Really considering a busa... but still a newbie...

Slowstang305

Registered
Hey guys,

I have loved the busa design since its first introduction especially the GEN II. The design is absolutely amazing. I think the time is coming that maybe I will pick one up. I love to ride every single day and use my current bike as transportation. I have never owned a sports bike, I currently have a Harley FB 1584CC and a Yamaha Stryker 1300CC but I know those do not compare to the performance of a sports bike. I have some questions that I was hoping I could get answered.

1. I'm a big guy, 6'3 240lbs. I have read all about the buell peg mod and risers for a more comfortable seating position. Do the cables have to be changed out when doing the riser mod? Heli bars? Do the factory cables have enough stretch? What is the highest riser you can run without changing cables?

2. After doing lots of research, it seems the 08+ would be better for a new rider due to the availability of "c" mode. I have owned sports cars for a long time, current one has 600+whp but I know that if you push a little too hard, it pushes back. Do you guys think "c" mode is a huge plus when starting out? Does the bike have to be put into "c" mode at each startup or can it be kept in memory.

3. How accurate is the fuel gauge on this bike? Coming from the cruiser world (at least the Harley) the gauge is a mere suggestion telling you to fill the sucker up. Its nowhere near accurate.

4. How many miles are you guys getting out of your tires on average? Heavy cruisers like to go in for tires at 6-8k miles. Sounds about right for these as well?

5. Anything to look out for when looking for a used busa? I will be honest, I will try to find one that is as stock as can be as any performance modifications are not my cup of tea on something that is already a rocketship.

6. Does anyone here daily drive their busa? I love putting miles on!

Thanks for all that have read thus far, I'm still not 100% sure I will pull the trigger soon and its not like they allow a busa rental. I figure I would have to make up my mind one day and just go for it. There are a lot of beautiful bikes on this forum!

1. Cant personally help you here. I dont change my bars but I have aftermarket foot controls in which the pegs can be moved around to suit my style.

2. Dont make a decision based on the ability to switch mapping on the fly. The bike will only go as fast as you twist the throttle. The bike will always start out in "A" mode. You'll need to change it every time.

3. The fuel gauge for me is pretty accurate. I can go upwards of 180 miles on one tank never switching out of "A" mode.

4. Mileage for the tires is a big variable. Which tires? Road conditions? Riding style? I'm knocking on 5k miles so far on my three month old Pilot Road 5 tires. I expect another 7k miles.

5. Find the newest bike with the fewest miles. I also look for bikes as close to stock or with subtle mods. You can tell a lot about how the bike was treated based on first glance and what all has been done to the bike.

6. My bike is the only mode of transportation I have so I ride rain or shine all year long. I've put 5k on the bike in three months.

If your 6-3 you won’t need any bar risers. I’m 6ft and I don’t notice or need my Helibars.

C mode is good for rain or if you let someone ride your bike other than that it’s a waste and prob does more harm to the rider if you forget to change it.

Fuel gauge is like most things first half goes long ways lastbhalf goes fast but it has a fuel light also. Not sure exact amount of fuel left when it turns on but I have went about 20 miles with the light on.

Tires is that really a factor???? Couldn’t imagine thinking if i do a burnout I’ll get less miles to my tire. Guess it’s a mind set I plan on a new year a new tire .
I disagree with GAmedic on this if you want a gen 2 buy the cheapest one in good shape 13+ has abs if you want that. But it’s the same bike they are essentially unchanged. If the oil is clean and the chain looks good it’s prob been taken care of. If it has some mods you should get it basically for free a full exhaust adds no value on resale but if you want one after it will cost you.

I daily drive mine when weather allows. I use to ride in the rain all the time but my glow shift gauges don’t like the water so I get to avoid getting her to wet. Depending on where I am working I’m 40 to 60 miles one way.

Warning these bikes can be whatever you want a great comfortable touring monster like C10s bike or the fastest drag bike. Always something you can do to make it your own. I never thought I would change anything on mine and this is where I’m at now.

9CDB9FCD-B0A1-4529-AFD2-13403FABE3F5.jpeg

Thank you both for the replies. I only mentioned the tires because I love to ride, I don't see myself putting LESS than 12k miles per year on a bike. I guess I will plan for a tire change yearly. I have ABS on the HD and to be honest I could live without it. No biggie there.

Matthew, that is a beautiful bike!

Thank you both for the replies. I only mentioned the tires because I love to ride, I don't see myself putting LESS than 12k miles per year on a bike. I guess I will plan for a tire change yearly. I have ABS on the HD and to be honest I could live without it. No biggie there.

Matthew, that is a beautiful bike!

At my rate, I'll average 20k or more a year. Bike currently has 13k and I plan to hit 50k by years end.

Welcome!
I am 6-1 and put the Heli-bars on my old 08 and my new 18. The brake lines and wires fit but I re-routed the throttle cables and changed the factory wire retainer or guides.

I also took the rubber and weights off the pegs which give you about 3/4 inch more room (found that mod on here).

When I first got it I changed to C and B mode but now that I am used to it I leave it in A mode.

I have a new Harley but I find myself riding this bike more. It is much more fun!

2. After doing lots of research, it seems the 08+ would be better for a new rider due to the availability of "c" mode. I have owned sports cars for a long time, current one has 600+whp but I know that if you push a little too hard, it pushes back. Do you guys think "c" mode is a huge plus when starting out? Does the bike have to be put into "c" mode at each startup or can it be kept in memory.

The hyperbikes are extremely linear in power delivery. A busa won't ever surprise you with a sudden blast of power unless you make it do that. What can be dangerous is how stable and smooth it is accelerating quickly and at high speed. You can find yourself doing very high speed and in complete control and forget how much you need to slow down for a corner or god forbid a deer (or cop) .

