Burr it's cold !!!

kennym4

Registered
It's starting to get cold, but I have to still ride !! Below 30 to me is cold. Well I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just can't see myself in leather pants. I'm 6 ft. tall, 240 lbs. with a 38 waist, so cut me a little slack. Right now I'm just wearing a wind/rain suit over my normal riding gear. But add my leather jacket over that, and I feel like I can't move.
I've seen some pictures of people wearing what looks like cold weather gear, from time to time here ? (I think DADOFTHREE was one ?) Anyway, do you guys & gals have any ideas ? I would like to find a matching set. (pants, and jacket.) Mayby even some nice boots. Would a pair of waterproof boots work better as far as warmth is concerned ? And do they have cold weather riding gloves ?

Are Leathers warm ? I might just have to do it, LOOK OUT !! I just see this picture in my head, and it ain't pretty !!! I just see a fat man in spandex
ohsnap1.gif

THANKS PEOPLE !!!
Kenny

I like my leathers, although I'm going to have to be real about what size I should wear... I'm about the same size as you with a big stomach - I like to eat, what can I say? I bought the jacket many moons ago when I wasn't as heavy and it's getting too small... Try getting a fairly large jacket so you can put layers on underneath.

I was wearing two shirts and my leather jacket (with liner) yesterday around 50 degrees, and I was cold. I think I'm going to try underarmour. I try their heatgear and it's good, time for cold gear...

For pants, it's jeans unless going to work then unfortunately, slacks. I'm looking for a full leather set now...
smile.gif

I got the joe rocket sets from newenough.  i have to say, i've riden down into the 20-30s and was plenty warm with the right layers under it.  They have a wind/water proof set that when I wear thin long john bottoms and slacks I'm golden on the lower side.  The upper end, I have a wind/water proof one with the liner, which can be worn alone as a fleece jacket.  It too is plenty warm.  The coldest part for me was always my neck/chin.  I solved that by a trip to the HD store (yeah yeah, an HD store) but they have a really good selection of neck/chin warming gear (think about it, all the HD morons with the beanie hats?).  So with the right layers, I'm dry and warm
cool.gif

HTH  
beerchug.gif

I checked out the Joe Rocket cold stuff, it looked really nice. I'm waiting for this new Alipinestars 1pc oversuit that's simliar to come out. I hear it runs big enough to just pull on over clothes, which would kick ass. 1pc would be a lot less fiddly than 2pc.

smile.gif

My neck use to get so cold last year that it would actually be painfull. So one dat walking through the mall I saw a stand in the middle of the walk-way, that sold these hood looking things that you can wear like 4 different ways, best $30.00 I ever spent !!

I have an AGV leather jacket that's a few sizes too big, which I'm lovin right now because I can throw it over my sweat shirt, and wind/rain suit. It's just I feel so bundled up, like a little kid who's mom put so many layers on they can't even move in.

BAH!!! Yu buncha gurrrly-men!!
j/k guys...sorry WI native so 30 deg. is like ah-when we stop wearing shorts, LoL

I use the Underarmor Cold Gear Mock-turtle neck shirt-full sleeves, nice n thin fits under ANY shirt/sweater you like; then my ICON Motorhead leather w/liner for upstairs...for pants I've yet to find anything long enuf in "cold" gear...(y do they think only short guys ride in cold???
guns.gif
) so I use my ICON Strongarm jeans over some L.Jons, and my boots are just big enuf if I can wear some nice thick socks.
I never go long-distance in cold weather (10-15mi. at most under 50 deg.) so I stick to my reg. leather/Ti track gloves, but if I had to ride longer-I'd get some thin gloves w/thinsulate lining and stuff them inside some leather bike gloves that r big enuf
beerchug.gif
or there's always heated grips (ask Pashnit-he knows where to find'em)
Underarmor also makes a full-face mask for ColdGear-tucks right into the Mockturtle so I dont get an
icy neck, and it cuts back on wind up-draft into your lid
thumb_up.gif

'course, I dont always wear a lid when I ride in snow so I can see better....

BusaBlizzard_005.JPG

Dude !!! burnouts in snow !!
beerchug.gif

Hey kenny whats up !
was just thinkin with the wife , she needs some cold wheather gear, I can ride with minimal stuff in cold , maybe its my bear hair all over !? Anyway in my dennis kirk mag, I found her a helmet sock that I want to order, fit onto the helmet and keeps cool summer warm winter.Anybody have one ??

qr01.jpg

under armour cold gear/military issued polypropylenes
leather jacket
neck gator/belaclava

thumb_up.gif

BAH!!!  Yu buncha gurrrly-men!!
j/k guys...sorry WI native so 30 deg. is like ah-when we stop wearing shorts, LoL

I use the Underarmor Cold Gear Mock-turtle neck shirt-full sleeves, nice n thin fits under ANY shirt/sweater you like; then my ICON Motorhead leather w/liner for upstairs...for pants I've yet to find anything long enuf in "cold" gear...(y do they think only short guys ride in cold???
guns.gif
) so I use my ICON Strongarm jeans over some L.Jons, and my boots are just big enuf if I can wear some nice thick socks.
I never go long-distance in cold weather (10-15mi. at most under 50 deg.) so I stick to my reg. leather/Ti track gloves, but if I had to ride longer-I'd get some thin gloves w/thinsulate lining and stuff them inside some leather bike gloves that r big enuf
beerchug.gif
  or there's always heated grips (ask Pashnit-he knows where to find'em)
Underarmor also makes a full-face mask for ColdGear-tucks right into the Mockturtle so I dont get an
icy neck, and it cuts back on wind up-draft into your lid
thumb_up.gif

'course, I dont always wear a lid when I ride in snow so I can see better....

