Protective Gear/Helmets

full gear always. I've only ridden without a helmet once in Utah when I inadvertently destroyed my full-face helmet at a gas station. That was an uneasy 60 miles without a lid + I wouldn't want to do it again.....

I live in Ohio where they have a helmet law, but I always wear one.
war.gif

Dunno fellas.
If some of the guys riding w/out helmets could see some of the pictures I was privy to while going through my medic courses in the Army. Guys with no faces attached to their heads from motorcycle wrecks - you would never ride w/out one. Pretty gruesome.
Even on the hottest of days I wear at least my Helmet, Mesh outfit, gloves and ankle protection.
Here in Texas I see many people riding w/out helmets. Houston drivers are the worst I have ever experienced in my adult life. I have lived in 8 major metropolis areas. Houston is by far the worst. Least courteous drivers. People will actually make runs for bikes!! It is insane.
I just don't get it.
??

I always wear full gear - gloves, jacket, riding pants, boots and helmet. On my all-black outfit I also wear a retroreflective yellow vest. I don't need to make a fashion statement for two reasons:

1. Medics will not notice your snappy attire when you are lying in a pool of blood by the side of the road
2. I'm on a freaking Hayabusa! The only way they'd be able to appreciate my attire is if I was stuck in traffic.

Helmet and gloves all the time,leather pants and jacket when theres action or speed anticipated, at the time of my accident was wearing jacket, glovesand helmet, saved me big time!

I always wear my helmet, jacket and gloves.... dont get pants my size online
sad.gif

I live in Illinois so no helmet law.

I always wear at least helmet, gloves, and boots. The jacket stays on until it gets too hot to stand, and I'm looking for a mesh one right now. Chaps are another seasonal item. I need to get something for my legs that I can live with in the summer.

wear your gear !

this picture is what happend even with a mesh riding jacket over SEVERAL other jackets . imagine if i were in a t-shirt

learn from me . wear good gloves. these werent enough obviously

<!--EDIT|gm1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113963195 -->

I was just thinking about this the other day. I have the pants on order and then it'll be a worthy pair of boots.

Years ago, I would have argued that it doesn't matter that much: You ride, you take the spills, not much you can do about it. And this after having had ONE accident where a leather jacket completely protected my upper body and my denim jeans did NOTHING for my left knee. My helmet protected my head, too, whaddaya know.

After that happened, I was insanely convinced that the helmet had obstructed my side vision and argued against helmets vociferously.

Fast forward to last year when I started hanging out on this board and saw a great many videos of guys walking away from BAD accidents at very high speeds.

I was sold.

Gear is in process. Crazy riding is on hold until it's all in. Then, look out track! Here I come.

--Wag--

My Choice of gear
helmet : definately required..
jacket : good
Gloves :recommended
pants: optional
Boots : not necessary..

I just got back from a week in Hawaii (Oahu & Kauai). While there I saw a lot of bikes being ridden, including sport bikes and cruisers.

Hawaii repealed their helmet law and probably the majority of the riders did not have a helmet on.

The one thing that was very odd that I did notice, nearly every sport bike I saw where the rider was not wearing a helmet, they usually had one strapped on the bike and ironically, most were more expensive helmets.

The other thing that made my skin crawl was that nearly all that I saw were wearing tank tops or t-shirts with a lot just wearing shorts.

I go over there nearly every month on business and have read about some very gruesome fatals over the past few years, you would think that people would learn.

About five years ago, I was the first on the scene of a crash wear a dude on a HARDLY took out a steel post for a handrail on a bridge, with his FACE......The guy actually lived but spent a year and a half in the hospital. He was wearing a Brain Bucket that was still strapped on, well kinda....

Here in Vegas during the summer when it is like living on the surface of the Friggen SUN, you see a lot of people strippin down when they ride. Can you imagine what it would be like to go skimming across hundred degree asphalt wearing a tank top?
rock.gif

I'm in Hawaii and there is no helmet law either. I see people riding with no helmet, no gloves but they do have on shorts and flip flops. Its crazy but I'm always dressed to a "T".

99.9 % of the time I wear protective gear- helmet & jacket at a minimum. It's that .01 % that will probably get me. (Helmet optional in Florida)

Back