Harley Warranties

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Was talking to my dad this weekend, he just bought a new 2016 Harley with all the bells and whistles. He told me that he had a friend that had some vibration problems on his new Harley so he took it to the dealership and they pulled his serial numbers and told him that he had a bad motor mount. The dealership went on to tell him that they were not going to cover the warranty because he had a trailer hitch installed on it that he used to fly POW & American flags on when he rides with the Patriot Guard. Not only did they tell him they were not going to cover his motor mount but they voided his entire bike warranty, added his serial number to an apparent "Do Not Service List" then showed him the warranty details that describe the limits.

Apparently if you make ANY changes to the bike you void the entire warranty... (Bad Move Harley) Can you imagine if Suzuki did that to us? No more trash can mods or lights, exhaust changes, anything at all...

Anyone have any experience with this. I find it sad that Harley Davidson will void a warranty for something that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue that is being looked at.

Cap

Being a HD owner myself I can only speak on my own experiences but I have heard guys with issues like this on the HD forum.

The dealership that I purchased my HD from has a Service Manager is pretty cool. Prior to installing the aftermarket parts on I asked him about this very issue and how I heard similar horror stories. He told me that it's @ the dealerships discretion.... He said that he doesn't mind installing aftermarket parts and the warranty work is billed to HD so they bill them for the labor and parts. He said that the only issues he has is guys raking or modifying the frame or modding the engine with a bore kit or turbo and then bringing a bike in for warranty issues that are a direct result of those modifications.

So you slap a turbo on your bike and go beating it around town and throw a rod they won't service it under warranty because he said that HD has investigators who they send or want to see pics of the malfunctioning part. Those are the guys who are sticklers for the rules. And when they see a anything non HD they will try to blame that part even if it doesn't have anything to do with the issue. Like your tranny goes bad and the inspector will void your warranty because you have a non HD slip on exhaust???? Like that has any bearing on a tranny going bad!!!

So the service manager told me that a lot of times if and when they have to take pics of the issue and the bike they will just remove any aftermarket parts that can be seen. Because they wanna do the work and get the $$$

Some dealerships don't see it that way and play it straight by the book. They rather just cram HD parts down your throat and say your on your own if you choose otherwise.... And that just doesn't apply to HD. A lot of companies do the same thing regarding warranties. They will find any and every reason to avoid coming out of their pocket

Great insight... What I think blew me away is that HD took the serial number and told them all dealerships were advised to not service it and HD would not pay for labor if they did...

I know of a guy that the same thing happened to. The bad part about his situation was that the hitch was purchased and installed at the dealership. They voided his warranty because of the flagsthey said they produce more drag and put more strain on the trike than a trailer would.

Oh yeah that's why it's important to speak with your local dealer and find out what their stance is on aftermarket parts. Once you get put in that black list so to speak anywhere you take it will raise a flag and let dealerships know you bike is void of warranty coverage.

Once they see that they will have no choice to deny you warranty service repairs because like I mentioned when they do the work they bill HD for parts and labor. So they can't do the work because they know your bike is flagged and HD won't reimburse them.

I also heard of Honda Inc. denying warranty fixes for the reverse gear setup on a Goldwing cause the owner had it fitted as a trike. (That) I could see maybe but a trailer hitch and flags? If they connected having the hitch to towing something too heavy and the owner wanted warranty fixes for clutch or other drivetrain problems, I could maybe see that too but not just motor mount problems. I guess the HP to $$ to weight ratio isn't all that keeps me off Harleys...

Suzuki is a bit hard to deal with on warranties from my experience. I'm honestly relieved when the warranty is up so that I know I won't have to fight with them over it.

Google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" regarding irrelevant mods being a reason to deny warranty coverage. Summary: It is against the law.

I had an 05 wide Glyde and my battery went out before I had any problems bought a new battery fromantic auto zone. Bike still had electrical issues took it to Harley for them to tell me that the bike wasn't covered under the warranty after they did all the work because I didn't have a HARLEY battery. And they wouldn't give me my bike back until I paid. I immediately sold that bike went on a deployment and bought my busa. I will never buy another Harley as long as I live.

You all understand you just have to tell them youll sue them under MagMoss and win every time.
Especially for the poster with a non harley battery....
Most lawyers that work in this field do it on a contingency. I've had to sue dealers left and right for this fact just because they think everyone is an idiot and has no clue. Educate yourself people and youll always have the upper hand

more reason to steer clear from them junks. I went riding on Sunday with 3 other dudes with HD's and it was like going to gym and getting on the cycle machine. we went the same speed everywhere it was so lame! it was the most boring fuking ride I've ever been on! I'm all for just cruising every once in a while but not at 40 fukn mph everywhere we went smh. never again. we get up on the hi way and they all get in the right lane and go 50 fukn mph. worst ride ever!

