Newbie Here And Considering a Busa

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Great Board ya'll got here and I hope you folks don't mind if I take the lazy way out and ask a few questions justa save myself a bunch of research and reading!!!
tounge.gif

Raised up on a bunch of Honda 750's and an '86 Nighthawk S Model....then a brand new '89 Goldwing...I know...now
down.gif
and more recently I've been riding nakeds...had a '00 Kaw ZRX1100 for a few years and I'm currently finishing up almost 4 years on a Yami FZ1.

I'm gett'in a tad bored with the nakeds and started looking at ZZR1200's and CBR1100XX's....Kaws 12R is just way too tall for me and I was talking to a tuning bud/guru about the ZZR and he advised I check out the Busa's instead.

I sat a used '03 with 1,600 on the odo this evening and it seems to fit me great but....

1. Is the Busa a good All Dayer sorta ST bike?

2. Any notable problems or mechanical issues?

3. Have there been any "Notable Performance Improvements" since '02?

I probably won't be "buying new" but might be looking for a smoking deal on a slightly used, low miles. mint cond. sorta Busa if it fits my riding needs and style....which is...46 and living in south florida but love to visit the north geogia-NC smokeys once or twice a year and just want more wind prtection, comfy ergo's and of course...gobs of umph!!!

T.I.A. & L8R, Bill.

T.I.A. & L8R, Bill.
Bill,
#1: There are several peple on the board who go out for hundreds of miles at a time on thier Busas. The bike is comfortable stock but can be made even more so with some relatively cheap/easy mods, i.e:
Throttlemeister, Tobin/Corbin seats, Doub Bubb windscreen, raising/lowering bike, aftermarket footpegs, etc.

#2: 99-00 (since you are talking used) had some issues with sub-frame cracks and starter problems - 01 and newr you should be good (former owner care not withstanding)

#3: One of the best (and at the same time most frustrating) things about the Busa is that since its introduction in late 98 (99 model year) the Busa has remained virtually unchanged from a performance standpoint - the only major exception is the speed restriction on 01s and newer (sixth gear limited at 186 mph).

Hope this helps.....you are in the right place. Welcome aboard and good luck in the hunt!

BTW, T.I.A. ? What is that (I'm sure I will regret asking)

welcome aboard - kinda new here myself- best advice is DONT get a busa . it will change your life forever . its an addiction, BUT then again , the rest of us did and haven't looked back .(too busy holding on for dear life). as those fine footwear peeps say :just do it . let the good times roll

MC Mustang...Thanks brother and "T.I.A". ='s (Thanks In Advance)

I sat an '03 that has just 1,600 miles on the odo and has one small scratch on the tank but other than that is showroom tonight but the dude was asking $8,950...high retail on an '03 Busa at KBB is $8,250...then he hits me with "But it comes with a matching helmet."....I told'im I'd pay the top retail of $8,250 and that I could care less about the lid but if I had to I'd give him $250 for it for a total offer of $8,500 Cash on the spot and stunningly???...he balked..felt he could "Get More"...I wished him luck and thanked him for wasting my time...kinda tee'ed me off....even showed and explained to him that I was offering him top $$$...I really wanted the bike with the low miles and 100% stock but...oh well.
sad.gif

The search & research continues.

1. YES! I am 6' 2" and don't have any problems on long rides. Some put on a different seat or bar raisers, etc... but I don't have a problem with my size. That will depend on you.

2. 99/00 had the cam chain issue and a fuel pump problem(fixed under TSB). 01/02 some had a starter kickback problem but most were a result of a low batterie. Some also had problems with the aluminum sub-frame with 2-up riding (my 01 didn't), they changed it to steel in 02/03-on.

3. Not really but..... 02-up did get the updated 32-bit ECU over the pre-02 16-bit. Otherwise a few little things here and there but nothing serious. Pretty much anything after 02 has all the kinks worked out. If you are looking for speed, lots to read on this site.

Otherwise you will LOVE the HAYABUSA as a racer, tourer, cruiser, etc....whatever gets your blood flowing!
wink.gif

MC Mustang...Thanks brother and "T.I.A". ='s (Thanks In Advance)

I sat an '03 that has just 1,600 miles on the odo and has one small scratch on the tank but other than that is showroom tonight but the dude was asking $8,950...high retail on an '03 Busa at KBB is $8,250...then he hits me with "But it comes with a matching helmet."....I told'im I'd pay the top retail of $8,250 and that I could care less about the lid but if I had to I'd give him $250 for it for a total offer of $8,500 Cash on the spot and stunningly???...he balked..felt he could "Get More"...I wished him luck and thanked him for wasting my time...kinda tee'ed me off....even showed and explained to him that I was offering him top $$$...I really wanted the bike with the low miles and 100% stock but...oh well.
sad.gif

The search & research continues.
That is by no means a deal AT ALL!

