Rest in Peace Whitney Houston

You asked about abususing RX narcotics compared to illegal narcotics not over the counter stimulants. Huge difference but you know that. There is a difference in needing coffee or a cigarette or an energy drink to get going in the morning compared to spending your day trying to fighure out how to get your fix.

When I walk down the street and people start offereing illicit favors for a cup of Starbucs or people start trading 50" tvs or babies for a pack of New Ports, I will classify them as addicts.

That's what I figured you would say. Anyone dependent on a chemical is an addict. Regardless of the level of addiction or the means by which the chemical is obtained. Be careful who you paint with that brush, you might splatter some on yourself....

First of all you are wrong in the assumption that there are levels of addiction. Either you are addicted or not. Also, no diffenence in how far someone will go to get a fix. The only difference is the toughness of their family/community support system or how long their financial support system can last before they turn into a common theif or street walker.

Secondly, only people with addictive personalities get so-called hooke on thngs like coffee, cigarettes or energy drinks. The common coffee and energy drink user may become irratated when the don't get their morning pick-me-up, but how often do you hear of the Red Bull car getting jack by someone for the cans in the trunk instead of the car. Cigarettes are considered addictive but the only place I have heard of people getting killed for them was in prison, but that was more for their monatary value.

Air and water are chemical compounds that all of us depend on, so do we really want to go to Abaline?:banghead:

First of all you are wrong in the assumption that there are levels of addiction. Either you are addicted or not. Also, no diffenence in how far someone will go to get a fix. The only difference is the toughness of their family/community support system or how long their financial support system can last before they turn into a common theif or street walker.

Secondly, only people with addictive personalities get so-called hooke on thngs like coffee, cigarettes or energy drinks. The common coffee and energy drink user may become irratated when the don't get their morning pick-me-up, but how often do you hear of the Red Bull car getting jack by someone for the cans in the trunk instead of the car. Cigarettes are considered addictive but the only place I have heard of people getting killed for them was in prison, but that was more for their monatary value.

Air and water are chemical compounds that all of us depend on, so do we really want to go to Abaline?:banghead:

I'm addicted to my Busa, have to see it every day and ride it once in a while. You think I need to look for help? :laugh:

I'm addicted to my Busa, have to see it every day and ride it once in a while. You think I need to look for help? :laugh:

That addictions has led to a secondary addiction to the Org. Man you got it bad. Only thing that will help is to keep riding and posting.:laugh:

I assumed nothing about addiction levels. I was simply using that term to point out what you said about an addict being an addict.
An addictive personality covers at most 15% of the population, do you propose that we legalize all drugs since the other 85% of us won't become addicted? The irritation experienced by people that drink coffee or energy drinks when they aren't available is not simply irritation, it's a withdrawal symptom.
You seem to not have much idea what you are talking about, you're talking in circles. What education/qualifications/experience do you have in the field of chemical dependency?

I assumed nothing about addiction levels. I was simply using that term to point out what you said about an addict being an addict.
An addictive personality covers at most 15% of the population, do you propose that we legalize all drugs since the other 85% of us won't become addicted? The irritation experienced by people that drink coffee or energy drinks when they aren't available is not simply irritation, it's a withdrawal symptom.
You seem to not have much idea what you are talking about, you're talking in circles. What education/qualifications/experience do you have in the field of chemical dependency?

I am not a clinical psychologist but to say I don’t have much of an idea about what I am talking about is not quite correct. Actually you are the one going in circles or you are at least trying to confuse the issue by asking questions about narcotics and associating those answers to over the counter stimulants.

From reading many of your post I assume you are an intelligent person and would know the difference between a crack head and a 2 pack a day cigarette smoker. I can only assume that you took offense to me classifying a crack head and a pill popper as the being the same and that is why you are trying to make it seem like I also included people with bad habits in the category.

So, yes I said and addict is an addict. That was in reference to the question about people who are abusing prescription narcotics to heroin and crack addicts. As far as the addictive personalities go, since you came up with a number I will again assume you know that 100% of the population can get addicted to narcotics even though you said just the opposite. I believe this is yet another effort to throw a wrench in the gearbox. I will assume you know only a person with an addictive personality can get addicted to non addictive or habit forming substances. So why the question about legalizing all drugs?

So I have to ask, are you are you educated in the field of chemical dependency? What are you motives for trying to derail this thread? Is it because my addict statement would put MJ, Whitney and Rush in the same category as a common street walking crack head? Is it my differing political views? Or is it that you just feel intellectually superior to me and are trying to flex your genius? Well whatever it is you can continue on to Abilene with out me.:beerchug:

I am not a clinical psychologist but to say I don’t have much of an idea about what I am talking about is not quite correct. Actually you are the one going in circles or you are at least trying to confuse the issue by asking questions about narcotics and associating those answers to over the counter stimulants.
OTC stimulants are still stimulants. If someone is addicted to them they are addicted to them. Where or how they got them is irrelevant. Caffeine and nicotine are more addictive than THC (active ingredient in pot), just because the first two are available legally doesn't make them less addictive or change their chemical composition in any way....

From reading many of your post I assume you are an intelligent person and would know the difference between a crack head and a 2 pack a day cigarette smoker. I can only assume that you took offense to me classifying a crack head and a pill popper as the being the same and that is why you are trying to make it seem like I also included people with bad habits in the category.