3. How accurate is the fuel gauge on this bike? Coming from the cruiser world (at least the Harley) the gauge is a mere suggestion telling you to fill the sucker up. Its nowhere near accurate.
Very accurate but I never ran mine out of fuel. I've been down to the red zone and it still ran but never pushed it much farther. If the gauge says half, it's half. It says empty, it really is darned near empty.

4. How many miles are you guys getting out of your tires on average? Heavy cruisers like to go in for tires at 6-8k miles. Sounds about right for these as well?
If you ride it very easy and do a lot of highway miles you can get 8000-10000 miles. I used to. Normally with a soft street / race tire like super corsas, I will get 3000 at best out of a rear and that's a lot of sport riding and no commuting. Occasional wheelies and hard accelerations.

5. Anything to look out for when looking for a used busa? I will be honest, I will try to find one that is as stock as can be as any performance modifications are not my cup of tea on something that is already a rocketship.

I would not worry about a busa with mods if you get to meet the owner and he seems knowledgeable. Mods don't hurt anything. I love my bikes and I mod the heck out of them. They are better than when they were stock. All depends on what you want to use the bike for.

To be honest, basic mods don't make a huge dif in the performance but they definitely make the riding experience more exciting.

6. Does anyone here daily drive their busa? I love putting miles on!
Never. I used to on the ZX-14 but after a while I started to think, "why put miles on the bikes to commute if i have a car?? I only sport ride now. Don't get me wrong, the busa is a great commuting vehicle just slightly overkill for that transportation need. It's always cool to do some poser riding though. That's all a part of owning one.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'm new to the Busa and 6'1" 300ish pounds right now. I float between 290-310 depending on my drinking. I've had 2 lower back surgeries, one when I was 15, and the other when I was 21 (I'll be 42 in a couple of weeks). I can ride for about an hour and a half before my back starts to ache. I plan on doing the handlebar and foot peg mods to hopefully get another hour and a half out of a ride before I feel uncomfortable. YMMV and you will have to put in some time on the bike to get a feel if you need those mods or not. Luckily through some research, they don't seem complicated or expensive, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

PS.

The bike is hella fun to ride.

New owner of a '14 Busa here.
I'm 6' 1" and 91kg (200lbs) and just turned 50. I have the Helibars and Genmar risers and also the buell pegs fitted. I also fitted a Zero Gravity DB screen. I didn't change any cables at this stage, just loosened them up some.
My first solid ride on the weekend and covered 500 kms (300 ish miles) and only started to ache the last half hour or so and mainly due to riding a crusier last 18 mths and change or posture.
I spent most of the ride in "C" mode just to get a feel for the weight, turn in and better understanding of the bike.
I found the fuel gauge accurate, as mentioned above, first half of the gauge moves slow, then whoosh, it drops fast. But the gauge mirrors the range I got from the tank.

I found one that was stock and made the small mods to suit me - I'm not after anymore performance as it has more than enough for me.

Thank you guys for all of the replies. They have been very helpful and you guys covered all of my questions. I will try to find some time to swing by the local motorcycle dealership and take a good up close look at one and see if I can get a feel for it. No idea what a new one would cost but used ones seem to be for sale at great prices. Thanks again! I will update you guys on what happens either way.

Thank you guys for all of the replies. They have been very helpful and you guys covered all of my questions. I will try to find some time to swing by the local motorcycle dealership and take a good up close look at one and see if I can get a feel for it. No idea what a new one would cost but used ones seem to be for sale at great prices. Thanks again! I will update you guys on what happens either way.

What didn't you like about your ZX1400? Just wondering because I was considering a ZX 14 SE before I bought my second 2018 Busa.
I like the looks of the Busa better but I did like the braided brake lines, traction control, changing the oil filter W/O removing the fairing.

Well...mine has both Helibars, Genmar risers AND buell pegs installed (and there is a thread about my install with pics)...Yes if you install both you will need longer lines or they will bind...

Maybe you'd be interested in buying mine...I'm not riding it much....
11046597_405584986279101_8417569878027709661_o.jpg

The hyperbikes are extremely linear in power delivery. A busa won't ever surprise you with a sudden blast of power unless you make it do that. What can be dangerous is how stable and smooth it is accelerating quickly and at high speed. You can find yourself doing very high speed and in complete control and forget how much you need to slow down for a corner or god forbid a deer (or cop) .

Very accurate but I never ran mine out of fuel. I've been down to the red zone and it still ran but never pushed it much farther. If the gauge says half, it's half. It says empty, it really is darned near empty.

If you ride it very easy and do a lot of highway miles you can get 8000-10000 miles. I used to. Normally with a soft street / race tire like super corsas, I will get 3000 at best out of a rear and that's a lot of sport riding and no commuting. Occasional wheelies and hard accelerations.

I would not worry about a busa with mods if you get to meet the owner and he seems knowledgeable. Mods don't hurt anything. I love my bikes and I mod the heck out of them. They are better than when they were stock. All depends on what you want to use the bike for.

To be honest, basic mods don't make a huge dif in the performance but they definitely make the riding experience more exciting.

Never. I used to on the ZX-14 but after a while I started to think, "why put miles on the bikes to commute if i have a car?? I only sport ride now. Don't get me wrong, the busa is a great commuting vehicle just slightly overkill for that transportation need. It's always cool to do some poser riding though. That's all a part of owning one.

You slow down for cops?
That just gives them time to catch up.
So, essentially, you're cheating.

As wide, long, and flat as that course is, I can't see 300mph feel that fast.
I bet the big"track" changes the perspective dramatically.
I've gps'd 197mph on a 2 lane road...and it felt fast.
Regardless, I haven't been to 200mph, let alone 300mph...where do I sign up, and who wants to lend me a bike? I'll only put 3-4 miles on it.

Back