Why the Harley hatin?

I don't hate HDs. But, last year I've decided to play "blow up the harley" when I'm out riding.

A buddy and I were out riding. I'm on the max and he is riding a Vrod. We come up on this dude on a customized HD. Well, he starts riding like a squid cutting through traffic to get away from us just to get up to a light. At the light we just casually pulled up behind him. Well, it turns green and this dude gave it all it had, and looked like blew the 1-2 shift. A quater mile or so, he turns into an empty lot, running on one jug and clanking away.
laugh.gif

I've seen tons of vids posted up here of guys on sportbikes being stupid and we bash them too, so it's not just whatever HD vid you saw that brought out the opinions...just FYI...

I find that Harley riders can't be categorized. There are simply too many of them from a plethora of backgrounds. But, sometimes, you'll find some that will only wave back to Harley riders. I think that may have caused a bad rep for all the other cool guys out there that ride Hogs.  

As for me, I've stopped waving to Harley riders unless I'm on a group ride. Then I notice that readily wave back.  However, when it's just one rider sitting beside you at a stoplight, I've waved and the majority of them almost pretend I'm invisible. It's a little cold, but to each his own, eh?

SteelHead.
beerchug.gif

I wave at anyone on 2 wheels, period. Well, except the moped crowd. Them guys never wave back so to heck with them!

When I started reading this thread, I had this weird urge to hug a tree and as I got further into the thread, I wanted to cut the tree down! HUG THE TREE, CUT THE TREE, HUG THE TREE, CUT THE TREE!!!

rock.gif
rolleyes_extreme.gif

What's all the hoopla about. I own a softail duece and when I joined this board I was greeted by open arms by everyone here. I haven't even found my Busa yet. But with that being said my I don't take things that people say personal unless it is directed at me, and I try to respect everyone on two wheels no matter what they ride. We all have one thing in common in that we love riding on two wheels.
beerchug.gif

(yamahor @ Apr. 07 2007,12:45)
(jpracecraft @ Apr. 07 2007,11:43) ...I dont see many, or any for that matter cross country touring trips on lean forward bikes...
Actually, there was a guy that documented his cross country Busa trip. And the Europeans do 1000-2000 mile trips on their 1000's alot. Check out their mags. Actually, I think one Englishman (can't remember his name) did around the world on an R1...

But anywho. I respect anyone with 2 wheels. I wave at all riders and talk to them given the chance. BUT, it's fun showing the HD guys that think they have the fastest, most comfortable, woman getting bikes what they REALLY have. Example, I had an HD guy try to race me in DC at rolling thunder. I didn't know we were racing till I hear this AWFUL racket at about 35 MPH and notice a HD coming up beside going all out. I twist the throttle, pulled the front up a bit, and was gone... Nuther example, My bud is a die hard HD guy, always giving me crap for my busa. Says I'll never get any with it, blah, blah, blah... So, his Girl walks in and asks who's hot crotch rocket was outside... I looked at him and laughed, cause he had JUST told me the whole "you'll never get any on that crotch rocket" thing 2 minutes before... I then asked her a few questions about her Motorcycle preference, and she said she would NEVER get on a HD... More laughter by me followed.

Simply put, If you respect me and my ride, I'll do the same to you. I like HD's... no plans to own one though. I'd rather a M109 or a Warrior. But, it's a bike. I respect anything with 2 wheels...
That is a
laugh.gif
story. My father in law rides and HD as well. But have not had any problems with the HD guys showing respect I think they feel the same as most guys & gals on the .org give some to get som respect most of them around TX are good about giving it and that is why I give it back. We all ride for one reason
brave.gif
of the open road.

05_LTD.JPG

Hmmmm havent seen a tootnbrush with roller cams and roller cranks last time i saw that teck was in a nascar engine .Like i said in my last post you got to mod them 131 cub 163 hp 165 tq all under 6000 rpm .I wave to every one you dont want to wave back well then that your prob i know i have the best of both worlds
super.gif

Obviously there is wide range of opinions. And everyone is entitled to their own. The most outspoken against hds say they never owned one and never would consider doing so. Thats not much of a base to form an opinion. And to say hd guys are this or that is to say all sport bike riders are Irresponcible stunting speed freaks.. . Im a speed freak and responcible parent ,its a razor thin line but I walk it. Big ups to anyone that can see beyond a bs image to realized most riders ride to ride. If someone cant see beyond a make or model to enjoy a ride well to hell with them as far as Im concerned. I posted this to show a little love from someone you owns Asain and domestic. I found A few like myself and managed to scare up a few narrow minded wide mouths in the process.
SNAFU. Obviously you cant please everyone. I now see less of a reason to try than before.

(hayadooin @ Apr. 11 2007,10:14) What's all the hoopla about. I own a softail duece and when I joined this board I was greeted by open arms by everyone here. I haven't even found my Busa yet. But with that being said my I don't take things that people say personal unless it is directed at me, and I try to respect everyone on two wheels no matter what they ride. We all have one thing in common in that we love riding on two wheels.      
beerchug.gif
You have a softaiil and dont even own a BUSA!! what the he11 are you doing on my board!!!!

j/k give me a big hug you
biggrin.gif

(jpracecraft @ Apr. 11 2007,14:35) Obviously there is wide range of opinions.  And everyone is entitled to their own. The most outspoken against hds say they never owned one and never would consider doing so. Thats not much of a base to form an opinion.  And to say hd guys are this or that is to say all sport bike riders are Irresponcible stunting speed freaks.. . Im a speed freak and responcible parent ,its a razor thin line but I walk it. Big ups to anyone that can see beyond a bs image to realized most riders ride to ride. If someone cant see beyond a make or model to enjoy a ride well to hell with them as far as Im concerned. I posted this to show a little love from someone you owns Asain and domestic. I found A few like myself and managed to scare up a few narrow minded wide mouths in the process.
 SNAFU. Obviously you cant please everyone. I now see less of a reason to try than before.
LOL..

