Went down tonight at 8:00pm Az time

djorgensen3

Donating Member
Registered
Went for a ride tonight with a friend. He was the guy I just finished the tranny for. Anyway rode up I-17 to Bumble Bee exit and was just going to go under the highway and come home. Well after I shifted into second I noticed that the road was getting dusty(I was going probably 70) so I hit the brakes to slow for the curves(decreasing radius) but the front washed out and I went down across the oncoming side into the gravel. I didn't know it was a decreasing corner until too late. My knees are skinned up and my shoulder feels like somebody hit it with a 2x4. My right ankle is sore and both my thumbs hurt with the left one hurting the most. I don't really know why my thumbs hurt though. Anyway I knew something was going to happen tonight before I left. I left wearing my mesh jacket and turned around and got my leather jacket. That dang jacket is 20 yrs old and it saved my shoulder and back from getting rashed. My helmet(Shoei TZ-1) took a good hit on the upper right side and also across the visor. My leather gloves with knuckle protection got skinned up so they worked. The worst parts are my knees. I don't have leather pants yet and was only wearing jeans so they pretty much got scraped up but not horribly bad. Yes I know I need leather pants. I'm still here to type this so I'm greatful.

As for the bike, so far the damage is cosmetic:
the front fender
front fairing broken and stay bent
right lower broken
right inner panel broken
rear brake lever broke off
right rear exhaust
rear passenger peg bracket bent
rear tail plastic not including the hump
right mirror
right far end
right no-cut slider bent backwards toward engine
front windshield
I will know more in the morning. I will attempt to take pics and post them if someone will help me since I've never done it.

After I got my composure and wits about me I rode the bike home 50 miles and it rode pretty well considering.

Sorry to hear that man, but glad it wasn't worse.

At least it sounds like only one side of your bike got damaged.

+1 on the gear, i'm glad your ok, prolly going to be sore a few days but atleast your here!! anyone say asprin?

man I'm sorry. im glad your posting though. whats kinda wierd is that is exactly what i was afraid was gonna happen to me today in some sandy curves. i prefer using my rear brake in those sudden decisions cause id rather my rear slip out than my frt. but my rear brakes where gone. i made it though. I wish i had some parts for you. I gave all my extra stuff away along time ago.

im just glad your okay.
thumb_up.gif

That sucks dude.Remember the thread a few weeks ago about staying home when you get that feeling before a ride.Bad Mojo

Yeah I read that one. I wish I had listened to my gut feeling. Lots of lessons learned tonight.

OH man glad your not banged up worse.
Same here! But as for learning a lesson, remember, while leather is certainly your friend, ARMOR can be your saviour! I had on good quality leather when I low slided some years back and even though the leather didn't wear through, I still had to have three knee surgeries and a skin graft and will forever have a bum knee. Get thee some knee pads man, shoulder and elbow too, maybe even hip pads and a back pad. Sounds like a lot but once you have it all on, you feel better, more secure and you know you can take a hit better than w/o ARMOR. Good luck in the healing and rebuilding! BTW, I think the handlebars do a quick left/right snap when you go down and your thumbs get in the way. My left thumb was dislocated and that's all I could think of as the cause.

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I just missed a four foot tall metal sign post and if I had been 4 feet to the left I would have fallen twenty or so feet down a drop off into a wash with lots of boulders. Phew!! Off to bed I go. Thanks for the get well wishes and I'm still here to ride another day. I just hope insurance takes care of the majority of it.

Damn glad you're okay, man. That really sucks but you'll heal up and the bike can be fixed. Way better than the alternative.

Any more, I'm such a total gear nazi, I tell people that if they are buying a bike, buy all the gear at the same time and finance it along with everything else if they have to.

Keep us posted on your progress.

--Wag--

You "walked"....you "learned"....you "posted".....you did plenty of things "right" tonight.....she may look a bit not-so-pretty, but that can be repaired..... Well Done Bruddah !!!!
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

Back