NO! It HAS to be a harley!

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
just a sorta funny thing that happened to me at work today.  Thought you guys may be able to get a little chuckle out of it.

little background for ya..  I'm helping my brother in law sell his 99 Harley Softail Custom.  It's a nice bike, very good shape.. ect.   for a HD.. it's sweet..

Heres about a word for word of the convo.. with maybe some of my  *thoughts* stuck in there for good measure.

Ego - Sales, this is EGO.
Silly Woman - Yes, someone told me you had a nice Harley for sale. Can you tell me about it?
E - Yes, what would you like to know?
SW - Well.. Is it a Softail Standard or what?
E - It's the Softail Custom, 99 model. Has about 11,400-11,500 miles on it.  Some mods done, and he has the original parts also.
SW -  How big is it?
*crap.. who the hell knows.. and why does it matter anyway.. 5,000 CC and 50 horsepower sounds about right to me*
E - It's the 80 CI EVO 2 motor, 1340 CC's I believe.
SW - Oh..... How big is it though?
*what the hell?  Geez.. I dunno 60 inches long??*
E - I don't understand.  What do you mean?
SW - Is it a big mans bike or . . . ?
E - Mmmm..  Well it's a full sized motorcycle if thats what you mean.  It's definatly not small by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm not positive but I'm guessing the dry weight is somewhere about 550-600 pounds.   Is that what you mean?
SW - Yeah,  I'm looking for a Harley, but I only weigh about 120 pnds.  That sounds like it may be too big for me.
E - Well..  if it's your first bike you may be right.  It is rather heavy.  Will this be your first bike?
SW - Yes, I think I need something about the size of a sportster.  This bike is probably too big.  What do you think?
E - Well, your only 120 pounds.. which obviously isn't a bad thing, but honestly.... All of the Harleys are pretty heavy.  Have you thought about maybe something like a SV650, or a Ducati Monster?  (I have one for sale.. ya never know!! )
SW - NO!  It Must Be A Harley!
E - ........... Mmmkay.
*must bite tongue, don't tell lady what a moron she is... don't go on a harley hating tirade.. don't tell her what a freaking turd every harley you've ever ridden is.. must keep mouth shut!*
E - In that case you may want to look at the sportsters.  Is there anything else I can do for you?
SW - How much are they asking for this bike?
E - $13,500
SW - Thats not a bad price!
E - No, I think he's being pretty fair with the price.  Plus he is sick of it and wants it gone pretty fast.
SW - How could he get sick of a Harley?
E - .. Well not to be rude.. but if you ride some of the other bikes.. suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki.. those bikes. Then try to ride a Harley you won't be very happy.
SW - Oh no, those jap bikes are not as good as Harley!
E - You may be right.   Have you been trying out alot of bikes lately?
SW - No, I just need to find a harley thats small enough for me to ride to buy.
E - Oh, I see. .. Well let me get you the owners number and I'm sure he won't mind to meet you here sometime to look at the bike.  I'm not sure he will let you test ride it since it is your first bike,, but nothing wrong with looking, sitting on it, and talking to him about it.  He probably can tell you more than I can about it anyway. I really don't keep up with Harleys very much.

thats basically it..  gave her his number.. we'll see what happens next.

Harley has perfected the all out mind f**k.

<!--EDIT|pure_ego
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120064067 -->

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
to bad .. you could of suggested a " Whizzer "
wink.gif

laugh.gif

by the end of the conversation i was thinking more like a moped with some tassles and gutted exhaust would have suited her fine..

as long as I put a few "live to ride, ride to live" stickers on it.

See... that's why I roll my eyes every time I see a Hardley roll by. They buy the stupid things solely because they are a Harley. I know some folks buy a busa just because it's a busa, and a 10 just because it's a 10, but I'd be willing to bet that the poser to sensible rider ratio is much worse in the Harley world.

Oh Yeah, I get rude crusty beeyotches at the counter prolly 10 times a week trying to get Hardley parts at a Big 4 Metric dealership....

Dumsh!t I have heard so far. "Well if your not a Harley dealer, why do you have a harley for sale?" ---I laughed..

