Really considering a busa... but still a newbie...

I was going to see
if we can get a go fund me
so we can burn it to the ground . . .

00i0i_hQwaPW7LFab_1200x900.jpg

Hey guys,

I have loved the busa design since its first introduction especially the GEN II. The design is absolutely amazing. I think the time is coming that maybe I will pick one up. I love to ride every single day and use my current bike as transportation. I have never owned a sports bike, I currently have a Harley FB 1584CC and a Yamaha Stryker 1300CC but I know those do not compare to the performance of a sports bike. I have some questions that I was hoping I could get answered.

1. I'm a big guy, 6'3 240lbs. I have read all about the buell peg mod and risers for a more comfortable seating position. Do the cables have to be changed out when doing the riser mod? Heli bars? Do the factory cables have enough stretch? What is the highest riser you can run without changing cables?

2. After doing lots of research, it seems the 08+ would be better for a new rider due to the availability of "c" mode. I have owned sports cars for a long time, current one has 600+whp but I know that if you push a little too hard, it pushes back. Do you guys think "c" mode is a huge plus when starting out? Does the bike have to be put into "c" mode at each startup or can it be kept in memory.

3. How accurate is the fuel gauge on this bike? Coming from the cruiser world (at least the Harley) the gauge is a mere suggestion telling you to fill the sucker up. Its nowhere near accurate.

4. How many miles are you guys getting out of your tires on average? Heavy cruisers like to go in for tires at 6-8k miles. Sounds about right for these as well?

5. Anything to look out for when looking for a used busa? I will be honest, I will try to find one that is as stock as can be as any performance modifications are not my cup of tea on something that is already a rocketship.

6. Does anyone here daily drive their busa? I love putting miles on!

Thanks for all that have read thus far, I'm still not 100% sure I will pull the trigger soon and its not like they allow a busa rental. I figure I would have to make up my mind one day and just go for it. There are a lot of beautiful bikes on this forum!

There is a good amount of slack in the cables, I figure 2-3” should be doable, you may need to pull 1 or 2 of the guides to give you a little extra room.

I went from a 600 to a Busa, it’s like anything...respect it, learn it, love it. For me, I don’t agree with the mode selector. You need to learn the bike for what it is. You can’t expect to feel a bull for what it for what it truly is if you chop its balls off, the same applies here. Go for what you like. Also I am 5’11 140 lbs and I muscle a Busa around like nothing. A coworker who wrecked my bike was 6’0 280 lbs and thought he was a professional rider so it’s all how you approach it.

I have an 06, my fuel gauge is spot on. I can ride it down to e with the fuel light on and safely make it to a gas station. I have never ran out of fuel.

I got 3,000 out of the stock tires, they sucked and my bike is Mildly tuned with a full exhaust and air box mod with Bmc filter it took me a while to realize every time I cracked open the throttle in 1-3 I was lighting up the rear. Second set I went with a diablo strada by pirelli it’s a dual compound and I got 8-9,000

99-07 busa’s Have poop transmissions, you can basically rule out second gear unless the trans is built or at least undercut. They fixed this in 08+. Like I said my bike is on the cusp of 200 to the rear wheel and unless I granny second it skips like a kid playing jump rope on the play ground.

It’s an amazing machine, I would not trade mine for anything in the world. People love them or hate them but they are respected regardless. It’s the perfect balance of performance and comfort

For the record all Gen1 transmissions are not shiite.
Billy aka Robinson Industries the maker of overdrive gears for the bird explained the Gen 1 / gen 2 differences . Gen 2 ghost neutral between 5 / 6 th gear is due to 5 dogs vs the Gen 1 with 3 dogs . He cuts the extra two off of gen 2 models if sent in for work . Many of the gen 1 , and gen two are same part #s

Sorry guys I didn’t realize I was misinforming you :banghead:

I was always under the assumption that second gear slip was something all late model gen 1 owners faced.

Billy aka Robinson Industries the maker of overdrive gears for the bird explained the Gen 1 / gen 2 differences . Gen 2 ghost neutral between 5 / 6 th gear is due to 5 dogs vs the Gen 1 with 3 dogs . He cuts the extra two off of gen 2 models if sent in for work . Many of the gen 1 , and gen two are same part #s

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/08-transmission-undercut.118107/

Gen1 Busas are factory undercut 3rd through 6th gear on upshift. No undercut on 2nd gear which is why so many have that problem.

Gen2 Busas are factory undercut 2nd through 6th gear on upshift so that should eliminate a lot of the problems people had in 2nd gear on the Gen1.

The only problems seen with the Gen2 tranny are the shift fork pins flatten out even faster. Gen1 forks are a direct swap and solve this problem. Gears are the same face width with a slightly different pitch.

Factory undercut is not as precise as it could be so there is still room for improvement giving a tighter engagement.

Output shaft on the Gen2 was increased from 25mm to 27mm. Output shaft problems are very common on the Gen1's. Bad metallurgy caused them to pit up and weaken. The smaller output shaft has issues shearing off.

From what I read here to me it looked like they were undercutting 2-6 on the 08+

I have ridden with ALOT of Busa guys over the years and every one of them have experienced 2nd gear slip. I forget where I read but I know 05+ Owners who complained enough were able to have their transmissions warrantied. The only catch was they were warrantied with oem non undercut gears which would most likely mean the issue would return in the future.

My bike is 06 I’m original owner it has minor bolt one, intake, exhaust, and tune, I lost partial use of 2nd with only 8,000 of what I would consider normal riding

I was always under the assumption that second gear slip was something all late model gen 1 owners faced.

Gen1 Busas are factory undercut 3rd through 6th gear on upshift. No undercut on 2nd gear which is why so many have that problem.

Gen2 Busas are factory undercut 2nd through 6th gear on upshift so that should eliminate a lot of the problems people had in 2nd gear on the Gen1.

The only problems seen with the Gen2 tranny are the shift fork pins flatten out even faster. Gen1 forks are a direct swap and solve this problem. Gears are the same face width with a slightly different pitch.

Factory undercut is not as precise as it could be so there is still room for improvement giving a tighter engagement.

Output shaft on the Gen2 was increased from 25mm to 27mm. Output shaft problems are very common on the Gen1's. Bad metallurgy caused them to pit up and weaken. The smaller output shaft has issues shearing off.

From what I read here to me it looked like they were undercutting 2-6 on the 08+

I have ridden with ALOT of Busa guys over the years and every one of them have experienced 2nd gear slip. I forget where I read but I know 05+ Owners who complained enough were able to have their transmissions warrantied. The only catch was they were warrantied with oem non undercut gears which would most likely mean the issue would return in the future.

My bike is 06 I’m original owner it has minor bolt one, intake, exhaust, and tune, I lost partial use of 2nd with only 8,000 of what I would consider normal riding

My 05 has never had a problem. I have drag raced and several track days. 80K miles still shifts and runs great..

Back