanced materials will change what is now possible. To just opt out of that because you like simple is your choice obviously, but .......
its ignorant.. I know.. I'm simple minded... just remember arch.... jellyfish survived 650 million years without a brain....

Hey Ali123 , with your choice of motorcycle , Gen 1 turbo Busa , contradicts the '70 s simpler tech you are stating that is your philosophy a bit ... You have said yourself that the turbo you now own was built with every gadget possible , including complex electrics and wiring , which has caused you some dramas . Carbon fibre has been around since the early '90 's , so ain't to new in some ways .
Really , you might have had a bullet proof GS1100 based bike , or even a Kawasaki Z series from closer to those old days , and still had a killer extended wheelbase turbo bike , for straight line street racing / riding .
Everyone's got to get what they want , what makes them happy ,be it old or new technology .
I reckon that Busa you own may nearly have the power to drag you through a 'close encounter space wormhole', and out the other side to 2018 + , modern tech era bro !! :thumbsup:

Hey Ali123 , with your choice of motorcycle , Gen 1 turbo Busa , contradicts the '70 s simpler tech you are stating that is your philosophy a bit ... You have said yourself that the turbo you now own was built with every gadget possible , including complex electrics and wiring , which has caused you some dramas . Carbon fibre has been around since the early '90 's , so ain't to new in some ways .
Really , you might have had a bullet proof GS1100 based bike , or even a Kawasaki Z series from closer to those old days , and still had a killer extended wheelbase turbo bike , for straight line street racing / riding .
Everyone's got to get what they want , what makes them happy ,be it old or new technology .
I reckon that Busa you own may nearly have the power to drag you through a 'close encounter space wormhole', and out the other side to 2018 + , modern tech era bro !! :thumbsup:
Trust me.... I did ALOT of shopping... the Busa is FAR and AWAY the best platform to make a streetable monster... the intercooler was necessary... along with the electronics... I do think though that a good quality standalone ecu... would be a good idea... ill try to talk frank into it... I don't wanna piss him off.. its almost summertime... a standalone is a project......he is BUSY...... but I have to have some way to occupy my mind during the winter.... so I come up with ideas...... turns out MOST of my ideas suck.... I give frank a lot of credit for not just hanging up the phone on me with some of the things I ask... but I'm learning stuff.

LOL! I love you man. You are a funny guy and I like your posts. Always a good response. :beerchug:
I must be getting old arch.... I paid off my last credit card recently ... and I'm actually feeling good about it.... its funny when I was in my 20s I always felt like I WAS the one getting over on the credit card companies... I now know that no matter what... the credit card companies always win... always.... ahh well... at least I'm done with discover..... I never thought that battle would end... jesus... even 5 grand on their card... takes FORVER if u just nickel and dime it down.... but wait.... wait..... I still gotta pay frank.....lol.... it never ends.

I must be getting old arch.... I paid off my last credit card recently ... and I'm actually feeling good about it.... its funny when I was in my 20s I always felt like I WAS the one getting over on the credit card companies... I now know that no matter what... the credit card companies always win... always.... ahh well... at least I'm done with discover..... I never thought that battle would end... jesus... even 5 grand on their card... takes FORVER if u just nickel and dime it down.... but wait.... wait..... I still gotta pay frank.....lol.... it never ends.
I’m sure he accepts discover lol

Back