vrod for busa?

Hey, I am a Harley convert (almost) I get an LE in 10 days. I built Harleys for 5 years and I am going straight to the BUSA.

You will be happy.

Do it, you wont regret it, got mine on Feb 26. Even with crappy northern weather I have 3300 miles and about 150 of them on a poker run with snow flurries.....and I have yet to get any crap from my hog riding friends....eventhough very few of them have had the nads to get on it!

DID IT!--yesterday traded the old vrod for an 05 red and black-i rode the rod about 35 miles to the dealership and at 75 my face was hurting!--rode the busa home doing 80-90 and it was a pleasure--i did not even get the rpms past 6k and man did this thing feel like a rocket!!--ended up getting it for $9480 plus tag and title no tax with the trade in--they crooked me a little on my trade in, but i got some nice gear(shoei helmet-nice riding jacket and gloves) and even got to leave with a decent check from them. Really liking the bike, and my back hurt less from riding it than my harley which suprised me alot. put about 60 miles on yesterday and the only real pain to speak of was in my hands which was not bad-do you guys think the frame sliders are a good idea, and what about the heli bars?--would that help with the hand discomfort or is it just something i have to get used to?-cannot beleive the torque this thing has-Ben

Frame sliders, kickstand mod for sure, Heli-bars to will take some of the weight off your wrists. Congrats on your purchase, welcome to the addiction.....

congrats I went from Harleys' to the Busa too as in my notation I love my Busa.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
P.S. wait till you really twist that right wrist The Beast comes to life.
firedevil.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

have always been a harley guy-10 years or so now. I went up to ocala florida last weekend and a friend came for a visit-he has a gsxr1000--i have picked on him for years for his crotch rocket ways being an ignorant harley guy that i was. He said to me, just take it out for a spin. Instantly hooked and am now shopping and thinking about trading in my vrod for something. I am torn between a gsxr1000 and a hayabusa. I am a bigger guy--6 ft 250 and felt pretty good on the gsxr, but i only rode it for about 5 minutes. THe more i read, the more i am thinking about a busa as it seems the logical choice-what are some opinions here?
Like you, I've been on Harley's most of my life. I got tired of all the posing and custom bike cliche's and people riding 4 miles to the bar to talk about their bikes. Then I rode a BMW and felt a little of the technology that just isn't available on Harleys. I didn't miss the vibration either.

THEN...I decided I'd like to ride something fast, Got a 2005 Busa a couple weeks ago, and it is a whole new sport. I know I'll never do 400 miles/day on it - but that's not I'm going for.

A vrod is quicker than my Heritage, but when I get on my Heritage now, all that seems to happen when I give it more gas is that the engine makes more noise. If I pulled the same throttle maneuver with the Busa, I'd be in outer space. The other difference is brakes. The Harley feels now like it doesn't have any.

So for touring, I've got my BMW. For fun, I've got the Busa. And the Harley is for sale.

Welcome to a whole new sport.

Get the Busa. The GSXR1000 is not going to be as cruising friendly. Busa is the absolute best all around bike on the planet. BTW thank you for putting another Harley out of it's missery.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116737375 -->

Frame sliders, kickstand mod for sure, Heli-bars to will take some of the weight off your wrists. Congrats on your purchase, welcome to the addiction.....
Mr Brown is right on the money with sliders and kickstand mod.
As far as heli-bars are concerned, I'd wait a little bit. Ride it for awhile. Let your body get used to the new riding position.
At 6', your reach should be such that it won't be a problem. My opinion is that you've got better control with the stock set-up.
You made a great choice, this machine is (in my opinion) the best all-around bike available today. CONGRATULATIONS!
Welcome to the board!

I went with a genmar riser (the x-2) Then took it off after I got used to the seating of the Busa. Remember the Busa Has more Torque (about 30 Lb/FT more) than Your v-rod and is quite a bit lighter.

All of the cycle magazines are painting the new 05 GSX-R1000 as the new King of the Hill. It's a pretty impressive machine. I'd love to test ride one.

Man, I guess I'm not the only one. I wonder how many V-Rod-Busa converts there are on this forum.

Did Harley know that making the V-Rod would have many of their loyalist jump ship like others and myself have done?!?

The V-Rod was a great bike, but the added speed compared to the air cooled, with the poor handling characteristics due to the 38 degree rake made me want a better handling bike that could cope with the increase in power...oh yeah and of course speed is always an addiction...more, give me more.

The Busa, in some really weird way seems to be the successor from Harley converts into the sport bike arena. I guess it only makes sense. Harley makes the best/coolest cruiser bikes in the market IMHO, and Zuk makes the best/coolest big bore.

Any V-Rod or harley traditionalist who have moved on to the busa, please post updated perspectives, as I just recently sold my V-Rod and am awaiting a good deal on my first sport bike.

I have ridden a busa and loved it, so I know what all the hype is about, but am looking for feedback on longer use. I road a R-1 and it was to extreme for me, comming from riding a lounge chair.

You mean you got only about $4K for the VRod on trade?

have always been a harley guy-10 years or so now.
My sincerest condolences....
laugh.gif

Boy did you do the right thing ditching the VROD for the Busa.
The Busa is MUCH BETTER for your back. That legs forward position of the VROD (cruisers) puts most of the wear/tear and shock absorbtion on your lower back.

Whereas the Busa, your shoulders, and lower neck sustain you. Get helibars...I have them and LOVE them. Just remember to always keep your elbows bent and a loose grip on the bars, will help out the hands a lot.

Welcome aboard! Ride safe.

I had a V-Rod for 3 years, actually had the second one in Ohio when the 02 came out.. I liked the bike a-lot, but the tank was too small, that was my only gripe and it was enough that I traded it for my Road King, then the 05 CVO's came out and I really liked it, but I wanted to keep my Road King hence, the Busa.. I ride it about 90% of the time now. I put 40,000 miles on my V-Rod, but to tell you the truth I think the Busa is a better bike, much more fun..

Back