Why don't cruiser riders wear helmets?

In Florida here, there is no helmet law. Some people simply don't wear a helmet because its their choice!
The following conversation actually happened:

"Hey man! Hows your buddy doing now?"
"Ok I guess. They said he has permanent brain damage and needs to be on life support for the rest of his life."
"Damn that sucks! Was he wearing a helmet when he crashed?"
"No. A helmet probably would have killed him."

It makes me very sad to think about that guy being a vegetable and a tremendous burden for his family simply because that is the life that he choose.
But to each their own. Its your choice.

Ive seen many harley riders nowadays wearing full leather and full helmet around in my state which is actually cool to see, some of them "get it"
Having formerly owned a Harley I have to confess i would wear the half shell but I honestly never really felt comfortable with it, but that bike threw off SO much heat anything else and I felt like I would have spotaneously combusted!:laugh:

And lets not make HUGE generalizations about Harley riders folks, not everyone wants to be a "weekend warrior", Harley has been around forever and many people prefer to support an American Company over say a Suzuki...to each his own is true..

Personally Im a fan of Big Dog Cycles myself, will probably get one to add to the stable somewhere down the road, and maybe then I'll wear a whole lid, but I honestly cannot say I will, but I WILL wear more protrction than in years past when I drove the Harley THAT I CAN say...:thumbsup:

Harley riders are not only buying a bike, they are buying a lifestyle.

They buy the harley shirts, bandanas, etc etc.

They spend all this money on their bike and image, that they want to be seen.

My personal opinion of course

the 'lifestyle' and 'image' rule applys somewhat to busa buyers also. the bike has held the title of 'fastest bike ever', people like that about this iconic sportbike. What about the people who "spend all this money" on their chromed, stretched, ghetto-cycle showbikes, and matching outfits? isn't that similar to what u just said?

the 'lifestyle' and 'image' rule applys somewhat to busa buyers also. the bike has held the title of 'fastest bike ever', people like that about this iconic sportbike. What about the people who "spend all this money" on their chromed, stretched, ghetto-cycle showbikes, and matching outfits? isn't that similar to what u just said?

I havent seen any busa bandanas or anyone wearing a busa shirt. They may be out there but rare to see.

And when you cover your head with a helmet, you are not doing it to be seen. No one can tell who you are with a full face helmet, unless its someone you know that recognizes your bike

My father started my brother and I on bikes roughly in the late 50's, he was a member of Satans Angles out of Oakland Ca. and he wore a helmet of sorts and taught us to always wear helmets, had a HD last year and still wore a full face.
Tried once not to and it just did not feel right.

"I don't wear a helmet because it's not cool to wear it" is what you usually get from around here. I suppose having the largest fashion outlet, er I mean dealership, in Iowa doesn't help the persona. I personally wear mine 95% of the time. I don't usually worry about myself, its the other a***oles driving that worry me.

A group of harley riders are trying to overturn the helmet law in Missouri right now. They claim it is a safety hazard because they can't hear emergency vehicles. Guess the loud exhaust doesn't hurt the ability to hear. I wear my full face regardless of what I'm riding.

100_0437%20%28Medium%29.jpg

wm_normal_img00290.jpg

Please do NOT wear helmets! The organ donor lists are so long many, many people die before they ever get an organ. There is no better way for a biker to pass on the joy of riding than by donating organs to those in need. Remember, NGNTT, No Gear, None of The Time!:thumbsup:

Funny, I rode the sporter to work, wearing full face lid, and all the fixings with the orange YOSHI reflective vest, got so many dumb looks sitting in trafic, I got ask why I needed all that protection,My answer:
harleys are are like hook3rs, you never know what will hapend when you hit it...:laugh:

Funny, I rode the sporter to work, wearing full face lid, and all the fixings with the orange YOSHI reflective vest, got so many dumb looks sitting in trafic, I got ask why I needed all that protection,My answer:
harleys are are like hook3rs, you never know what will hapend when you hit it...:laugh:

:rofl:

+1 on the gear!

I had always wondered when id see a thread like this haha :laugh: i dont get why you wouldnt wear a lid though. They definately do work and save lives in most cases. Millions of stories about that. I went down at 70mph and from the look of my lid id say im in that category. I still have it sitting on top of my t.v as a daily reminder. WEAR YOUR LIDS PEOPLE!!! haha :beerchug:

I ride with my x11 on both my harley and busa with same gear. It is flat black with silver hayabusa stickers on both sides. When i ride my harley i wear sports bike shirts, when i ride the busa i wear harley shirts. The only reaction is when i pull up on the busa and take my helmet off the silver hair and harley shirts, They just smile. :laugh:

I ride with my x11 on both my harley and busa with same gear. It is flat black with silver hayabusa stickers on both sides. When i ride my harley i wear sports bike shirts, when i ride the busa i wear harley shirts. The only reaction is when i pull up on the busa and take my helmet off the silver hair and harley shirts, They just smile. :laugh:

:rofl: I want to do that now just to see the reactions......priceless

I wear mine 95% of the time ,trying to get the wife to wear it is another thing its the fashion thing hair glasses makeup things like that she wants to be seen and its hard to ride around town with 10 pounds on your head:laugh:
but at least if you crash you wont look like this:laugh::whistle:

imagesCAWYR13B.jpg

Riding feels better without a helmet, at least it did for me when I use to ride lidless, at least till a pebble or bullet proof beetles drills you in the forehead. Having a windshield like some of these guys do reduces that risk. The only thing that feels bad lidless is hitting the floor, but riding definetley feels better without it :laugh:

To each his own. :thumbsup:

That is why I think that people that don't wear full faced helmets are stupid.
I totally agree. I think open-faced helmets should be illegal. IMO, the only reason the HD crowd wear them is so that people can see their faces and think, "Wow, that middle-aged accountant looks really cool."

Back