Educated a Harley Rider

What a timely post for me! Tomorrow I'm riding my HAYBUS south down the Sierras to the town of Bishop, CA where I'm meeting my brother and SIX of his Harley buds for a couple of days doing mountain passes and ending up in Yosemite. I think this'll be a little painful for me in the twisties but will teach me patience! Also, I'll have time to switch around the XM stations on the Zumo. I'm sure the evening conversations will be interesting.

my "bagger" below

Great looking bike....

I like ape's on a softail or dyna. There's something cool about riding a bike with them.

(I work for Harley and have to ride everything I work on)

If you guys have any HD questions and want legit answers you can ask me. I will answer as best as I can.

I like ape's on a softail or dyna. There's something cool about riding a bike with them.

(I work for Harley and have to ride everything I work on)

If you guys have any HD questions and want legit answers you can ask me. I will answer as best as I can.

Now thats cool. Vegas auctions off the metro police bikes twice a year with 12-22k miles on the clock. I will have to keep you in mind if I pull the trigger for a slow 2007 road king for $7000.

I don't even waste my time with them anymore, most of them dont wave back. I only wave back to those who wave at me. So far I think I can still counting them with one hand.:laugh:

I use to take it personal, but I've been riding almost every day with my father (he has a Harley), and there are guys that don't wave to him either, I guess they're just too cool to wave to anyone. However there are some that will wave to him, then pull their hand in real quick when I go by ?

Everyone is pretty cool out here at the saloon.

vegas006.jpg

Where those guys drinking water? :rofl:

I was comming home from daytona biktoberfest last year and came up to a light a v-rod harley pulled up wanted to race me so i figured what the heck well I beat him by just a little bit but I was on my sons little gsxr600 and I weigh 220 so I could only imagine I could just cruise past him not even trying on my busa:rofl: but I will admit it sucks to see a cruiser drive by with a smoothie in his hand at 90 degrees out and I am sweating it out in my gear.???

I ride with 5 guys at work that own Harleys and they are in awe of what a Busa can do and how they look. For the most part , I get alot of waves and questions about my Busa and alot of respect from other bike riders. I think there is a big mis-conception about Harley Riders and how they look at sportbike riders . Most of them openly admit that the Busa is more than they need. Most people that buy Harleys buy them for Cruising and not for speed.

I agree. I think the Hardley stereotype is a little misleading sometimes as many riders who buy Harleys are midlife crisis accountants and lawyers who really are noobs with little or no riding experience and very little knowledge about bikes in general. They just want a Hardley for the lifestyle and cause they think it makes them look badazz. They head down to the local Hardley dealer and let the salesman talk them into the model with the most chrome and lowest seat and slap down a cheque for the MSRP. Voila, James Dean/Marlon Brando/Peter Fonda hits the streets and the posing begins.

I like HD.. Hope to own one one day.. Well when my dad retires from riding. lol.. Either way, I have to say, I know a lot of harley riders as I grew up around a lot of them, and most will talk jack about must jap bikes, but what I have noticed is that the Busa will make friends every where I go. I go to a bar by my house that's all harley's, stars, victories, etc and I am the ONLY sports bike. Never got flack, and even get compliments. So I still wave at them and most wave back. It's the Duci's that are snobbish to me.. (maybe because if I wanted to they could only look at my baby's beautiful arse end and they still spent thousands more for their bike.. lol)

Busa can go sport or hang with the cruisers. Not too many bikes can be a be all end all solution. Shy of running mx... Although I did see that 3 wheeler dirt bike made from a busa... lol

I ride with 5 guys at work that own Harleys and they are in awe of what a Busa can do and how they look. For the most part , I get alot of waves and questions about my Busa and alot of respect from other bike riders. I think there is a big mis-conception about Harley Riders and how they look at sportbike riders . Most of them openly admit that the Busa is more than they need. Most people that buy Harleys buy them for Cruising and not for speed.

+1
Two totally different bikes made for specific purposes. Some will try to make a cruiser fast, some will try to make a sportbike into a cruiser, some enjoy the best of both by having them.
To me, a biker is a biker. We all share the same passion, having the freedom of enjoying the bikes of our choosing. It's not Us vs. Them, unless that is your mindset.
If you have the opportunity, swap rides with a cruiser bud of yours. Ride with an open mind and try to feel the feeling its owner enjoys. Beware though, you may feel the need of a second bike. Perhaps as will they.
I acknowledge all bikers, because we share a common interest. With people texting, browsing, and other things more important than driving, I've no room to segregate the bikes of ones choice. Some do though. They're really missing out!