"What do you mean you don't carry Hardley parts?"
Me: Well, lesse, we don't sell harley, so why would we have harley parts? ----Then See Item one...

I've never met a bigger group of deluded, Icon worshipping, non-rider, label happy shid bricks than the typical "Modern" harley owner. They are seriously damaged. Reality took a left and they took a right a long time ago... Best part is that they get all defensive and excited anytime someone disagrees with Hardley being all powerful, but they have nothing to offer, they know NOTHING about their own motorcycles let alone someone elses... I feel sorry for anyone who actually rides the things and is into them for something OTHER than BS image, it's a hard demographic to get lumped into. What kills me is that Hardley is getting away with it... Telling ya, Most Harley folks nowadays are the same jackasses that are buying H2's for the Image... Just plain wisguided, deluded if you will...

BUT

Sportbike guys, taken on the whole? Pack of idiots as well... Don't know the first thing about their bikes, each convinced they are the fastest, bestest rider ever. They color coordinate because they are... I dunno, latent homosexuals?
laugh.gif
They buy jackets with the patches already sewn on for stuff they don't use...
Not to mention they got about 12cents to their name and ALLWAYS expect something for nothing. Hard group to get lumped in with too... It's getting harder and harder to out there on a sportbike because the squids are so thick it's allmost embarrassing to be on a similar bike. God forbid your on the Busa, attracting all kinds of attention from the wrong d!psh!7s... Grrrr.... Lots of good folks, and lots of great Busa folks, but damn it's getting kinda dumb out there overall..

Telling ya, Scooters are the only way to go... No one messes with a big guy on a scooter...
laugh.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Hey!
mad.gif

I resemble that remark
laugh.gif

I can't say much about the Harley crowd. I own one, and yes it's under-powered (even with a big bore kit), but I do like the styling and the chrome. When you're out on the highway, alnoe, just cruising with the tunes up, then it's fine. I typically don't ride with the groups unless it's a charity event. There are just as many squids in the Harley circle as in the sportbike one...they're just dressed differently.

Hey!
mad.gif

I resemble that remark
laugh.gif

I can't say much about the Harley crowd.  I own one, and yes it's under-powered (even with a big bore kit), but I do like the styling and the chrome.  When you're out on the highway, alnoe, just cruising with the tunes up, then it's fine.  I typically don't ride with the groups unless it's a charity event.  There are just as many squids in the Harley circle as in the sportbike one...they're just dressed differently.
+1
smile.gif

Yeah..I had some chump tell me his harley would smoke my hayabusa...most of them are dillusional. I owned one for a bit, they are fun to ride in their own right, for cruising around town at only 40mph they are fun, once the road opens up, they start to be a bit lacking.

I know we have dual members here (Harley/sport bike) so no offense to those guys; I started on a Harley myself...but, honestly, you have to admire even on the smallest level how much Harley Davidson SUCKS people in...I was there...I see it every day around me with friends rushing out for their shiny new Harley...it's instantaneous brain washing at it's very best...you walk away, with your new bike, T-shirt, boots, coat, stickers, gloves, skid lid and HOG membership card thinking "damn, I'm special now"...

We bought 4 Harleys in 2001; one of 'em was mine...with your IMHO overpriced purchase they give you a video full of footage of big rallies and HOG chapters across the country meeting up and becoming "a family".  Honestly, you watch the video and just want to go buy everything Harley and ride straight to Sturgis; promises of nothing but comradery and fun based solely on your purchase.  

Our dealership even invites every single "new" Harley owner back to the shop for a free jacket, a tour of the dealership and a nearby custom shop, gives you tons of info on joining the HOG chapter or Ladies of Harley...you really do feel "special" once you buy in...