YO D, You're throwed off !!! Snow ? Can't see it !! Love the jacket !! Even cold, and freezing, I have to ride !! I'll go through withdrawls, really.

Busasweety, how you guy's doing ? Still riding ?

Leather pants (or textile) big enough for us fat guys, it's not on their site but Joe Rocket makes blaster pants up to a 46 waist.
http://www.newenough.com/protect....ts.html
A silk balaclava such as this one is a great help
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/Louis_Silk_Storm_Balaclava.html
and a heated jacket liner
http://www.gerbing.com/heat/jl.html
add insulated gloves
http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/
combined with thermal underwear and you are good to go!
http://www.mec.ca/Product....7217838

cheers
ken

Seeing these pictures and hearing these stories makes me real glad that I live here in S. Florida. from now on I am not going to complain when it is in the low 60's and I want to ride. For the most part a fat guy such as myself likes to ride in that weather anyhow. BigD love the snow burnouts.
thumb_up.gif

Tour Master make some good textile gear that has a great removable liner. I got caught in 30' weather two weeks ago, and stayed pretty comfortable. My hands are the only thing that got cold.

Hey Kenny - we need to get together for a ride before the holidays, weather, etc get in the way. Since you're so close to us, come on over sometime before a ride and we'll show you a large variety of cold riding gear from layering options to the electric stuff. Keep an eye on the weather for next weekend and maybe we can hit some back roads for a few hours! Let me know...

I just rode across the Sierras (2 hours @ 20 degrees @ 75mph) and over the years, after much experimentation, it's amazing how comfortable you can be with electric socks and gloves! Choices of jackets and overpants are many but electricly heated extremities are the ultimate!

Hey Kenny - we need to get together for a ride before the holidays, weather, etc get in the way.  Since you're so close to us, come on over sometime before a ride and we'll show you a large variety of cold riding gear from layering options to the electric stuff.  Keep an eye on the weather for next weekend and maybe we can hit some back roads for a few hours!  Let me know...
Sounds good to me !! Eric ? Jim ?

Leather pants (or textile) big enough for us fat guys, it's not on their site but Joe Rocket makes blaster pants up to a 46 waist.
http://www.newenough.com/protect....ts.html
A silk balaclava such as this one is a great help
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/Louis_Silk_Storm_Balaclava.html
and a heated jacket liner
http://www.gerbing.com/heat/jl.html
add insulated gloves
http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/
combined with thermal underwear and you are good to go!
http://www.mec.ca/Product....7217838

cheers
ken
I'm all over those gloves, thanks !

Ummmm...errr....uhhhh...Cold Gear
rock.gif
?

Well I have a set of fleece thermals called "Chili's".  Got'em in a ski shop.  

Also have two sets of UnderArmour "Cold Gear" tops and bottoms.  Got'em at bobos Sporting Goods.

These all fit underneath jeans and leathers.  I don't recommend leathers below 30 degrees f.  Windchill makes the leather cold.  

Lastly, for the "Winter Only" when on the road, is a suit I like to call the Busa "Supersuit" (when leathers, and layers just ain't cuttin' it).....it's windproof / waterproof.  Has one full length zip from left ankle to neck, and a right leg zip to the crotch.  It's  fully armored (shoulders, back, elbows, knees, tailbone, and hips), comes with a removeble inner thermal liner, windflaps, and pockets up the ying-yang.  THIS is the suit for those that need to commute as you can get fully dressed, and slip this on over everything, minimal extra layers.  Let me WARN you though, you put this thing on, and go immediately out-of-doors.  It's warm, really warm, really-really warm.  I liken it to a snow-mobile suit, yet is flexible.  You spend any time indoors, and you'll start to sweat.  "Really-really".

May I introduce the "entire BUSA-collective" to........(drum roll)........the "Fieldsheer Winter Highland Suit", and the Highland II is on ebay currently for sale.  This is the SHIZNIT......

I have the "Highland I" as I bought this two winter's ago.  This is the newest model and it rocks the house down WELL BELOW zero at triple digits on the speedo...ask me how I know..
coolold.gif

Mine is the exact opposite of the model pictured as mine is all silver with black accents.  This one actually looks pretty close except for the shoulder protectors are exterior.  

BUY ONE...you'll never say the word "leather" in the same sentence with "winter" EVER AGAIN !!!!
super.gif
You won't be disappointed....this is my favorite accessory to Winter riding. I can go from Las Vegas on a Winter night-time of 30 degrees f, to Mountainous regions dipping well into the minus' and "never" stop for another layer. You're biggest problem will be your nose unless you get an Underarmour Coldgear Baclava (which I also have) to keep your nose toasty.

I also invested, not long ago, in a Windjammer II made by Proline over in the UK. This little ditty wraps around the lower helmet edge, made of neoprene, robs all the breeze, and quiets things down "dramatically". Insulates the head, and makes your interior ventilation system work proper. Couple this with one of many anti-fog ideas and "You're SET"..... Did I mention, I also got a new set of Dainese D-Dry winter gloves
rock.gif
......"MAJOR TOASTY".....

Suit.jpg

rock.gif

Back