I told them they were biggest bunch of pansies I've ever rode with and they got all offended but I didn't give a poop to be honest cause ill never ride with them again anywhere!!!!! and my bike is long and low and handles far better then their POS Harley's did.

I really don't think u cud have paid me a $100 to ride one of their bikes that day. they make NO power. they handle for poop and brake for poop. their bikes were the most unstable POS's I've ever seen. but they had their HD's leather jackets they looked kool just ask em! of course with no gloves, no helmet and regular jeans. smh

all I can think of wen I see a HD is the same thing I think of wen I see then Honda's with them load lawn mower exhaust..... I hear it but I don't see it is all I can think. HD's are the loudest most annoying bikes I've ever heard. its one thing wen ur bike is loud and FAST but its another wen POS cars are passing you cause ur POS bike has no power.

and the worst part is they really think their bikes are badass cause they loud and annoying. HD riders I can assure you ur bike is anything but badass! rant over.....

Last edited:
Yeah I mean honestly a lot of brands do this. Buy a F150 and put a lift kit on it with big monster truck tires..... Then have your tranny or something with your drive train go bad and see if it's covered under the warranty. They are gonna void your warranty quick as chit no different than HD or any other brand would do.

Was talking to my dad this weekend, he just bought a new 2016 Harley with all the bells and whistles. He told me that he had a friend that had some vibration problems on his new Harley so he took it to the dealership and they pulled his serial numbers and told him that he had a bad motor mount. The dealership went on to tell him that they were not going to cover the warranty because he had a trailer hitch installed on it that he used to fly POW & American flags on when he rides with the Patriot Guard. Not only did they tell him they were not going to cover his motor mount but they voided his entire bike warranty, added his serial number to an apparent "Do Not Service List" then showed him the warranty details that describe the limits.

Apparently if you make ANY changes to the bike you void the entire warranty... (Bad Move Harley) Can you imagine if Suzuki did that to us? No more trash can mods or lights, exhaust changes, anything at all...

Anyone have any experience with this. I find it sad that Harley Davidson will void a warranty for something that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue that is being looked at.

Cap
OK... Not sure what to say about this, It's a second hand friend of a friend story. I have a gixer, a busa, and a harley...
When I see a story like this. I really want to know What Dealership did this. This is probably not a Harley issue. It is a Dealer.
So where did this happen?

GNBRETT wats with the HD rant?? No offense but your way off base. I think it has less to do with the bike/brand and more to do with the guys you were riding with...... I'm on my 2nd Harley and neither was slow or handled like crap. Do they ride or handle the same as my Busa?? No.... That's like driving an SUV and expecting it to perform like a Vette. I still ride the same roads and ride with the same people no matter which bike I'm on. I have to adjust riding techniques depending on which bike I'm on but I assure you that you'll never see me doing 50mph in the slow lane on any highway. Still hitting twisties and enjoying the ride no matter which bike I'm on.

yea I agree to a point. I've been out 3 times this year with different HD riders and the outcome has been the same. they want to cruise at 30 mph on back roads thats fuking boring and lame. IDN about a HD handling decent tho in any form but I don't know a lot about them other then their slow and annoyingly loud and one of the dudes I rode with has a screaming eagle setup and it makes like 120 hp which I guess is a lot for a HD but the thing weighs like 700 lbs so I just don't see the point. their heavy and have a high center of gravity but many say the Busa can't handle for poop either but we all know in the right hands it surely can. ride on.....:firing:

GNBRETT wats with the HD rant?? No offense but your way off base. I think it has less to do with the bike/brand and more to do with the guys you were riding with...... I'm on my 2nd Harley and neither was slow or handled like crap. Do they ride or handle the same as my Busa?? No.... That's like driving an SUV and expecting it to perform like a Vette. I still ride the same roads and ride with the same people no matter which bike I'm on. I have to adjust riding techniques depending on which bike I'm on but I assure you that you'll never see me doing 50mph in the slow lane on any highway. Still hitting twisties and enjoying the ride no matter which bike I'm on.

When I had my HD road king a long time ago and went riding with my mates on sports bike they were suprised how I would take some corners at a decent clip speed it all depends on the rider I guess the above vid I saw it awhile ago and I have to say the guy on the sports bike is either a real novice or he's not trying :thumbsup:

I never modded my new bikes till the warranty expired after hearing 'they didn't warranty my bike after I......."
Same with my trucks

Back