The only time I have anybody give me any static about riding a Busa is when the bikes aren't there. I have never rode up to a group of bikes on the Busa and been given anything but awe and respect, I think it's because they know I may call their bluff and tell them to put up or shut up. More than that, the Busa is an intimidating bike that you never know what it could be capable of, because the possibilities are endless as far as mods go. I get a whole lot more flack from guys that ride 600's than I do from Harley guys.

I use to take it personal, but I've been riding almost every day with my father (he has a Harley), and there are guys that don't wave to him either, I guess they're just too cool to wave to anyone. However there are some that will wave to him, then pull their hand in real quick when I go by ?
I never wave at a harley rider. If they wave I'll wave back, otherwise I treat them like a car :thumbsup: In my younger days I made the mistake of trying to wave at those stuck up bazzturds, they never waved back, so I'd just fly them the bird. Then I realized with age it wasn't worth the hassle and just quit waving at them all together. Much better way to go :beerchug:

Last edited:
I love having the nice info convo's.. 2 wheels is 2 wheels to me.. I don't care what your on as long as it a motorcycle.. except the mopeds that you need a class M to ride I :rofl: at those

I rode my bike over to a buddies house just to shoot the sh*t and there was a Harley sitting in the driveway, ??? He told me he would let me ride the Harley if I let him ride the Busa. :rofl:

I pointed at the Harley and said 85 HP
Then at the Busa and said 162 HP

Not gonna happen.

The rider of the Harley overheard and walked over, Wanted to know what kind of bike I had and more about it, We spent about 30 min just talking about the Busa, He almost coundnt imagine 162 HP compared to his 80 something HP Harley that he thought was fast.

I told him someday we would go riding and I would let him lead and when he thought he was going fast I would go by him :laugh:

We had a very good conversation, He wasnt one of those guys that just wanted to slam a crotch rocket because he rode a Harley. Who knows maybe I can convert him ???

I would like to make a comment about the Harley VS Busa. I go to a lot of the Harley Rides Just got back from Streets Vibrations. I ride a Harley also. But i ride my Busa all the time now. I have never had a negative comment with any of the Harley Riders.
I ride with them all the time, They always come over and talk about the bike. They never test me either they always want to now about the bike. Thousand and Thousands of Harleys, One Busa that i seen. We all rode next to each other.

I would like to make a comment about the Harley VS Busa. I go to a lot of the Harley Rides Just got back from Streets Vibrations. I ride a Harley also. But i ride my Busa all the time now. I have never had a negative comment with any of the Harley Riders.
I ride with them all the time, They always come over and talk about the bike. They never test me either they always want to now about the bike. Thousand and Thousands of Harleys, One Busa that i seen. We all rode next to each other.

Beginning to wonder if feelings would be the same riding the HD to a Busa (sportbike) event. ???

Reading this thread, there appears to be a little division (envy?) amongst the Busa owners toward the HD's.

Been wrong before though! :laugh:

but I will admit it sucks to see a cruiser drive by with a smoothie in his hand at 90 degrees out and I am sweating it out in my gear.???

why so?..are smoothies an insta-cure for roadrash? :laugh:

you: got home safely and took a shower.

Him?:

I dunno God..i was just cruising along when i caught a hunk of strawberry in my straw and now i'm here talkin to you...what happened? :rofl:

Beginning to wonder if feelings would be the same riding the HD to a Busa (sportbike) event. ???

Reading this thread, there appears to be a little division (envy?) amongst the Busa owners toward the HD's.

No i would not ride my Harley to a Busa Event or sports bike event. The comment was The Harley Riders have always gave me Respect. I have been on both sides. There is the SBF ride in a couple of weeks 7 to 8 Thousands bikes, And some Harleys to. At Laguna Seca there were a lot of Harleys.

Well I just got back from my ride in the Sierras with my bnrother's group.....not six but TWENTY Harleys. The ride over Tioga pass was not a ride it was a parade, they just don't go fast. BUT, I must say this, every one of the guys (and gals), as stated above, were genuinely great folks. I had a great time and yes, they constantly talked about my Hayabusa. Something really funny/cool happened, we were all lined up at a viewpoint/rest stop and as this really pretty girl was walking past all the bikes she stopped at my Busa and said in a loud voice, "Oh my Gawd, that bike is SICK! I can't believe how badass that thing is". I was embarrassed but quite satisfied! The Harley's were all hi dollar and beautiful but the Busa looked like a missle in contrast.
Anyways, I'd ride with those guys anytime. Doyle

I think you will find that we have riders on Harleys and other makes of bikes at most all of the org meets, and they have a great time and don't feel looked down on. :thumbsup:

Back