I take no offense at anything you say, I just wanted to point out the flaws in your logic. From an addiction standpoint there is no difference between a crackhead, cigarette smoker and a 'script pill popper. There is a legal and societal difference, but that is solely due to the influence big pharma has on our congress.
So, yes I said and addict is an addict. That was in reference to the question about people who are abusing prescription narcotics to heroin and crack addicts.
If there are no levels of addiction as you stated, and an addict is an addict (again, as you stated) then there can be no difference between a crackhead and a cigarette smoker.
As far as the addictive personalities go, since you came up with a number I will again assume you know that 100% of the population can get addicted to narcotics even though you said just the opposite. I believe this is yet another effort to throw a wrench in the gearbox. I will assume you know only a person with an addictive personality can get addicted to non addictive or habit forming substances. So why the question about legalizing all drugs?
Numerous psych studies have shown, and the general consensus is that between 10 and 15% of the population have an addictive personality. You claimed only those people with addictive personalities would get hooked, if that's true why not legalize everything? There is no danger of addiction for 85-90% of the population by your reasoning....
What gearbox am I wrenching?

So I have to ask, are you are you educated in the field of chemical dependency? What are you motives for trying to derail this thread? Is it because my addict statement would put MJ, Whitney and Rush in the same category as a common street walking crack head? Is it my differing political views? Or is it that you just feel intellectually superior to me and are trying to flex your genius? Well whatever it is you can continue on to Abilene with out me.:beerchug:
I am not educated at all, except for by the woman with whom I share my life. As I stated before she is highly educated in the field and I have absorbed a little of it. I'm not attempting to derail the thread, just responding to your flawed logic and incorrect assumptions. From an addiction viewpoint MJ, Rush and Whitney are no different than a common street walking crack *****, they just had more money. If MJ and Whitney hadn't died who knows how they may have ended up. There's still time for Rush to find a corner.... Your political views have no bearing on this discussion, and neither does my intellectual prowess. Your logic is simply flawed. I have no desire to go to Abilene either with or without you, and I guess I missed the whole point of that remark.

1 more time, my logic is only applied to narcotics. You are trying to apply all so-called addictions to this this thread, not me. Again, 100% of the population can get addicted to narcotics even the 85-90% you say can't. Addictive personalities will get addicted to things most people won't (everyone will get addicted to narcotics). THC is not classified as a narcotic in most medical journals except when dealing with legal ramification. Most of the time it is classified as habbit forming. Narcotics are classified as addictive. Cigarette smokers and coffee drinkers are not addicts. 15% (by your account) will have traits that resemble addiction but not to the extent of a person addicted to narcotics.

Addicts are addicted to narcotics. People with addicive personalities have traits that resemble addiction to narcotics. In the medical field you will never hear an alcholic be called an addict even though they are closely related. I hope that helps.

Oh okay you win.
Except for a few things:
1) People can be addicted to many things besides narcotics. Gambling, adrenaline, sex, whatever. You cannot apply logic arbitrarily.
2) Alcoholics are addicts by definition, they are addicted to alcohol. I don't know what medical field you are referring to, but certainly not psychology which is where most dependency is treated. In the brain.......
3) Marijuana is classified as a Schedule 1 narcotic by the Controlled Substances Act, try explaining to the DEA that your Dr said it wasn't really a narcotic. Medical journal opinions are irrelevant to this discussion.
As I stated you have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you do more research before speaking up about topics you so clearly have very little accurate information on.
My part in this discussion is finished. Have a pleasant evening.

im not so sure I subscribe to the addictive personality concept. personalities arent addictive. drugs are. some physical, some mental. personally I think its just an excuse some people use to refer to a CHOICE one makes when they decide to abuse legal or illegal drugs.

plenty of people smoke cigarettes and consume copious amounts of alcohol and caffeine yet have never used an illegal drug once in their life. and there are others that shoot heroin every day yet have never smoked a cigarette or consume alcohol or coffee on a regular basis.

and there are others that smoke cigarettes every day yet never drink coffee or alcohol.

we are surely capable of deciding whether something is likely to be beneficial or harmful to our body and our personality has nothing to do with that imo. I think its just a term society has come up with to label people who make poor choices on a regular basis.

Oh okay you win.
Except for a few things:
1) People can be addicted to many things besides narcotics. Gambling, adrenaline, sex, whatever. You cannot apply logic arbitrarily.
2) Alcoholics are addicts by definition, they are addicted to alcohol. I don't know what medical field you are referring to, but certainly not psychology which is where most dependency is treated. In the brain.......
3) Marijuana is classified as a Schedule 1 narcotic by the Controlled Substances Act, try explaining to the DEA that your Dr said it wasn't really a narcotic. Medical journal opinions are irrelevant to this discussion.
As I stated you have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you do more research before speaking up about topics you so clearly have very little accurate information on.
My part in this discussion is finished. Have a pleasant evening.

No I don't win, because you took the discussion from how do I feel about narcotic abusers to applying that feeling to everyone with a bad habit. I am not sure exactly what you were trying to do but we actually agreed on several of the subjects we just used different wording. I guess you actually won because you can point out my lack of kowledge on a subject that you became an expert on through, as you put it, osmosis.

So congratulation, that was pretty smooth. You acted like a person unable to comprehend a simple statement so that I would dumb down my points and then you proved all of my points wrong based on the definitions by agencies that suits your needs.

I guess if I had just said I viewed prescription drug abuser the same as I do illegal drug users, this exchange would have never happened. Cheers.

Back