Hell.....you can buy a NEW 05 Busa for anywhere from $9,430 from Honda East Toledo Ohio up to full MSRP! I would keep looking for sure!

Whelp...Thanks Folks...I'm Sold!!!

Now alls I need to do is find a great deal and BTW...I'm not against flying out of state one way and riding something home....he11....I bought my '01 Black FZ1 over the internet by flying one way out of Palm Beach International to Newark, NJ...got off the plane with my saddlebags in one hand and helmet in the other....dudes fiance picked me up at the airport and I bought the bike and rode it 1,275 miles back home to sunny south florida.

I'd do the same for a great deal on a Busa and...I really like Black....Silver gray kinda turns me on almost as well though and want a '03 or newer...wish me luck and L8R, Bill.
type.gif

I looked for 2 months, and I ended up with a 2000 w/11000 miles, stock except for the seat and not a scratch on it.......................$6700.00
After not riding for 15 years I have NO complaints at all...............I may not have gotten the best deal or the newest model or whatever..........it's still a great bike. You MUST pay attention when you climb on though!!!!

Welcome to the board! Exactly what everyone has said. It may take a while for you to find what you want, but it will be worth the wait!

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

Now the answers ....

1. The Busa is a very good bike for long hauls! No doubt at all about that....
2. This bike is as riliable as it get
3. There have not been any performance based changes on the Busa after 2002...

I would definetly recomend you to go for a busa
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

There are a few of us here from the PSL area, be happy to answer any questions. We do a lot of day trips out around the lake, usually a couple hundred miles. They go by too fast............. I have owned a few nice bikes but none compare to this animal. From a performance standpoint, I spent wheelbarrow loads of cash making fast bikes faster. The Busa blows 'em all away stock. The ergos take a little getting used to, but if you ride it often it will become second nature in no time at all. As mentioned previously there are several options available for making the bike more comfortable. I can run a tank of fuel through mine in one sitting with stock ergos(even at sane speeds-spirited riding makes her consume a bit more fuel).

kinda funny, that you are going from a fz1 to a busa. i have a busa and just bought a fz1 for longer rides. still snowing around here, so i only but about 50 miles on it. im 5'8'' and the fz1 seems a lot more comfy. but way, way down on power. i cant wait next week is suppose to be in the 40's haha!! i will wait till the salt is off the road before i bring out the busa. shes my baby
tounge.gif

"kinda funny, that you are going from a fz1 to a busa. i have a busa and just bought a fz1 for longer rides. still snowing around here, so i only but about 50 miles on it. im 5'8'' and the fz1 seems a lot more comfy. but way, way down on power. i cant wait next week is suppose to be in the 40's haha!! i will wait till the salt is off the road before i bring out the busa. shes my baby."

My FZ1 isn't too god aweful bad as far as power goes. It sure as heck isn't a Busa but I did install a Full Yosh with Ivans Jet Kit which gave me 138RWHP/78FTLBS and I also re-sprocketed from 16/44 (stock) too 15/45 which sorta resolved the low end weaknesses. I actually found the FZ to be great for what it is on the backroads and during several trips too the Deals Gap/Cherryhole area where it actually handled the mountains pretty well and more than enough power for the twisties but???....

1. That 1/4 fairing sure leaves a lot to be desired regarding wind protection and...

2. Because of that 1/4 fairing the FZ's aerodynamics is like a flying brick and most fully faired 600RR's will out top end the FZ's liter class 5 valve engine.

I guess after almost 4 years and over 26K miles I'm just ready for a change...never rode a busa but sat on many of'em and while I do tend to rest my belly on the tank a bit???...they seem to fit me like a glove...we'll see.

Now...back to shopping for one!!!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board. I'm 6'4" and love the comfort of my Busa. Definitely go with a Busa, and you will never want another bike again. Guaranteed!
smile.gif

Whelp...Looks like that 100% Bone Stock '03 Silver/Gray w/ 1,600 on the odo and matching helmet for $8,750 might have been a good deal afterall as I'm not having an easy time of finding a good clean stocker w/ low miles in my area...he wanted $8,950 and I had'im talked down too $8,750 but just couldn't get'im to $8,500...what I thought was a real fair price.
sad.gif

I hate shopping and price bickering...it almost sucks all the fun out of buying a new bike in the first place.
sad.gif

sad.gif

Back