My experience with buying my Busa was pretty much an exchange of money for keys, and tons of bullsh*t finding gear (women's gear just isn't up to par yet, IMO), being hassled by dealerships when I needed help (aside from you guys of course)...no warm and fuzzies going on here on the dark side, if you know what I mean...
smile.gif

So, I laugh at it all too...at least I do now.  But, I was one of 'em at one time...not wanting to even THINK about anything but a Harley.  I barely noticed any other bikes on the road; instinctively knew "hey, it's not a Harley, so why bother"...while I still find it all amusing that you buy yourself a bike and an entire lifestyle to go with it, I still say Harley's nailed a corner of the market that no one else has even tried to tap in to; if they are trying, they're paling in comparision.  Sure, it's silly to buy your dog a H-D bandana or your kids a leather jacket when they can't even walk, but Harley's riding a wave of success right now and there are more and more buying in to it every second.  I keep waiting for the wind to leave those sails, but for now, I think the market is strong.

Aside from this site, there's NOTHING to add to Busa ownership beyond buying the bike and finding a good place on the web for help and friendships/rides...fortunately for us, owning one is pretty much all we need!
tounge.gif

I hate selling used "anything" over the phone. Those type of questions are unfortunately typical. In this case, after the 2nd stupid question (or a repeat of the 1st) I think I would have suggested she go to her local HD dealer and sit on an 883, and not waste any more of your time.

Maybe eBay might be a better way to sell it the HD. You just have to answer emails from potentials on occasion.

She'll probably end up spending some major coin on a Harley and then wreck in the first month. People with money and no brains.

Hehe... that's funny...
I was at a Harley dealership the other day with my uncle who wanted to rent one for the day, and while he was doing some paperwork I got offered a test ride on a Buell Lightning... let's just say I declined until the poor salesman said he'd give me a free backpack just for test riding it..... so I agreed... took it for a spin around the block, came back, told the salesman it was a POS (very politely though), and asked him how come that 1200cc engine made almost NO power compared to MY HAYABUSA'S 1300 cc engine that I'd been riding the night before
tounge.gif
. He was like.. Oh.. hayabusa... heh.. those are fast, arent they? But you see... the thing about harley is... well... it's a harley... so I said that it didnt make ANY sense. The jap bikes were faster, more powerful, more agile, nicer sounding, nicer feeling, AND cheaper.... And besides... Hell will probably freeze over before a Suzuki dealership gives away free stuff to strangers to get them to test ride Busa's
biggrin.gif
After this my uncle rode out on his newly rented "Fat Boy"... lol.... it looked kinda cool, but OH MY GOD... WHAT A SLOOOOWW BIKE!!! He topped out around 100mph...... that's about where I would pull up next to him, downshift, and make him look like he'd just shifted into reverse!

Oh, and one more thing.... the only other thing I can think of that Harley has going for them is the "comfort" of their "cruisers" compared to the crotch-rockets... Yeah, well... at the end of a 5 hour ride I was ready to do it all over again on my busa, whereas my uncle (on the harley) was ready die from the pain in his butt!

Oh, and one more thing.... the only other thing I can think of that Harley has going for them is the "comfort" of their "cruisers" compared to the crotch-rockets... Yeah, well... at the end of a 5 hour ride I was ready to do it all over again on my busa, whereas my uncle (on the harley) was ready die from the pain in his butt!
My 883 Harley was comfy for about 1 hour...seriously, after that, I was praying to be home...
laugh.gif
My hubby and Dad (both on Harleys) are never up for the day trips with me...they just can't stay comfy long enough...

My Busa - build for the long hauls and no pain in the tush...
cool.gif

I know my sporty 1200 was only good for cruising about 80 ish and only for about an hour then it started to get annoying, around town it was a hoot, at the speed limit, a hoot, where the busa at 40 is kinda boring, but they have two different missions, the busa wants triple digits to be fun, the harley wants relaxed around town riding. The sportster I had used to get a TON of compliments but likely because it was the "sport" version, adjustable showa suspension, triple disc brakes..and dual plug Buell heads and more agressive cams. ya gotta admit, pretty classy lookin bike, this is my old one I just traded for the Busa. Not your typical Harley.
99bikeside.JPG

We just took in an '01 Softail Duece. Man it is sure a ##### to steer..... feels like its going to fall over.... Makes the C90's that much more appealing.

I have a friend that has 3 hardleys , very nice bikes ... He got an 03 Busa last week and all he talks about is the busa !! He can't get over how fast and smooth it is ...and less than half the price of a hardley......lol
smile.gif

Back