You posed a question, people gave you answers, most of which were do to the arogance of most harley riders and the fact most Harley riders snub their noses at sportsbikes.

Then you bash the people for answering your question.

I learned a long time ago if you dont think you can handle the answers dont ask the question.

btw, welcome to the board. if I had the money I wouldnt mind owning a cruiser and a sports bike. matter of fact if they get the bugs worked out I wouldnt mind adding a VROD to my stable.

But I still would probably cruise my VROD with my friends who own sports bikes. My personality would not fit in with the cruiser crowd. Most of the cruiser crowds are too arogant

(jpracecraft @ Apr. 10 2007,19:57) Sure , I drive Chevys and Hondas. Im an ase mastertech . I know more about cars than I care to.  I used to be into mustangs and orphan british cars. Im not a fan of chyslers. If you want to drive a auto that I woundnt buy ,fine. enjoy it to the limit. If my vehicle broke down I would happily accept ride in any running car. I might tease someone for buying an ugly car, Do it quite often actually with a smile
biggrin.gif
 and joking manner. But I wouldnt bash on them or their ride . Its not my choice to make.
I must have had you confused with someone else who recently posted on a Neon SRT forum.

i've been riding harleys since 1970, still got a harley, got to keep it for riding with my hardley friends, bought a busa 6 months ago, put 5k miles on it since then , love it, i never used to wave much to anyone, but now i wave at all sport bikes , but i don't wave at the harleys riders.................he he he............ya got to understand the harley riders , they mostly think there a gansters on wheels, when they ride, and that everydody else is gay, but most of them are weekend yuppies

A month ago I added an FLHTC to my stable because my wife batted her eyes at me and said "those are really cool, I wish we had one". I'm such a sucker..... Anyways, I am still unsure if I will ever be happy with the Harley, but it's nice to look at and with the new Vance and Hines exhaust I installed on it last weekend, it sounds killer too. Oh yeah, I own a SV1000 with a 2 Bros. exhaust and it sounds nothing like a Harley. Back to the wave thing...I bought a light weight Harley jacket with a huge logo on the back and the name down the arms, you should see the looks I get riding around town on my Busa and wearing that jacket. It is freakin hillarious to see the reaction from everyone including the cagers! Now that I am on the other side with my Harley, I get the same non responsiveness from the sportbike people as I did with the Harley riders. Bottom line is, if I wave and the guys attitude stinks, he isn't going to wave, and as I pass by I rev my motor to get his attention and make sure he sees the bird waving in his direction.

Yeah I get that too. I bough an armored harley racing leather and a flip up modular helmet both all black. ( both with hd logos).. Ive been teased about it but I dont believe I Im going to buy new gear so everything matches. I coulndt care less actually.The teasing only comes from the harley guys and I tell them whenever they want to race Im ready, and I wont come out of 3rd gear. They suddenly shut up.
I have friend in several local harley clubs, some are poeple you dont want to mess with. all that have seen my busa just say "damn, be cafefull" . I havent ran into any of the arrogance im hearing about. In buffalo we get 4 -5months of riding season I guess people appreciate the good conditions as well as other riders in general. Maybe im just lucky that way.
p.s. I did post on the neon srt forum . I joined just to yell at the jerk the thought running bikers of the road was funny.
p.p.s 60 percent of harley rides are in fact RUBS. Just keep an open mind because the rest of them are decent people.

(jpracecraft @ Apr. 11 2007,18:42) p.s. I did post on the neon srt forum . I joined  just to yell at the jerk the thought running bikers of the road was funny.
Yes, but there were some really harsh things said there about the cars and owners of that particular make of car.

How is bashing SRTs and calling them slow poofy flaming homosexual f@g cars any different than people poking fun at Harleys?

My area must be different than the norm. I've ridden with, and been waved to by all types. I think it has a lot to do with attitude as well. I've never felt uncomfortable mingling at cruiser hangouts, nor do I act like I ride anything better than anyone else. I think if you leave the ego at home and just enjoy your own ride, people will sense that and be much more sociable.

As for this forum, I haven't noticed any blatant bashing either. Someone trying a stunt on the wrong bike in the wrong setting and dumping it is going to draw fire. I think most of the members here are well-read and mature enough that random Harley bashing is the last thing on thier minds.

I needed to get an inspection on my bike today so I could renew my tags. The local HD dealer was advertising free inspections on any bike , so I hauled my busa to the Harley store in my trailer since it was cold and raining out. I pulled up with the trailer and went in to the service department and asked if they could do it without telling them what kind of bike it was. The service guy said sure thing bring it in. I took the busa out of the trailer up to the overhead door, and the guy opened it up. Man was he surprised to find a Suzuki sitting there. After I pulled inside, every salesman and service guy came over to check it out! They asked all the standard questions like how fast you had it etc., but they were really blown away that a guy my age was riding that missle! When the service was complete they gave my the paperwork I needed for my tags, and when I asked how much I owed them they said it's free and thanks for bringing that badass bike in for us to check out.

I guess it depends on where you live. Down here, you get respect simply for being on a bike period.

Back