Cold legs

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
As it get's colder, I'm fixing one cold related issue at a time. As the mornings are starting to see mid/high 30's in Houston, it's time to do something about my legs. The top of my thighs mostly, as my denim jeans can't handle the 50 mile ride I do every morning to work. I was all set to go buy leather riding pants to match my Alpinestar Spinner leather jacket, then I started thinking about long johns.
I'm experiencing minor-medium discomfort with just a pair of jeans in 37ish temps. I probably won't ride when/if it hits the 20's. Anyone think I can get by with just a pair of thermal underwear under the jeans?

Thanks,
Bill

I wear TM Cortech overpants and they are very very warm. BTW, its ridiculous to wear non armored pants. Jeans are made out of cotton. Denim is only cotton. No protection whatsoever if you were to go down.

bicycle tights under leather will work good they are the same ones I use for mountain biking when it gets cold

First gear makes some nice overpants to

ya check out new enough

Those are some nice pants and they work too! Busa Bill you may want to try them or look into getting the Tourmaster one piece riding suit, or you can also look into the electric chaps , I hear they work well also. The main thing you want is something wind proof and water repellant. Juat a few options to keeping warm, I hope these help you!

cycle gear has some nice first gear pants that I bought a few weeks back for my mountain trip.

they did VERY well ....removable liner and all....couldn't have asked for anything better.

about 180.00 ....I'll see if I can get the model.

are you talkin about the First Gear HT2 overpants ? thats what I have and they are nice and warm

(CBXRider @ Nov. 20 2006,11:44) BTW, its ridiculous to wear non armored pants. Jeans are made out of cotton. Denim is only cotton. No protection whatsoever if you were to go down.
+1

I have textile pants with CE armor, wind resistant liner as well as a quilted liner, absolutely toasty. I also have heated grips which is the best $30.00 mod I have ever purchased for cold weather.

I bought some Artic Long Johns from Cabela's. They're designed to keep you warm without moving around. And YES, they work under my leathers  
tounge.gif

Well, down to the high 30's around town anyway, but without my electric thermo's, NOTHING works for long at hwy speeds except my electic heated suit. And Hummmmmmmm
wink.gif
, can you say "TOASTY"  
bowdown.gif

Anybody got the Joe Rocket alter egos...are they warm enough or as warm as the others mentioned?

Okay, I hear ya on the protection. I've been protected to the max on this bike for 11k except for my legs. Its a good idea to go ahead and pony-up for leather pants.

I'd rather get the slip over type so I don't have to change pants at work. I'll start looking at what everyone has already posted.
Thanks for your help!!!

(ozz @ Nov. 20 2006,12:01) are you talkin about the First Gear HT2 overpants ?  thats what I have and they are nice and warm
Just ordered a pair of HT2s...froze my butt off this morning.
tounge.gif

(Justyntym @ Nov. 20 2006,12:58)
(ozz @ Nov. 20 2006,12:01) are you talkin about the First Gear HT2 overpants ?  thats what I have and they are nice and warm
Just ordered a pair of HT2s...froze my butt off this morning.  
tounge.gif
cool.gif
I think you will like em I have used them for a few seasons now and never been uncomfortable
muscle.gif

it was 87 when I left for work this afternoon. was nice n warm wearing alpinestars over my slacks. Not winter here yet.

I have been wondering about this topic as well….. I’m looking for some warm armored type pants that I could wear over my work/ street clothes during my commute. I would just like to be able to pull then off when I get to my office. I commute to work about 85 /90 miles round trip a day. Anyone know of something like this?

I wear a pair of TourMasters over a pair of jeans and thermals. My legs are never cold. I rode as low as 12 degree weather last year and I was fine. oh, and don't forget the heated gloves.

Back