Went down with my son on 2up

KosherBenz

Donating Member
Registered
getting off at a freeway exit (doing about 20-30ish) and hit some loose gravel, and my son was on the back. The second I hit the ground I scrambled to him. when I first saw him he was face down, I helped him sit up and thank G-d he was ok. His helmet was scratched on the faceshield and his leather jacket was a bit torn/scraped on the shoulder but he was 100% ok. Then I focused on myself and i realized I was just fine too. I had not one scrape either. He is days away from being 10 and I feel horribile for what happened. I just feel like **** now. I thought my exwife was gonna kill me, but she saw how upset I was that my son could have been hurt real bad and she didn't even lay into me. (like she normally does for everything)

<-- guess I am not winning father of the year award.

Anyways on to the bike: bent the front forks as the front wheel is angled to the right. Scraped the rear, front and right side fairings real good. Anyone got a lead on the forks. if not I will just have to pay the stealership to get them replaced.

wow i`m glad you guys are ok!
the bike can be fixed.

Thankfully you're both o.k.; that's all that matters. I don't know of any forks for sale, perhaps someone here will.

Glad your both ok, i just had a mishap myself, all ok though. Sounds like you were both wearing gear.

Glad you're okay.

Nearly the same thing happened to me when I was about six years old. My dad had me on the back of his bike. Going around a corner in an intersection he hit some gravel and we wiped out. We were both okay but a few days later, my dad sold the bike and forbade any of us to ever ride bikes after that.

Again, glad you're both okay.

--Wag--

you might not have bent the forks. You might have just twisted them in the upper and lower triples. If that's the case you just have to loosen the 2 triples and re align. Glas your ok man

sh!tty story but great outcome! good to hear that you guys are alright. how's your son? is he still shookin' up a bit?

Wow, my biggest fear just happened to someone else, I worry about that evey time we ride 2up, he's only 15 and he loves to ride, all we talk about is the day we purchase his first ride and ride together........ we got in a couple of 100 yesterday and I think about my cash and what would happen if he was on the back....

I am so glad that you are both OK, guess we'll just keep wearing all the right gear and ride heads up!

jump9.gif
SHOCKED.gif

When you get the bike up again, just make sure that he gets to go again. I think, in the long run, you will both be better off by "getting on the horse that threw you".

Todd

Glad that you had him geared up... story might have gone a little differently otherwise...

Thankfully, you are both okay...

Glad to hear you are both OK!! You are lucky!! I have 3 kids. 9, 10, 12 years old. My 2 sons love the bike. My daughter is scared thanks to my soon to be Ex wife telling her how dangerous it is etc.. I always take it easy with them of course but that thought always is there in my mind supposed something happens. I would never forgive myself! We just saw a bike that had gone down yesterday. A chopper and the guy was on the ground with 8 million police, ambulances, fire trucks, etc. around him. That hit home with them a little bit. Anyway hope you get your bike up and running soon.

Glad you and your son are ok. I have thought about giving my kids rides before but am always to scared to.

Dude, dont think your not a good father...you had his gear on, rode sensibly, sh*t happens, and when it did, you did what a good father should...went to the side of your son first! God Bless you. I fear this will happen with me, my son, 6, loves to ride, he talks about non-stop and his birthgiver is a wretched *&*^$&^%@$#@*@( you get the point. Anyway, I know if anything ever happened to him, even if he was ok, that would be the end of it for him and I. I agree about getting him back in the saddle soon so he doesnt get cold arse syndrome.
As for the forks, are the obviously bent or just the wheel cocked to one side? If its just cocked? If you pull a string thru the axle and up each side you can move the string around various points and see if the forks pull away from parallel. If that seems straight, simple enough, raise front (use stem mount stand or something to support bike if not), remove wheel, pull the forks, roll on true surface, if straight slide them back in, paying attn: to see if there is any binding when sliding into the top clamp. If its all good, reassemble and they should sit straight. I had to do this process after dropping mine. I loosened up the forks once, but it wasn't enough for them to relax back straight. Once we removed them, and reinstalled, it was butter. GL.

glad you both are OK. good for you for having the proper gear on both of you. I will not let my daughters on my bike without gear on.

Wow - glad that you are both OK! The bike can be fixed - you and your Son are more important.

Back